Anyone know any properly qualified Electricians Chiang Rai area ?

Tuvoc

Our house is 2 years old and I want to find a properly qualified electrician to check everything over. I wasn't here when it was built and my wife doesn't know enough to have made sure everything was as it should be. We are in-between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai geographically.

I have a number of devices with UK plugs and currently use the 3-prong adaptors to plug them in. Some adaptors only have 2 prongs and I avoid those, however I do wonder if the earth is actually connected on those 3 prong adaptors ? If I'm standing on a tile floor in bare feet, and I touch my laptop, I get a mild shock, (static electricity ?) same if I touch the HDMI connector on the external monitor.  That should not happen should it ?  Or maybe it is just static electricity and normal. We are a bit rural so I guess the main power may not be that reliable, it does cut completely sometimes for a few minutes and you can hear the air conditioner fan speed reduce briefly on occasion, and the lights flicker although in one room they can just go out for a period of time while there is still power to the electrical sockets in the room. Very odd.

I also want to replace those UK plugs with Thai plugs. That shouldn't be a problem should it ?  I've wired UK plugs before and I  know the wiring colours, just have to find the layout of a Thai plug. That way I'll know the plug at least has the earth, which I'm currently not sure that the adaptors have even though the prong is there.

Edited by Tuvoc

Hello, 

A skilled worker ????
Thais are anything but skilled, and when you find one, keep it tight.
I had a thai who came, on several occasions, to repair the water pump located in the kitchen.
Nothing to do. Finally, it had to be changed. And there they came together.
The worst part is that the worker was working in the puddles, without shoes and the device plugged in.
At each of his visits, I expected to find a corpse in my kitchen.
For the slightest job, they slap everything, leave everything lying around and often they have to be called back.
Why not ask the farangs around you if there isn't someone competent (see a restaurateur, a shopkeeper, etc.)
It is too important and risky work to leave it in the hands of Sunday handymen.

15 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Why not ask the farangs around you if there isn't someone competent (see a restaurateur, a shopkeeper, etc.)
It is too important and risky work to leave it in the hands of Sunday handymen.

Ah yes, there is a big expensive farang house just down the road and I know he supervised the build and was probably in the building trade at some point abroad. Time to introduce myself and ask him !

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 2

You may also want to post a photo of your consumer unit (distribution board) with the lid off (care please).

We can get an idea of just what you have and what (if anything) needs doing to improve your safety.

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

That way I'll know the plug at least has the earth, which I'm currently not sure that the adaptors have even though the prong is there.

Well the plug may well have an earth pin on it, but does it connect to anything on the socket outlet, because in my experience here many of the socket outlets, even though they can accommodate 3 pins, have nothing connected to what should be the earth pin in the socket itself.

In that case it's a whole different ball game for you. But then again, like Crossey has said, a pic of your consumer unit would tell him/us more.

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Consumer unit is as attached.

OK, I did ask for a photo with the lid off.

But my immediate observation is that there is no earth leakage protection (unless you have an external "Safe-T-Cut" unit).

Some form of earth leakage protection has been required for new installations for a number of years, has this installation passed the PEA inspection for a permanent supply (how much per unit are you paying)?

I also see all 32A breakers, what are they supplying? If Thai outlets then the max should be 20A. If lighting I'd expect 10A or so. The only things on larger breakers should be water heaters and BIG aircons, these should also be on appropriately sized cables.

EDIT I missed it in your first post, but getting a tingle from your PC suggests lack of grounding which, in conjunction with no earth leakage protection, put's your installation firmly in the "unsafe" bracket.

I don't know if a PEA inspection was required, or how much we pay, I'll have to check with my wife.

It is just a three bedroom single story house, very little in the way of electrical items, i.e. no oven in the kitchen for example. Fridge/Freezer, microwave, 2 x TVs, one power shower and one airconditioning unit, washing machine/dryer combo, and a couple of computers. Very light loading I'd have said.

Edited by Tuvoc

Just pulled out a monthly bill from the Provincial Electricity Authority, it is just under 4 baht per unit before the 7% tax. So that means there was an inspection ?

I'm not getting that tingle just now from the laptop or the HDMI connector, but I definitely was earlier. Maybe just a build-up of static electricity ?

Edited by Tuvoc

7 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Ah yes, there is a big expensive farang house just down the road and I know he supervised the build and was probably in the building trade at some point abroad. Time to introduce myself and ask him !

Ask him about .? 

Homs   law ...555

10 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I'll do that in the daylight tomorrow, carefully.

Turn off the main switch first. Take a couple of decent photos then put the lid back on before turning on the main.

Having a few things that need fixing to throw at your chosen sparks should get you on an advantage before he starts will the BS.

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

If khun Daeng has a pair of pliers, he's as qualified as you'll get! :thumbsup:

Yours has pliers?

The local man in Madam's village has big scissors, two screwdrivers (+ & -), a neon and a big roll of tape.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yours has pliers?

The local man in Madam's village has big scissors, two screwdrivers (+ & -), a neon and a big roll of tape.

Obviously over qualified! Bet he has a BSc degree from Chula!

OK, looks like some form of earth is in place, hopefully the fat green/yellow goes to a rod somewhere.

I would certainly consider replacing that main breaker with an RCBO, I think Schneider ones fit if you can't get Chang.

I also worry about all your circuits being on 32A breakers, apart from maybe your water heater the biggest should be 20A.

I would invest in one of these outlet testers https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i316566794-s634644285.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1 they will tell you if your outlet is wired correctly.

7 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes I've ordered one of those.

It arrived. I've plugged it into two recessed sockets, which were part of the original build, and I get one red light which according to the leaflet means "OPEN GROUND". The voltage is 195V and 50 Hz.

Another socket which was added later (cable down from the ceiling and it juts out from the wall) and it shows all 3 lights and 205V.

Edited by Tuvoc

14 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

It arrived. I've plugged it into two recessed sockets, which were part of the original build, and I get one red light which according to the leaflet means "OPEN GROUND". The voltage is 195V and 50 Hz.

Another socket which was added later (cable down from the ceiling and it juts out from the wall) and it shows all 3 lights and 205V.

Do any of your outlets test as "correct"? I would check them all and note the results. Then when you find a sparks you can send him in the right direction.

The CU installation looks ok (apart from my earlier comments) so it's time for some deeper investigation.

Yes, good news is that most of the sockets are CORRECT !  So the earth is there and functioning. Just three sockets that aren't. I'm more relaxed now, next job is to convince my wife to get those fixed. Do you think the earth wire would be there for those and just not connected ?  In the typical Thai way, they are working so no need to do anything. Same sort of attitude many take to getting their cars serviced !

Voltage is also reading 244 volts today compared to 195 volts yesterday !

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, good news is that most of the sockets are CORRECT !  So the earth is there and functioning. Just three sockets that aren't. I'm more relaxed now, next job is to convince my wife to get those fixed. Do you think the earth wire would be there for those and just not connected ?  In the typical Thai way, they are working so no need to do anything. Same sort of attitude many take to getting their cars serviced !

Voltage is also reading 244 volts today compared to 195 volts yesterday !

Good news indeed, with the mains off just pop the outlets that are incorrect off the wall and have a look, it could be as simple as a wire popped out.

Then time to address the consumer unit ????

220V +- 10% is 198V - 242V so not really a worry at present.

• Like 1