Elite card holders - many Brits - spend 3,000 baht a day - company heading for profit as membership soars

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Regardless of how we feel about this visa, the notion that they are high rollers, is not particularly borne out by the $100 a day claim. I spend that much, when all expenses are taken into account, and I think alot of ex-pats here spend 100,000 baht a month, at least those of us who live rather well. Most international travelers (low to middle income Chinese, Indians and Malaysians might be an exception) spend at least that much. I do not feel particularly "elite".

So many people seem to have their nose put out of join with the use of the word ‘elite’ for this visa.

Many people seem not to argue the argument but have allowed their judgement of the use of the work elite to influence their opinion on what for some is the ideal solution. 

The term ‘elite’ for this visa is idiot and stems from a the juvenile nature of those who created this scheme in believing those with money would jump at the change to be given elite status - highly moronic thinking. 

The Visa and Membership would have been far better names ‘long stay’ or something similar, it would have received more favourable press and opinions among foreign communities. 

Thus, the membership has nothing to do with being elite, feeling elite or being treated in an ‘elite’ manner - at the simplest levels of membership it presents an easy means to a 5 year visa for those who unable to meet other requirements, in other tiers this simple visa is polished with perks for a longer duration of time (i.e. 20 years). 

I can’t help but feel the term ‘elite’ is the sole reason for many to feel compelled to comment negatively on what really is a very handy solution for some. 

• Like 2

I think a lot of people would regret buying an elite Visa if they really understood how easy it is to get an ordinary Visa. If they could afford an elite Visa they would save a huge amount of money just employing an agent to arrange everything. I note that there are posts on this forum giving completely false information about the advantages of an elite Visa. For instance claiming that both married and retirement visas and 90 day reporting are problematic, When they are not. The financial requirements are the same as they were nearly 20 years ago, which taking into consideration inflation it means they are much cheaper now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

We non-Elites do not need to go either. Can either mail it or go online. That means one trip to CW per year for the extension. Took me about one hour last time with the advanced reservation system. One hour of my time versus 600,000 baht.  Hmmm. There's a decision for you.

Wow, it only take you hour? It takes me an hour to get there, a half hour to park, walk in and get my bank book updated, whatever time it takes to get the visa an hour or more to get home. By the time it's all said and done, I'm into it for most of a day...

1 hour ago, gamini said:

I think a lot of people would regret buying an elite Visa if they really understood how easy it is to get an ordinary Visa. If they could afford an elite Visa they would save a huge amount of money just employing an agent to arrange everything.

They tell me it's simply not possible to do this until you're older than 50. I know there are people older than 50 who have the TE visa but I've never met any of them.

I've met plenty of people under 50 who have them though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamini said:

I think a lot of people would regret buying an elite Visa if they really understood how easy it is to get an ordinary Visa. If they could afford an elite Visa they would save a huge amount of money just employing an agent to arrange everything.

Its only ‘easy’ to get an ordinary Visa for those who meet the ‘ordinary visa’ requirements - i.e. Married, Retired, Working.. others have to try and swing an Education Visa or a volunteer visa etc - for those with the money the Elite Visa provides a trouble free and guaranteed solution. 

1 hour ago, gamini said:

I note that there are posts on this forum giving completely false information about the advantages of an elite Visa. For instance claiming that both married and retirement visas and 90 day reporting are problematic, When they are not.

A Marriage and Retirement Visa is extremely problematic if someone is not married and under the age of 50.

What other visa’s do you suggest for someone in who wants to stay in Thailand long term?

- All I can think of is flirting with legality and going for a Volunteer Visa or Education Visa, Or Obtaining a Tourist Visa... then mixing between them and applying for various extensions etc...  The Elite visa is just simpler. 

1 hour ago, gamini said:

The financial requirements are the same as they were nearly 20 years ago, which taking into consideration inflation it means they are much cheaper now.

BUT.. the requirements are not quite the same, people could border-hop far more readily 20 years ago. 

Back to Back tourist visas or Visa Exempt entries were not an issue. Thailand has since stamped down on such arrangements. 

• Like 1

I understand that these days the Thai Elite is the only option for under 50's without a Thai wife or a job here, but cannot really see the advantages for anyone else unless they are millionaires. I am on the marriage visa, and yes my income is insufficient for retirement. but i still spend more than the 'average' elite member per year, so just as useful to the Thai economy.

