How to Free Up Hard Disk Space on Windows 10

ravip

5 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Kind of funny to expect people in an IT related forum to click on links in a stranger's post... I would not do it, even if I would need such information, I would google it myself and then click only on links trusted by my security software products. Just saying...

Just right click on the link and click on inspect - you can view the link details.

Posting a complete web address is fine, but it looks messy, especially when a link is long. Just saying...

????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

However, none of these gets quite specifically to those big data files you may no longer need and aren't aware of how much space they're taking up. Again, various options. I've used TreeSize free for years, simple & convenient: you can delete right from the interface itself.

You were faster.

Even after all the tools/garbage cleanup you still have to do your own cleanup.

I know people who have 10 GByte video files to play 1.5 hours in a usual quality :tongue:

(and maybe watched once a year ago)

If you can't separate from old stuff, move it to an external disk for archiving.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You were faster.

Even after all the tools/garbage cleanup you still have to do your own cleanup.

I know people who have 10 GByte video files to play 1.5 hours in a usual quality :tongue:

(and maybe watched once a year ago)

If you can't separate from old stuff, move it to an external disk for archiving.

I couldnt agree more, the cleaners may find some temp or log files etc (its never much relative to drive size),  its invariably forgotten video files taking up the space.

Alternatively, if you want to clean up disk space AND not have to load more useless software (which takes up space), just type 'disk cleanup' in the windows search box (or look in Windows Administrative tools) and use the one that has been built into all windows systems since 1995.

• Like 1

One if the simplest things is toChange the setting on your recycle bin to either zero or very small .. save as much as 10 percent of your drive . A point not made well in the pc mag. Several users swear by CCleaner and until around 2017 I would agree then avast purchased piriform  who owned CCleaner and that company is considered by someto be a concern for your privacy issues. Google and check it out yourselves. Happy days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Alternatively, if you want to clean up disk space AND not have to load more useless software (which takes up space), just type 'disk cleanup' in the windows search box (or look in Windows Administrative tools) and use the one that has been built into all windows systems since 1995.

Or access it by right clicking on the Disk icon then Properties. Get rid of all previous Windows Update files and only keep the very latest System Restore file.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dogbarker said:

One if the simplest things is toChange the setting on your recycle bin to either zero or very small .. save as much as 10 percent of your drive . A point not made well in the pc mag. Several users swear by CCleaner and until around 2017 I would agree then avast purchased piriform  who owned CCleaner and that company is considered by someto be a concern for your privacy issues. Google and check it out yourselves. Happy days 

What would I be checking for with Piriform/Avast? Some reviewers will say it is fine, other will say it is a danger. How do I choose?

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Older versions from the Avast takeover were thought problematic from a privacy standpoint--by the sensitive; the vast majority of Windows users obviously aren't concerned in the least about privacy anyway. Ironically Windows Defender classified the Ccleaner installer as possible malware for a time. But that had more to do with the bundled installers. Some didn't like it that Ccleaner minimized to the tray and kept running in the background instead of exiting as they thought it should. 

Now Ccleaner offers opt-out for the telemetry, minimize to tray, advertising, updating, and update notifications.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/16/ccleaner-5-71-with-new-privacy-opt-out-for-offers/

In fairness, Ccleaner's trying to do quite a lot these days and some anonymously-collected feedback would surely be helpful.

And you can of course block it from any outgoing connection in your firewall if you wish.

The installers can be avoided by choosing the slim or portable build:

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

Me, I've always used the portable build. I would never have called it a danger, really, and certainly not now.

Thanks Big Star.. did not know that option was now available in CCleaner as I have steered away for such a long time....will maybe take another look . I may try checking out speccy too which is a piriform product I found  one of the best monitoring programme in Thailand especially if a computer was prone to overheating . Thanks again

• Thanks 1