Number of ED visas in a number of years?

I like to study, and in particular languages. In the future, once the whole COVID situation is done, I'm planning on studying Thai every 2 years or so, however am wondering if I might eventually be refused the ED visa. I would be working (on a B visa), or travelling in or outside of Thailand when I'm not studying.

During a period of say 5 years, is there a limit—official or non-official—of how many (non-back-to-back) ED visas that is allowed? Is there a point where you might be refused the visa at an embassy, or refused entry?

In recent years, there has been extreme scepticism by the authorities about "students" who take longer than is considered normal to learn a language. You will usually be able to get a first Non Ed visa to study Thai which can be extended in country for a total stay of about a year. You will be allowed a second Non Ed visa at the end of a year to study more advanced Thai. Again, this can be extended up to about a year. That is usually your limit unless you sign up for a university course.

• Like 2

Just to amplify a bit what I wrote above ...

In the past, you could get additional visas by getting a replacement passport, hiding your previous Non Ed visas in the old passport. I would personally not try this now. Immigration, on entry to Thailand, will be able to see that you had a prior history of entries for studying Thai and, at the very least, might interrogate you closely as to why you are doing so again. Also, if using the same local immigration office for extensions, you would be very likely to run into problems.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:26 AM, BritTim said:

In recent years, there has been extreme scepticism by the authorities about "students" who take longer than is considered normal to learn a language. You will usually be able to get a first Non Ed visa to study Thai which can be extended in country for a total stay of about a year. You will be allowed a second Non Ed visa at the end of a year to study more advanced Thai. Again, this can be extended up to about a year. That is usually your limit unless you sign up for a university course.

I can confirm that, though for another subject (not language). I was studying full time at a proper university, bachelor and master degree until last year, total of six years. Never had any problem with my visa. Smaller private universities upcountry in second-tier towns offer Thai linguistics degree at reasonable tuition fees.

• Like 1

@CLW
Yeah, getting ED visas isn't an issue for uni students (even back-to-back).

Private language school to study Thai is I believe 1 year only. However, I have no idea if you can, for example, get two 1-year ED visas (not back-to-back), in a period of 5 years. 

@UKJASE 
Is it a uni or private Thai language school?

Thanks, @BritTim

I mostly wondering about non-back-to-back ED visas, in say a period of 5 years.

For example:

- 1 year of Thai study on ED visa

- 1 year of working on B visa

(- 4 months of travel in Thailand)

- 1 year of Thai study on (second) ED visa

- 1 year of working on B visa

Edited by ThLT

On 2/2/2021 at 1:26 AM, BritTim said:

In recent years, there has been extreme scepticism by the authorities about "students" who take longer than is considered normal to learn a language

And what exactly is considered "normal" to learn an entire language..?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:43 PM, ThLT said:

@CLW
Yeah, getting ED visas isn't an issue for uni students (even back-to-back).

Private language school to study Thai is I believe 1 year only. However, I have no idea if you can, for example, get two 1-year ED visas (not back-to-back), in a period of 5 years. 

@UKJASE 
Is it a uni or private Thai language school?

Private thai language school mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

Let's say I want to learn something else besides the Thai language, like programming, is that allowed under the ED visa? 

If at a private school (as opposed to a university) it is always dependant on what the Ministry of Education decides. If the school has influential backers, they may well be able to get clearance from the MoD to offer the program as an approved course for a Non Ed visa. One well publicised example is that some well connected military guys are able to offer self defence courses qualifying for Non Ed visas.

• Haha 1

@ThLT

Remember that immigration will test you on your Thai language skill every 3 months when you go renew your visa so it's not as easy as one thinks.

Thai is a very different language than European languages which are similar in many aspects.

27 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Remember that immigration will test you on your Thai language skill every 3 months when you go renew your visa so it's not as easy as one thinks.

There are private language schools that offer other languages and can get visas. Usually Japanese, Korean and Mandarin - I doubt most immigration officials wouldn't be able to test people on these. (Then there's English, but idk if a native English speaker could get a visa that way :p)

A select few muay thai schools too.

Edited by onebir

8 hours ago, onebir said:

There are private language schools that offer other languages and can get visas. Usually Japanese, Korean and Mandarin - I doubt most immigration officials wouldn't be able to test people on these. (Then there's English, but idk if a native English speaker could get a visa that way :p)

A select few muay thai schools too.

I am just wondering how easy it is to get foreign languages visa in Thailand considering that it will never be used in Thailand and highly suspect of the applicant's motive.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

I am just wondering how easy it is to get foreign languages visa in Thailand considering that it will never be used in Thailand and highly suspect of the applicant's motive.

Maybe, but Japan (& Korea?) are relatively expensive, so studying them somewhere cheaper makes sense... although a bit less sense than Asian English language students going to the Philippines.

If someone checks with a school about a visa for studying a non-Thai language, let us know they say????