As for the perks, not a golf player or interested in frequent massages. My marriage visa uses up only one and half days total a year, mainly for document preparation. Actual extension takes about 1 hour these days, little or no waiting. 90 day reports - last 3 have taken less than 5 minutes and can do on one of my regular trips to town, no need to book anything with immigration.. Only leave once or twice a year (zero at present) so little advantage there. Rarely need a hotel in Bangkok, just a flight change. About 5 years since i set foot outside Suvanabuhmi in Bangkok!

Only necessary for a few people,  rarely value for money

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ohyesuare said:

Probably asked one of them and all falang same same.

Probably ,  TAT. provided this figure  re- quality aliens , big money .

Most of the brits , i have had the mis-fortune to meet .

Would not be spending 3000 thb ,  in a week / mounth .

Another 12 page Elite slag thread. Are you 50? Do you work here? Will you marry to a Thai ? "Thailand" flogged me a dream condo and lifestyle then more than half a decade and visa crackdowens later said I could not fly in as many times as I want on visa exempt after my work block because that was illegally coming too many times. TM-30 just a nuisance. It was a "no brainer" joining Elite Easy access 5 year.

I would have re-enlisted for another 5 years  thanks to covid-19, the best thing ever to happen to the programs new entries, if Elite would have got me into Thailand again any faster but it was not any easier than O-A in my own country. . I'm not glad to be over 50. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Wow, it only take you hour? It takes me an hour to get there, a half hour to park, walk in and get my bank book updated, whatever time it takes to get the visa an hour or more to get home. By the time it's all said and done, I'm into it for most of a day...

I didn't include the trip. Why? Because I usually make a day of it to do other things as well. And, yes, last time, after making an online reservation, it took about an hour to walk in, go to the Immigration Officer and wait for the return of my passport. It took me about five minutes to go to Bangkok Bank and get my banking letter and copy of my pass book.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I didn't include the trip. Why? Because I usually make a day of it to do other things as well. And, yes, last time, after making an online reservation, it took about an hour to walk in, go to the Immigration Officer and wait for the return of my passport. It took me about five minutes to go to Bangkok Bank and get my banking letter and copy of my pass book.

Will Bangkok Bank actually make a copy for you? Krungsri will not, or at least will not for me. 

I don't bother with the letter, I just make a deposit that morning and update the book so it shows the deposit and the balance same day.

Not much I want to do on that side of town, and what with the construction traffic has been a nightmare last few times I've been.

On 2/11/2021 at 6:05 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have Permanent Residency. 

People with Elite Visas are oiks and peasants pretending to be be residents that we actual residents look down upon. 

I think you missed out on a few things in life Meeseeks. The first thing would be having a brain. The second thing would be learning how to live without a brain.  

What entitles you to decide that all these thousands elite holders recon themselves and are pretending to be residents?
Aaaaahhh. I got it na. I almost forgot your brain isn’t working all that well.  

I am looking forward to I’ll get my Thai citizenship. Because from that day I will look down on all foreigners with ONLY permanent residency. I’ll print that passport on my t shirt and go all over Bangkok saying “look at me, I am great, I stand over you you little <deleted>.  You re nothing with that worthless piece of <deleted> residency.” “You might just go home, cause I am the owner of This Thailand.” 

Good luck with your future social rank farang hiarky. 
What a sad sod looser boy you are Meeseeks!

Edited by GeilGeilertzen

On 2/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, John Drake said:

We non-Elites do not need to go either. Can either mail it or go online. That means one trip to CW per year for the extension. Took me about one hour last time with the advanced reservation system. One hour of my time versus 600,000 baht.  Hmmm. There's a decision for you.

Ah cool, I was not aware of that. For many other reasons, buying this Elite Visa was the best decision for me. It takes all kind!

On 2/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, Pilotman said:

A crazy waste of money in my view. But I suppose that if it is the only way to get into the country, you could be forced to use this scam visa. The thought of throwing 600,000 Baht at these people every, what is it, 5 years, is laughable and to avoid 90day reports, which take me 10 minutes online every 3 months.  Now you can get one with an over priced, poorly built condo. Unbelievable.   

I think your trying to relate as a typical expat. Those that buy in don't see the expense as having any impact. Not hard to find a couple of thousand a year that have real wealth and want to spend it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 2:47 PM, Yellowtail said:

I don't bother with the letter, I just make a deposit that morning and update the book so it shows the deposit and the balance same day.

