Thailand reports 186 new COVID-19 infections

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Chatting with a Thai friend who says they are not testing as much. Think most of us know this. Seems like it's back to the first round. Only those who present at hospital. There was meant to be a testing station near me today. I went but it was a no show. Asked another Thai friend said meant to come but didn't.

Be interesting to see what the testing numbers are once published

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

if by "active testing" you mean active contact tracing , that is already stated: 35.

The article clearly states "Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon."

But then goes on to only list numbers for tracing and walk ins no mentions of testing at all

So what does "Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers" mean?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

“Walk ins" are not all symptomatic, in fact most are not.

Then it’s a lot worse than they are telling the public.

If most are not asymptomatic, that means they have symptoms and are contagious. Last I looked, the median R0 for COVID19 was 5.7. Assuming non of the new more contagious variants are in Thailand, it’s basic math from there.

That 141 walk-in number could be well mean there’s over 800 infections from them alone. Yesterday’s 90 walk-ins could easily be 500, and so on. 

That’s troubling and should be getting a lot more attention than it is.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

The article clearly states "Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon."

But then goes on to only list numbers for tracing and walk ins no mentions of testing at all

So what does "Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers" mean?

It means that most of those cases (contact tracing and walk ins) were migrant workers.

9 hours ago, dcnx said:

Then it’s a lot worse than they are telling the public.

If most are not asymptomatic, that means they have symptoms and are contagious. Last I looked, the median R0 for COVID19 was 5.7. Assuming non of the new more contagious variants are in Thailand, it’s basic math from there.

That 141 walk-in number could be well mean there’s over 800 infections from them alone. Yesterday’s 90 walk-ins could easily be 500, and so on. 

That’s troubling and should be getting a lot more attention than it is.

The Ro number is probably less that 1 on average here.

The sky is not falling, at least not today.

BBC News - Coronavirus: What is the R number and how is it calculated?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52473523

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Ro number is probably less that 1 on average here.

The sky is not falling, at least not today.

BBC News - Coronavirus: What is the R number and how is it calculated?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52473523

If you want to give me some data points for Thailand : time period, initial infections , and final infections. I'll calculate the R0. I calculated the R0 for the 1.1 R0 in the graph from the link and it's correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

So there is no mass testing at all in Samut Sakhon? Seems strange

They have been doing mass testing in SS for many weeks now.

Especially in the one sub-district that has accounted for most of the cases.

I think at this point they have pretty well covered it. Have already completed screening of over 800 factors, some 140,000 tests.

• Like 1