Thailand to get vaccine from Asia after EU export control, minister Anutin says

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand to get vaccine from Asia after EU export control, minister Anutin says

2021-02-04T094558Z_1_LYNXMPEH130OR_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SWISS-ASTRAZENECA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vials labelled "COVID-19 Coronavirus Vaccine" are placed on dry ice in this illustration taken, December 4, 2020. Picture taken December 4, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will import the first doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine from Asia after Europe enforced export controls, the country's health minister said on Thursday.

The European Union (EU) last week set restrictions on the export of vaccines from the bloc through to March to ensure it will secure the supplies it had bought in advance, including shots from AstraZeneca Plc.

Thailand will still import the first 50,000 of 150,000 "early doses" of the AstraZeneca vaccine later this month, just not from Europe as previously planned, said Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul.

"The producer will source the vaccine from another supply chain outside of the EU," minister of public health Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters.

"It will be from somewhere in Asia," he said without elaborating because he said otherwise there was a risk of another intervention to safeguard supplies.

South Korea and India are among the countries in Asia currently producing the AstraZeneca vaccine.

China's Sinovac Biotech Ltd will also deliver the first 200,000 of two million doses of its vaccine that Thailand had ordered around the end of February, Anutin added.

Thailand's vaccine strategy relies mostly on AstraZeneca vaccines being produced by local manufacturer Siam Bioscience.

The 26 million doses to be produced by the firm are set to be used in inoculations starting in June. Thailand plans to inoculate people with five million doses every month from that point, Anutin said.

Thailand had ordered 35 million more vaccine doses from AstraZeneca, but Anutin said on Thursday a contract for the volume had not been signed.

Earlier on Thursday, Thailand reported 809 new coronavirus cases and no additional deaths, its COVID-19 taskforce said.

The new infections took the overall total to 22,058, with fatalities remaining at 79.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-05

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

One knew there was a problem when criticism of the "government's" vaccine plan was met with legal/jail threats.

The speed and lack of transparency with the vaccine "plan" was more like a submarine purchase.

By-the-way, where are these fantastic kiddie toys (submarines) very little has been mentioned lately, have the brown envelopes been distributed and the glitz and glamour is all over and final delivery is irrevelant. 

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It looks as if one of the worst hit countries in the World will emerge as one of the most organised and effective in vaccination and eradication of the virus.

You cannot beat a bit of British spirit to show the World how things are done during the darkest hours. 

It seems things have flipped on their head with the Thais now struggling to procure vaccines and deal with a worsening outbreak.

You could never compare pommie organisation in times of need with a Thai shambles, never ever....... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

there is absolutely no way that I will allow anyone to pump the CCP (Chinese Communists Party) vaccine into my body.....

PERIOD, end of discussion. I do not thrust the Chinese to do anything but cheat, lie and steal. I work with them EVERY DAY!

Don't worry, Tom.

No one will force you to get the vaccine if you think it's better to be unvaccinated.

Completely up to you as long as  you don't try to circumvent in place regulations such as flight requirements  and etc.

You know what's best for you.

Cheers,

4 hours ago, Polaky said:

These vaccines need to be stored at below -o temperatures, so what happens if it goes above the prescribed temperature and you get injected, or during transportation is it then ineffective?, can you test it's effectiveness before injection?, I mean once it's in you, cannot get it back out again, one way street only, it would be quite annoying to hear after you have been injected the word oops!

one certainly hopes they don't go defrosting their freezers like they do with the fridges in shops, just turn it off until everything inside melts and gets soft, then start it up again.

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It looks as if one of the worst hit countries in the World will emerge as one of the most organised and effective in vaccination and eradication of the virus.

You cannot beat a bit of British spirit to show the World how things are done during the darkest hours. 

It seems things have flipped on their head with the Thais now struggling to procure vaccines and deal with a worsening outbreak.

It is a great relief knowing my elderly father has had the Pfizer jab 3 weeks ago. 

But things can still go bad here. 

First - most people have only had the first jab which is far better than vaccinating half as many people but at a  cost of reduced immunity and unclear affects when delaying the second jab. 

