How The Pandemic Has Upended The Lives Of Thailand's Sex Workers

webfact

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Someone else who has no idea of costs. The average cement house anywhere in Thailand is between 750,000 to 1 million baht, you think a laborer in the rice fields is ever going to be able to come up with that kind of money?

It’s not for me to be a moralist about whether it’s right to go for quick money in the sex trade, but I can categorically state that your quoted price for a cement house is way off. The most expensive house in our village of 80 or so houses, cost 250k. That was a woman who couldn’t do any of the work herself and it’s a nice 3 bed bungalow. Most people do at least part of the work themselves, or their relatives do. Also the  “average” cement house is not necessarily built as a western person would expect.  I doubt many people in our village spent more than 100k, if that. 

I will also add that the local economies of places like Udon, Khon kaen, are doing very well thank you very much, admittedly not much help if you are really out in the sticks, but there are alternatives to Pataya

22 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Well.. put yourself in their shoes for a minute.. you try saving money when you earn 350 Bt a day and have a family to support..  or for a family with an income of 40,000 a month with kids to send to school and all the other costs of trying to get by.. the stupidity is not understanding the pressure Thai people are under.. 

40k is what some of our lesser educated family earn in Korea, may be illegal, but then so is prostitution. Others are noodle sellers here who earn more than my income, it's not prostitution or poverty, that's just a myth.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Well.. put yourself in their shoes for a minute.. you try saving money when you earn 350 Bt a day and have a family to support..  or for a family with an income of 40,000 a month with kids to send to school and all the other costs of trying to get by.. the stupidity is not understanding the pressure Thai people are under.. 

In normal circumstances, yes! However, we are talking about the sex-trade here, and extra money coming to the families. Some of that could have been saved. If not, how did they survive before? As you can see, I understand perfect. How about you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

In normal circumstances, yes! However, we are talking about the sex-trade here, and extra money coming to the families. Some of that could have been saved. If not, how did they survive before? As you can see, I understand perfect. How about you?

the real money for them is the each girlie having half a dozen fiances living abroad who don't know about the other ones... 

- the ultimate 'static display only' Sugarbabe scenario #37  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a load of rubbish, to my knowledge only 1 girl from this village went to Pattaya to sell her body.

My wife is 1 of 4 sisters, each 1 of them works as civil servants/ teachers.

Quite, the pandemic has put proper news from journalists on hold

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Obviously, you have no idea of what a college/university education costs here. It's why quite a few students become "sideline girls".

Actually for what it's worth, it's not that much up here in Isaan, e.g. my wife has two sons who attend college and her sister who is a single mum has a daughter who is finishing University.

I provide my wife with a weekly allowance which covers all of the kids school allowances and her sister who pays for her daughters University as mentioned, she is a single mother selling fruit, she also has another child attending a private Catholic school which I think is the most expensive at 10,000 baht per term, she's making a modest wage and seems to get by and was a bargirl many years ago having not gone to high school as the parents couldn't afford to send her to school back then.

25 minutes ago, Docno said:

everyone has their own route in life

Yes.

You are right.

I myself come from a relatively poor family and not one of them (including me) is a sex worker.

Some clean toilets, others work in factories and some drive BMW's and have big houses.

The latter having done the hard work when they were young and are now reaping the fruits of their labor.

Still, not one of them asks me for a penny or sells their bottoms to tourists. 

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, WineOh said:
8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Obviously, you have no idea of what a college/university education costs here. It's why quite a few students become "sideline girls".

If he was making such great money as he claims then why didn't he save up to GO to college and better himself?

I know why, too busy having fun!

Am I supposed to feel sorry for him?

No need. Carry on knobbing the sideline girls that can't be hookers because they give you GFE.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

This same old story is repeated all over the planet, for centuries upon centuries.... 

I think we all know the plight and outcomes of displaced workers, be it Sex workers in Pattaya or Coal Miners in the mountains of Ukraine. 

Do we have any more substance news today Thai Visa? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That’s not their motive ...

It’s more: the newest iPhone, expensive cosmetics, getting new silicone boobs, visiting “HiSo” places, partying 7 nights a week, ....

And the ultimative objective: finding a rich Thai sugar daddy, giving them a nice apartment and a monthly allowance.

Education rates a poor second !