The sky it should be falling now? Convenience stores dropping like flies?

Jingthing

On 2/4/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jingthing said:

7-11s and Family Marts appear to be closing in droves in the (no) tourism areas of Pattaya.

Yes. Both a 7-11 and a Family Mart at top of Soi Excite jcn 3rd Road closed in the last month. Means I have to walk an extra 100 metres now to the nearest 7-11 ????  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Yes. Both a 7-11 and a Family Mart at top of Soi Excite jcn 3rd Road closed in the last month. Means I have to walk an extra 100 metres now to the nearest 7-11 ????  

Be careful.   By the time the pandemic is over, you may get a full weeks exercise  walking   to the nearest 7-11.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2021 at 7:24 AM, Bangyai said:

Now there is a new garage opening in town with a 4th 7/11 and an Amazon.

I imagine you mean PTT petrol/gas stations. I'm really impressed with these places, especially how nice the Amazon cafes are set up. Always look nice and often with a little bit of landscaping. Not often I'm very impressed with a Thai company, but credit where it's due. It actually looks as if they care and have pride in what they're doing. MK are pretty good too, most of the time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, rct99q said:

Funny thing. Our neighbor closed their mom and pop store before xmas.

Wife and I decided the local village needed a small shop. So we built a place offering basics and some prepared food.

So far we cant keep up. I was hoping for a couple of thousand a day just to keep ourselves busy. We are turning 10,000 plus most days and i am running and racing around buying whiskey, smokes, and fresh products from the market. 

On point...have not seen any 7/11 closures. In fact several have just recently opened or near open in and around nong khai, thabo, and other river side towns.

Good to hear of a success story.

7 hours ago, chilly07 said:

...Thais version of competition is  to open up next door to viable opposition not understanding  they will reduce income by half

Actually, it only cuts the competition's income in half, the new store was making nothing before...  

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Don't overthink it. If you had been hanging out in tourist areas last year, surely you'd have noticed.

I meant early last year before the pandemic. If anything there were new ones still popping up.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Yes. Both a 7-11 and a Family Mart at top of Soi Excite jcn 3rd Road closed in the last month. Means I have to walk an extra 100 metres now to the nearest 7-11

But since you were already at the Buakhao end you would never have walked all that way to get to a 7-11 or Family Mart,, since they are nearby on Buakhao....

On 2/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Jingthing said:

7-11s and Family Marts appear to be closing in droves in the (no) tourism areas of Pattaya.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I hallucinating (again)?

I can certainly understand any and all kinds of businesses closing in this current environment, but I'm finding this rather shocking.

You know, 7-11s and Family Marts have been like Starbucks in Seattle. Everywhere!

You stated the problem! They are everywhere, glut to many to sustain!

On 2/7/2021 at 8:09 AM, Gumballl said:

Under capitalized businesses will fail, pandemic or otherwise. Yawn.

This is the reason many foreign owned businesses here create the illusion of success, pre covid, and survival, during covid.  

They use their savings to keep the dream alive.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, Jingthing said:

Has anyone else noticed this or am I hallucinating (again)?

I can certainly understand any and all kinds of businesses closing in this current environment, but I'm finding this rather shocking.

it's not an hallucination

the Thais are leaving the city in big numbers since months

then all the sectors are impacted by the lack of clientele

pattaya titanic 001.JPG

On 2/13/2021 at 4:01 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Its very noticeable at the end of each month, as more give up and head back to family homes.

As I mentioned in another post, as Thai's learn that just because farang have been vaccinated, in farangland, they still can not travel to Thailand until the majority of Thai's have been vaccinated, the exodus will continue.   

Edited by Leaver