Elite card holders - many Brits - spend 3,000 baht a day - company heading for profit as membership soars

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Somchai said they spend $100 a day each on average or around 3,000 baht and on average stay in Thailand 4-6 months of the year. 

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How does Somchai know that? 

I think it must be some kind of survey of the elite visa members. Given the 'luxury'/'high-end' tag, wonder if they don't feel under some pressure to inflate it. That said, if they're mostly staying in 5 star hotels, a starbucks or two and they're there ????

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Pr's look down on the Elites

Elites look down on the Retirees

Retirees look down on the Married's

Married's look down on the Tourists

Tourists look down on the illegals

KNOW YOUR PLACE

I suppose the Non-B place is between Married's and Tourists then? ????

Well, considering all the hassle of marriage with a Thai I would place Non-B's between Retirees and Married's :biggrin:

Edited by fdsa
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AgentSmith said:

Income and corporate taxes in Europe are much much more than that when you're the least bit successful with your business.

That makes me a total failure (at least judged by my tax payments)!  Or maybe I can handle HMRC relations better than these poor guys? 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The company also said that they have signed agreements with 10 real estate developers regarding 46 different projects to attract foreigners to buy property worth 10 million baht and get long term residence under the Elite Flexible One plan. 

I don't understand, isn't it already possible to get a visa when investing 10 million Baht in real-estate or stocks?

What does long term residence mean? Is it permanent residence, or just a few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

That makes me a total failure (at least judged by my tax payments)!  Or maybe I can handle HMRC relations better than these poor guys? 

Are you saying you're paying less than 241 pounds per month corporate and income taxes combined??

3 hours ago, Happyman108 said:

sometime people just too poor to understand why some spend millions on a watch whereby they can get it for just a 100 baht.........same for this elite visa, sure most of you are not their target customer for this simple reason. 555

If the elite visa holders are spending an average of ฿3,000 per day....which means many are spending less...I’d be guessing that they’re the ones buying the ฿100 watches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AgentSmith said:

Elite visa for many people is a real bargain. There's nothing elite about it.

Taxation aside, I used to go to the UK once a year to get my visa when it was possible to easily pick up a one year visa with a trip to the consulate.

This trip typically cost 200k Baht over and above what I would usually spend each year. I like to fly business class and stay in a reasonable hotel whilst I'm there (there are no good hotels where I go - none!) - and that's just for a week.

Then along came this Elite visa, I cancelled my planned trip and didn't bother going back, that was 6 or 7 years ago.

It's the gift that keeps on giving - no unnecessary travel all the way to Europe is required and it's much cheaper overall.

Most people won't be like me and stay here all year around but for me it's perfect.

• Like 2

He also said that 3,000 of the now 10,000 members are actually in Thailand at the moment

Crikey who'd have thought that .. actually setting foot on hallowed Thai soil after paying a pile of dosh for such a privilege .. 

Elite Cards - the scheme to give foreigners long term residency for up to 2 million baht - has been a loss maker in its 18 years since it started in 2003, said Somchai Sungsawang

Perhaps a play off against Thai Airways for the best at losing money is in order .. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

A crazy waste of money in my view. But I suppose that if it is the only way to get into the country, you could be forced to use this scam visa. The thought of throwing 600,000 Baht at these people every, what is it, 5 years, is laughable and to avoid 90day reports, which take me 10 minutes online every 3 months.  Now you can get one with an over priced, poorly built condo. Unbelievable.   

Yes, I use to think the bar girls were good at  extracting the dollars out of your pocket , but they are learners compared to this method of extracting dollars from ones pocket, even being so desperate to return to Thailand , I will give this Elite Visa a miss, even if this is the only way to get into Thailand , it's just the principle of the whole thing , they were never like this in my early years visiting Thailand , but now days, they must lay awake all night thinking up more ways of extracting more money out of us Foreigners .... Regards,,,,,Popa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

What actually happens is that the property developers buy the cards, then it is built into the price, trying to get an Elite Visa without buying an overpriced condo is very difficult to do. 

Yes another scam, now the big boys are very busy working out scams, while the Tuk Tuk scammers have to plant rice. 

That is not how it works with Developers. The Thai Elite Visa is an "add-on" at a separate cost from the Condo purchase, it is an optional extra. I looked into it, but IMHO it is bad idea as if you sell the Condo, the Visa is gone too. 

11 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Crikey who'd have thought that .. actually setting foot on hallowed Thai soil after paying a pile of dosh for such a privilege .. 

Perhaps a play off against Thai Airways for the best at losing money is in order .. 

I'm sure both will have penalties involved somehow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

trying to get an Elite Visa without buying an overpriced condo is very difficult to do.

It's as simple as filling out a multi page form and sending it in via email. Once accepted you make a single payment and you're done.

It's really a very simple process.

• Like 2