Nationwide inoculation to kick off in June, Johnson & Johnson makes registration move

webfact

5 hours ago, impulse said:

So, in the USA, almost 10% of the people have already received their first of 2 jabs, and in Thailand, they're 4-5 months away from even starting?

So what, the USA has a real problem because of the huge number infected. Thailand have a tiny number of infections and has them reasonably under control so there is no reason to be in a big hurry and is carefully studying the different vaccines available

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

The problem concerns producing the vaccine here, not the ones imported, like the 2 mil Chinese one or as reportedly offered and turned down, from India

I read Madmitch's concerns referred to the vaccination program as he didn't indicate imported or locally produced vaccines.I do agree that it seems to be concerning that Thailand refused India's offer and suggests something that smells more fishy than my Missus' old fish sauce! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

After taking such decisive and draconian action in preventing the spread of covid, I don't understand why they have been so far behind in their vaccination programme.

Statistical success comes at a cost.

5 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Lefts hope private hospitals can get vaccines in sooner than a government that is sitting on its hands waiting for an offer they can't refuse

For us expats, this might be the only option.  Makes sense they'd focus on their citizens first.

They're hardly sitting on their hands.  The rich countries bought up all the jabs.  Less wealthy ones like Thailand just have to wait.  They're trying, just like every other country in the world.  No easy answers here.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's also been reported the J&J jab might be better with the variants.  Some concern about the other.  Might have to have booster shots for these new mutations.

From what I've read so  far I'd go for J&J if given an option.

• Like 2

My concern is that we look at all these different vaccines as if we will have a choice in which one we have, but these will be nothing more than wish lists when we are offered a "take it or leave it " dilema as the one we would prefer is unavailable in this country or not available until October, what to do then?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

My concern is that we look at all these different vaccines as if we will have a choice in which one we have, but these will be nothing more than wish lists when we are offered a "take it or leave it " dilema as the one we would prefer is unavailable in this country or not available until October, what to do then?

What to do then?Wait until October when everybody else is vaccinated and then the pandemic will be over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

It's still early days, the vaccines will be coming in over the coming months from various manufacturers, I guess we farang will be given choices at a pretty price from different hospitals.

• Like 1

Johnson & Johnson seeks Thai approval for COVID vaccine

2021-02-02T072152Z_1_LYNXMPEH110DO_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-VACCINES-VARIANT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vials with a sticker reading, "COVID-19 / Coronavirus vaccine / Injection only" and a medical syringe are seen in front of a displayed Johnson & Johnson logo in this illustration taken October 31, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Johnson & Johnson is seeking Thailand's approval for its COVID-19 vaccine, a senior Thai health official told Reuters on Tuesday.

The request makes J&J's one-dose vaccine the third COVID-19 vaccine to seek registration with Thailand's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after requests from AztraZeneca Plc and China Sinovac Biotech.

Last month, Thailand's FDA granted a one year emergency use approval for imported AstraZeneca's vaccine.

J&J had started the request process for its vaccine late last month, but the timing of any approval will depend on when the company submitted all required documents, Surachoke Tangwiwat, Deputy Secretary-General of the FDA, said.

"They have submitted some documents for us to assess," Surachoke said.

"We can proceed with the approval within 30 days after all documents are submitted," he said.

J&J did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Thai health authorities have previously said the first 50,000 doses of imported vaccine from AztraZeneca and 200,000 doses from China's Sinovac will arrive in February, although Surachoke said Sinovac had not yet submitted all the documents required for FDA approval.

Thailand's government has received high marks internationally for managing for the most part to suppress the virus in 2020, but opposition groups have criticized its vaccine strategy as too slow and lacking transparency.

The government has said it is on track for mass inoculations beginning in June, largely using 61 million locally made doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, backed up by limited supplies of imported AztraZeneca vaccine and two million doses of the Sinovac vaccine to be administered earlier.

Thailand reported 836 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, including a 26-day-old baby, its youngest ever patient, the government's COVID-19 task force said.

The country also reported two new deaths, taking the total case load to 20,454 infections and 79 deaths.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um, Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Martin Petty and Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-02

9 hours ago, impulse said:

So, in the USA, almost 10% of the people have already received their first of 2 jabs, and in Thailand, they're 4-5 months away from even starting?

Maybe so, but why compare two such different situations?   And who are ‘they’?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's because they are rated 4th in the world for being able to deal with covid and 104th for corruption and transparency.

They being the USA, I assume. 

Edited by PGSan
  • Confused 2

The promised pricks for Valentines Day were not forthcoming. Will the new date come to fruition, or will those waiting for it be disappointed and frustrated again? ????

Edited by Gandtee
punctuation

46 minutes ago, DLock said:

Not quite correct.

The countries that ordered their vaccines sooner and committed funds to help develop the vaccines deserve to be first in line. 

Countries, like Thailand, that did not commit vaccine orders in favor of mistakingly thinking they could develop their own are left begging for 50,000 vaccines from elsewhere, using Chinese vaccines or still thinking they can make their own when they have never done so before...

It was Thailands arrogance and overconfidence that put them in the position they are in...and my guess is that they are in much deeper water than they think...

Agreed.  But it was the richer countries that could place multiple billion dollar bets on jabs.  The US doing so with 3-4.  Thailand doesn't have that kind of money.  And in the end, is doing MUCH better than the US where the virus has been raging for months.  3,500 or so passing every day for weeks.  We've now lost a city the size of Atlanta.

This virus won't go away until 70% of the WORLD is jabbed.  That's perhaps a few years out.  And who knows with all these new variants.  Scary.

15 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It's still there as India said the offer remains open so it's not missing it's being refused by Thailand which definitely raises questions, the only problem is if you raise the question you will be charged and end up in court.Hence the 104th in the world for transparency and corruption rating.Hang on there's someone knocking on my door.

So, I was talking about Thailand. Not India! Mean it´s still missing in Thailand.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

But which country depends (directly and indirectly) on international tourism arrivals for 20% of its GDP?  This isn't just a health crisis.  It's an economic tragedy.  They've frittered away another 6 months on their path to economic recovery.

I think you're giving the authorities too much credit for deep thought and analysis.  I suspect the western vaccine companies have taken a lesson from what happened to Rolls Royce and Airbus, and are reluctant to sign a Thai acceptable contract.  They don't want to pay $billion fines.  I'll let you connect my dots.

I know one of the docs on the coronavirus task force.  He's super smart and very competent.  Quit bashing them.  They're doing an OK job.

One problem is a lot of info never makes it to the English language news sites.  And when it does, the translations suck.

I'd rather be here, without a jab, than in the US, UK or Europe.

• Like 2