Most offices require the letter (no more than one week old) AND the bank book updated on the same day that you apply.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, judokrab said:

Most offices require the letter (no more than one week old) AND the bank book updated on the same day that you apply.

Don't the the staff at Chang Wattana where I've been getting mine. In any event, you can get the letter same day while you wait at Krungsri if you need it.

So less than a third (3,000 of the now 10,000 members) are actually in Thailand at the moment while holding a visa designed for a long term stay in the Kingdom. That's one way to not having to provide a service after receiving payment.

The value of THB 3000 THB per day each TE holder is supposed to spend is quite frankly pulled out of his rectum.

Quoting the loss as THB246 Million over such a long 18 year period sounds very small and inaccurate. Several years ago the loss was reportedly hundreds of millions higher. Maybe they were able to reduce the overall deficit since then? But considering their official sales numbers for 2019/2020 I'm surprised they still have any loss at all.

Obviously the Thailand Elite Visa Company is filled with people who are over grossly overpaid which largely contributes to the losses of the past. I guarantee you Somchai and his "board" don't work for pocket change.

12 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

So less than a third (3,000 of the now 10,000 members) are actually in Thailand at the moment while holding a visa designed for a long term stay in the Kingdom. That's one way to not having to provide a service after receiving payment.

The value of THB 3000 THB per day each TE holder is supposed to spend is quite frankly pulled out of his rectum.

Quoting the loss as THB246 Million over such a long 18 year period sounds very small and inaccurate. Several years ago the loss was reportedly hundreds of millions higher. Maybe they were able to reduce the overall deficit since then? But considering their official sales numbers for 2019/2020 I'm surprised they still have any loss at all.

Obviously the Thailand Elite Visa Company is filled with people who are over grossly overpaid which largely contributes to the losses of the past. I guarantee you Somchai and his "board" don't work for pocket change.

The three thousand is an average, which would mean that if only a third of them are in the country, the one's that are here are spending nine thousand a day, which is really more realistic. That higher math does get a little rugged I know....

On 3/12/2021 at 6:52 AM, Yellowtail said:

The three thousand is an average, which would mean that if only a third of them are in the country, the one's that are here are spending nine thousand a day, which is really more realistic. That higher math does get a little rugged I know....

None of these amounts are realistic. Especially not the 9000 per day. No. Way. In. Hell. ????

55 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

None of these amounts are realistic. Especially not the 9000 per day. No. Way. In. Hell. ????

What did a nice hotel room cost pre-covid?

What does a nice condo cost?

What does a nice steak cost?

People that have the dough to spend a million baht for a visa are likely not staying in a dump eating mama noodles. 

Edited by Yellowtail

Yes, yes, yes, the usual Thai refrain, 'Jam tomorrow"

Bursting into profit seems to be an annual claim/promise from these people, methinks their crystal ball is cracked.

It'll be interesting to see what they report next year when they think this year's claims have all been forgotten. I think they place too much reliance on the legendary short little span of attention Thais are very prone to.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And I think thats fair enough - everyone who has come across it has their view on the Thai Elite Membership. 

When I opted for the Thai Elite Visa - it was 1MB for life time membership. 

I was in my early 30’s living in Thailand. Unmarried. 

I was playing Golf about 40 times per year (twice per week when not overseas)

In and out of Thailand about 8 times per year (8 return airport journeys)

Full medical each year (25k) 

At the time I calculated membership would have paid for itself before 10 years. 

I’ve been a member for 13 years - membership has pretty much paid for itself already.

Now I’m married I don’t need the visa. But the perks are still very handy.

I remember thinking when it first came out 'why would anyone need or want that' and that 1 million was a rip off and the company was going to go bankrupt anyway. Visas for all weren't even a hassle then and many were even indulging in the fake border stamps/how mad was that.....Then there were some sticky times, I can't remember the exact details, but it was touch and go as to whether Elite members were going to lose their investment......................But it turns out that the initial investors were the shrewd ones and have a bargain (lifetime for a million, especially if you are a Brit at 2003 exchange rates)....................Anyways, with inflation and 18 years later and for those that have the cash, I could understand why some might want the Elite visa..................until, I have just read on this thead that you still have to do 90 day reports....<deleted>, I had no idea..............it completely defeats the point in my mind....... But that's me, if I'm gonna pay, I want everything delivered, not half measures....................But regardless, I think it's great that there are alternative visa options, especially in times when it seems to me that there are possibly less choices and certainly more restrictions/stricter enforcement..........................