UK's record-breaking fundraiser Captain Sir Tom Moore dies aged 100

webfact

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

So died of Pneumonia? Not Covid? 

Same thing happened to Larry King a few days back. The battle with Covid, if you survive it, leaves you depleted and vulnerable to the more common infections that are, sadly, always around.

I wonder if he caught Covid during the Christmas period. A lot of people let their guard down.

Edited by Poet

35 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

He was a good man, who served his country nobly, both as a young man and memorably again as a centenarian.

May perpetual light shine on him.

More controversialy, personally I don't think his memory should be sullied by being used in the debate as to whether Covid 19 or other health issues were responsible for his and other deaths.

He was a 100 years old.

Pretty safe to say that he could have popped off at anytime, from any one of many causes.

It's not like his whole life was ahead of him.

He'd had a good long one and pretty much quit when he was ahead.

Bon voyage Captain Tom, as you set out on that great journey "toward the unknown region":

"I know it not O soul,
Nor dost thou, all is a blank before us,
All waits undream'd of in that region, that inaccessible land"

Edited by Enoon

38 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

More controversialy, personally I don't think his memory should be sullied by being used in the debate as to whether Covid 19 or other health issues were responsible for his and other deaths.

His family have been fully transparent about the cause of death, probably to circumvent any such debate.

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

If you die of cancer in old age, will it be reckonend as cancer or age? 

Cancer, I would think?   I read that if you're positive for Covid and then get killed in a car crash it's recorded as a "Covid death within 28 days of being diagnosed".  A myth? 

Either way, RIP Colonel Sir Tom.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

26 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Cancer, I would think?   I read that if you're positive for Covid and then get killed in a car crash it's recorded as a "Covid death within 28 days of being diagnosed".  A myth? 

Well I have no idea, but it will not help anyone who loose anybody to covid old or not, that healthy people speculate if this is a lie and a conspirecy. Ask any healthworker who stand in the middle of the heat what they think!?

Edited by Tagged

10 hours ago, vogie said:

Sir Tom was born a Keighley lad like myself and his family were builders (his father I believe) it was rather fitting that they had the honour of building the cenotaph after WW1 in the centre of Keighley. It depicts a sailor with a telescope and a soldier carrying a rifle with a bayonet, the bayonet had to be removed in case it injured yobs climbing on it, for remembrance day it is substituted with a wooden one. On its opening over half the population of Keighley turned out for the occasion, about 25,000. 

RIP Sir Tom. 

warmem1.jpg

Looking at that air pollution it's a wonder anyone survived childhood...never mind a century.

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

So died of Pneumonia? Not Covid? 

100 is still way better than the majority. He knew he couldn't live forever. 

PS How many on here have been inoculated against pneumonia?

<deleted>

Covid can give you pneumonia - it's one of the symptoms. - I know it gave it to me when I had Covid in November. And the pneumonia is why I spent a few days in hospital.

If you seriously - after 100,000 deaths in the UK from Covid - still seem to think people aren't dying from Covid - you're a raving lunatic.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The UK follows WHO guidelines on reporting a death as Covid.  A cause of death can be made by the physician, an attendant, a medical examiner or a coroner.   Most deaths would be reported as being from the underlying cause, with a notation that it was Covid related.   In other words, if the cause of death is directly from heart failure or pneumonia that is listed as the primary cause, if it was brought about by Covid then that is listed as well. 

If you are killed in a car accident and have Covid, Covid would NOT be the cause of death.   The two are not related.  If you have a heart attack while driving and die, the medical examiner will have to determine if you died from injuries caused by the accident or whether a heart attack actually killed you.  Both, however, will be on the death certificate. 

I have no idea what Sir Tom's death certificate will say, but I suspect it will include Covid as at least a 2ndary cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1