Rape scene depicted in Thai soap opera sparks outrage on Twitter

snoop1130

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

30 years in Thailand and I would'nt call 1 Thai "man" a good friend!

That is not my experience. 
30 years and not a single mate. I would find that depressing. Plus I would find it difficult to live here, always relying on women’s advice. 

Personally the best advice I have received over the years has come from my Thai mates. Early on they screened potential girlfriends for me and told me whether or not they were good, respectable girls that would be socially acceptable or not. 
They were always right. 

If you hook up with obvious trash in Thailand you will be shunned socially by the majority which will limits life a lot leading to only hanging out with the dregs of society and all the problems and issues that go with it.  Decent Thai blokes would be embarrassed to socialize with you, especially with their wives and won’t take you seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pretty sure rape by family is high in this country, also in our home countries and hidden from the world

Child sexual abuse is a widespread problem. One in nine girls and 1 in 53 boys under the age of 18 experience sexual abuse or assault at the hands of an adult.

yes it is not uncommon for a Thai man to have two wife, and there are more Thais becoming Muslims, but they a bit different to the normal Muslims in that the women dress up in jeans and Tshirt to drive a car or motorbike to work, this does not seem to be on the sopies yet

I have tried for a while to watch those soaps to improve my Thai but quickly gave up: the acting is horrendous, the storyline totally inept and the stereotyping appalling. Such hypocrisy: you can show a rape scene on TV for everyone to watch, including kids, but a scene with a tinge of nudity in a film arouse (pun intended) the ire of stuck-up censors. 

• Like 2

Until I came to live in Thailand, I never saw much violence on tv towards women, and also women fighting woman, but most nights when my Thai wife is watching Thai soaps, I see so much violence.

It seems that ever Thai man has a gun,and even woman to, and the national sport is slapping each other on the face.I personally have not seen this type of behaviour in the eight years that I have lived in Thailand, most thais I meet are very polite and behave good, except car drivers and motorcyclists. 

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Doesn't get old because it equates to the life they know unfortunately.

It pretty sad when you look deep into the culture and society and see that the lives of Thai people simply emulates their TV soaps operas and Lakhon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I once heard a producer of the local soaps, as he was being interviewed, make the statement that they are only depicting events which take place in ordinary daily life. That is an absolute lie from the pit of hell! They are actually shaping the culture with their demonic betrayal of perverted life events, and society begins to act them out and accept them as normal because they saw it on TV and in the movies. Thai TV is a horrible example for the public at large. 

I forgot to mention that these soaps and movies, by design, are welcome propaganda tools for the hiso elites since it allows them to continue to abuse women, family members and employees and keeps the lower class sheeple in their place. The sheeple just accept that kind of behavior as normal. They see it on TV and in the movies, so they think that's the way it's supposed to be. 

• Haha 2

After putting up with years of the Mrs watching this garbage all day and night i finally got rid of the TV and her as well........... It makes you understand why the whole country is the way it is....... When you see some old bird walking round with a plastic doll and talking to it and it's perfectly accepted as normal, you know you're in a world of loons....   

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

It pretty sad when you look deep into the culture and society and see that the lives of Thai people simply emulates their TV soaps operas and Lakhon.

Of course Eastenders doesn't do the same! Better acting maybe same violence.

Edited by bipper
Spelling

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

I forgot to mention that these soaps and movies, by design, are welcome propaganda tools for the hiso elites since it allows them to continue to abuse women, family members and employees and keeps the lower class sheeple in their place. The sheeple just accept that kind of behavior as normal. They see it on TV and in the movies, so they think that's the way it's supposed to be. 

"That is an absolute lie from the pit of hell! "    I take it you havn't been here that long ?    I've heard loads of stories over the years that make this look like a bedtime fairy story.  I used to have a girlfriend who's real father was killed by a man who then shacked up with her mother, raped the three daughters when they were old enough, put them all in club, then tried to kill them all in a car crash, the mother wouldn't listen to any of the daughters because she was scared.  The mother gave birth to the step dads daughter not long after he'd killed her husband, who when she turned 13 then announced that she was dads new wife as her mother was past it and shacked up with him. 

My girlfriend killed his dogs with poison in preparation for killing him, but luckily for her and him she and her sisters ran off to Bkk......    And this is just one of hundreds that i've heard over the years.... 

• Like 2

Eastenders too by the way.

It's good they show it. It happens. What they should do is state at the beginning "the following programme depicts sexual violence". Then follow that up with a helpline number after stating "call this number if you have been a victim of sexual violence". Anything else is sexual violence for profit.

Edited by bipper
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Just watch the Thai news channels. All sorts of gruesome events being filmed and broadcast there. But hey, hang on a minute, they do blur out handcuffs and the occasional corpse. 

I agree, the Thai soaps are way over the top and definitely present a real bad example and what they portray as normal behaviour. Excessive amounts of women getting slapped around really annoys me.