Second  - new strains are popping up all over the world which may not be stopped by the current vaccines. It is in everyone's interest that the whole world is getting vaccinated or borders will stay restricted for years to come.

Another problem that needs sorting is how do you prove you have been vaccinated to countries that require it before letting you in? There is no standard and already fake certificates are around in Europe. 

Edited by chang1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Alien said:

Last Month, they announced Thais will be vaccinated (Chinese made Vaccine) on 14 Feb Valentine’s Day. Now, he said the vaccine will arrive in Thailand end of Feb.  It’s obvious he has nothing concrete and BS day to day. 

Its obvious he has Concrete BS Day to Day.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

That - starting in June - could put Thailand opening earliest in Easter next year if they don't do kids and want vaccinate all before opening. That could be horrific with delays.

Also 200,000 is nothing by time 67,000,000 done then start on garlands it could be 2 years , the only way this is going in Thailand is vaccine passports for foreigners who enter Thailand relying on other countries to get their people vaccinated then Thailand will not have to do it or spend money as we know they are tight ! But the infections could rise if Thailand let's in tourists who are not vaccinated , but how many tourists are going to continue to pay quarentine expensive costs to come here not me for one , I go back UK in April and get vaccinated then I can go where I want which won't be here in Thailand , probably Philippines I go to after this and not come here for a long time

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Pattaya wouldn't be worth more than 10 doses at best.. 

Yeah, i reckon Pattaya's probably given out more doses than Astra Zenica in its day ....... And as the farang said to the ( Lady of the night), You've given me a dose !   No, you paid for it !  ...........

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand to get vaccine from Asia after EU export control, minister Anutin says

2021-02-04T094558Z_1_LYNXMPEH130OR_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SWISS-ASTRAZENECA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vials labelled "COVID-19 Coronavirus Vaccine" are placed on dry ice in this illustration taken, December 4, 2020. Picture taken December 4, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will import the first doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine from Asia after Europe enforced export controls, the country's health minister said on Thursday.

The European Union (EU) last week set restrictions on the export of vaccines from the bloc through to March to ensure it will secure the supplies it had bought in advance, including shots from AstraZeneca Plc.

Thailand will still import the first 50,000 of 150,000 "early doses" of the AstraZeneca vaccine later this month, just not from Europe as previously planned, said Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul.

"The producer will source the vaccine from another supply chain outside of the EU," minister of public health Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters.

"It will be from somewhere in Asia," he said without elaborating because he said otherwise there was a risk of another intervention to safeguard supplies.

South Korea and India are among the countries in Asia currently producing the AstraZeneca vaccine.

China's Sinovac Biotech Ltd will also deliver the first 200,000 of two million doses of its vaccine that Thailand had ordered around the end of February, Anutin added.

Thailand's vaccine strategy relies mostly on AstraZeneca vaccines being produced by local manufacturer Siam Bioscience.

The 26 million doses to be produced by the firm are set to be used in inoculations starting in June. Thailand plans to inoculate people with five million doses every month from that point, Anutin said.

Thailand had ordered 35 million more vaccine doses from AstraZeneca, but Anutin said on Thursday a contract for the volume had not been signed.

Earlier on Thursday, Thailand reported 809 new coronavirus cases and no additional deaths, its COVID-19 taskforce said.

The new infections took the overall total to 22,058, with fatalities remaining at 79.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-05

You would think that how scared the Thais are about Covid, or at least that's what we're led to believe, the government would have moved heaven and earth to order enough vaccines to inoculate the entire 66+ million population rather than the pathetic 150,000 which I would guess goes to the chosen few...Absolutely terrible story  and shame on the powers to be..

On 2/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, Ireland32 said:

Who watches RT my gawd, talk about propaganda the Faux news of Russia 

Its would be better for you to watch CNN as easy to spell, Faux is not news, FOX yes.

The figures quoted were direct from the Italian NGO's mouth shown live and from medical experts, shown live.

Probably trick photography you would say, better you ask Donald, if you can find him .Trump I mean not Duck.