Cigarettes, knives, g-strings, breasts and guns blurred for foreign ( Hollywood) movies played here but that seems to fall by the wayside for domestic movies and TV. Throw in a little domestic violence and apparently rape and that seems ok for Thai viewers. ?????? 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:24 PM, ctxa said:

So what? Someday in the future the best movies (and the only ones allowed for that matter) are gonna be "Spongebob and Doraemon...." 

Because hey, some movies depict rape, others depict sexual scenes, others depict murder, and in general they depict so many illegal and/or morally questionable things that this is the never ending list...

Come on...

What people need to learn is that the people which appear in any kind of movie are nothing but actors, which are paid to act according to what's written on a script. And that's it. Completely fictional, acted and staged. 

Having that said, real life hopefully will some day see a huge change on the attitude of certain societies and certain individuals towards women. But IMHO venting your anger caused by a real word problem into something depicted in a movie/theater is beyond ridiculous. 

Unfortunately, simple minds like myself think that what is shown on Television and in Movies should have some Educational or Entertaining value. After watching it, I should know more than I knew before,  or I have wasted my time.
If you think that the average person, especially those with little education, does understand that what is shown on TV is not a reflection of real life and not a role model, I am afraid that you are seriously mistaken. (The Capitol Siege by the Trump-Cult as a prime example !!)

11 hours ago, KKr said:

Unfortunately, simple minds like myself think that what is shown on Television and in Movies should have some Educational or Entertaining value. After watching it, I should know more than I knew before,  or I have wasted my time.
If you think that the average person, especially those with little education, does understand that what is shown on TV is not a reflection of real life and not a role model, I am afraid that you are seriously mistaken. (The Capitol Siege by the Trump-Cult as a prime example !!)

Excuse my ignorance, as us Europeans, specially those of us who neither are British nor live in the US, couldn’t care less about what goes on over there. So perhaps I’m mistaken in what I am about to say…. 

But the Capitol Siege by Trump & Friends was actually something real. It wasn’t actors jumping into the capitol. So the images that they showed in TV about it was news, real images. 

If you wanna watch TV and learn new things, you can watch a documentary, some science programs, etc… 

But that doesn’t still change the fact that when you watch an action movie it is for pure entertainment (don’t tell me you learn anything from watching Terminator for example). Some of them depict murders, others depict rape, others depict aliens killing humans… Who cares, it’s all fictional, not real things. People need to learn the difference between real life and fiction. 

1 hour ago, ctxa said:

Excuse my ignorance, as us Europeans, specially those of us who neither are British nor live in the US, couldn’t care less about what goes on over there. So perhaps I’m mistaken in what I am about to say…. 

But the Capitol Siege by Trump & Friends was actually something real. It wasn’t actors jumping into the capitol. So the images that they showed in TV about it was news, real images. 

If you wanna watch TV and learn new things, you can watch a documentary, some science programs, etc… 

But that doesn’t still change the fact that when you watch an action movie it is for pure entertainment (don’t tell me you learn anything from watching Terminator for example). Some of them depict murders, others depict rape, others depict aliens killing humans… Who cares, it’s all fictional, not real things. People need to learn the difference between real life and fiction. 

it indeed seems we are talking a different language, or are living in a different world.

In that context, and objectively speaking:
It was media-manipulated, cult-followers that besieged the Capitol.
People who are not critical enough to distinguish lies, propaganda and manipulations from facts.

never mind,
Don't panic, Mr. Mainwaring, carry on ...

1 hour ago, KKr said:

it indeed seems we are talking a different language, or are living in a different world.

In that context, and objectively speaking:
It was media-manipulated, cult-followers that besieged the Capitol.
People who are not critical enough to distinguish lies, propaganda and manipulations from facts.

never mind,
Don't panic, Mr. Mainwaring, carry on ...

Sorry to say, but the fact that TV (as well as several other communication mediums) have the power to manipulate certain individuals, has nothing to do with the fact that certain people get butthurt because certain fictional movie or series depicts a rape scene. 

And if what you are trying to say is that when certain people without a critical mind see things such as rape or murder in a fictional movie, it encourages them to do those actions in real life. Then I must tell you that except people with severe psychological issues, it simply WON'T. And those people with BIG psychological problems which see a murder in TV and suddenly decide "hey I'm gonna go murder my neighbor" are extremely dangerous anyway. So clearly not the movie's fault. The movie may trigger their crazy side at that particular moment, but with or without movie they are simply a ticking time bomb waiting to explode! 

Any minimally sane person won't get affected by what he sees on a purely fictional movie made with entertainment purposes...

https://consumer.healthday.com/public-health-information-30/violence-health-news-787/movie-violence-doesn-t-make-kids-violent-study-finds-741747.html

Edited by ctxa

Thai TV soaps are written for Thai people,  they are popular with Thai people from all walks of life ,  However those Thais who don't like soaps,  simply change channels  (immediately)  and watch something that they do  like

What I'm wondering is , how long, does a non-thai speaker, who doesn't like soaps and is "uncomfortable" with the storyline, wait before they do the same ?  Its really not that difficult.