WATER | tanks & in ground water pump

Guest StephenB

Guest StephenB

The water table has been dropping last few years and the unit (above ground pressure tank with jet in the bore hole down 18m) is not cutting it.

I want to put a in ground pump that is down deeper than what I have now, and have it fill up a couple of tanks each day.

-I need advice on type of water tank to buy. I was thinking two stainless 2k L tanks, but the salesman told my wife to get the vinyl / poly /plastic rated for UV type.

Anybody have issues or experience on this? I am guessing I need concrete slab with metal rebar and footings?

-Secondly the in ground pump, I need recommendations on this too. I am looking at Mitsubishi (MEATH). I don't know how many stages I need and am unsure about how deep I want to go but would like it to be able to run on a couple solar panels in the daytime and automate it to just fill the tanks up during daytime. Looks like the watts need are from 670 to 2.2kw depending on the model. So I am guessing three panels for middle of the road?

thx

21 minutes ago, StephenB said:

vinyl / poly /plastic rated for UV type ?

I am guessing I need concrete slab with metal rebar and footings?

Those tanks we have found OK.

2m x 2m x 100mm deep concrete mix slab 0.4 m3 on compacted ground.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, StephenB said:

The water table has been dropping last few years and the unit (above ground pressure tank with jet in the bore hole down 18m) is not cutting it.

Does the well run dry? Or does it just not pump much water? If your current setup is a jet pump direct to your home then all you need is to add a tank or 2 and the original pump will be fine to fill the tanks. 

47 minutes ago, StephenB said:

-I need advice on type of water tank to buy. I was thinking two stainless 2k L tanks, but the salesman told my wife to get the vinyl / poly /plastic rated for UV type.

Anybody have issues or experience on this? I am guessing I need concrete slab with metal rebar and footings?

Ive had both, and the stainless ones get hot as hell if in direct sunlight. You'd likely need to build a roof over them for the summertime. The plastic ones are better, but the stainless ones are more aesthetic. I have a single 1000 liter tank and its more than enough for a house with 3 people and a small garden, assuming your issue is not a well running dry. 

Cant comment on the solar panels, but again, if your current pump works and the well doesn't run dry, then you dont really need to do any of that, unless you just want to. 

1 minute ago, StephenB said:

The well runs dry

Then you may have more issues than just lowering the suction point. How many inches is the well diameter? Hopefully its 4" or more. 

Recommend you contact your local well drilling people and have them lower the suction point of the jet first to make sure that solves your problem. If it does, great, but if it doesn't, then youll need to get quotes on either re-drilling the original well, or drilling a new one. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I would eer on the safety side in case of some subsidence and go for 200mm thick slab

I run a 2 HP ' Franklin " submersible pump which is down 120 M, and have no issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

StephenB, these aquifers can be tricky things. I've seen 2 large community bores, side by side, one having plenty of water and the other not much.

If you are in Isaan, evidently they have previously extensively mapped the Isaan aquifers.

Can't remember now who did it, but the records are kept somewhere in each Changwat I presume. If you find the aquifier drawings for your area you may be able to see the depths etc and your location corrosponding to the water storage areas.

It always helps when visiting these places to dress neatly and help support the social club.

Also there could be a downside as when they know you have a bore, they might want to charge you for the water you take.

Since you've run out of water and not just a slow aquifier recharge maybe check out the Changwat office.

• Like 1

Stainless steel tanks sold in Thailand are NOT recommended for well water storage. There are several quality brands of deep well submersible well pumps you can buy at better pump dealers in Thailand. Name brands DO matter if you ever want parts in the years to come. The build quality is better on the genuine name brands such as Franklin Schaefer, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Grundfos, DAB submersible well pumps in my observation. Solar DC brushless pumps made in China is a different subject. All the major water tank companies offer different series of water storage tanks, often with far different specifications. Any good home builders merchants store in Thailand would be able to show you the spec sheet of the different series of water tanks. I observe folks sometimes demanding to buy too powerful of a submersible water pump for the depth of well they have drilled. There are proper water pump control boxes that take into account voltage drop sold at the larger stores including Global House, Thai Watsdau.  Certainly proper control boxes are stock in trade at the stores that focus on water pumps. 

Buriram SAFE sandstone rainwater storage tanks delivery.jpg

Buriram Thailand DOS water tanks PPR pipe inside Delivery.jpg

Franklin Electric Schaefer Pumps visited by Mr. Pichai from Buriram.jpg

from Buriram to World Headquarters of Franklin Electric Pumps in USA.jpg

7 hours ago, Cake Monster said:
7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would eer on the safety side in case of some subsidence and go for 200mm thick slab

Neither of those are needed on our soil flattened earth with sand to level and a loose layer of thin concrete blocks on their sides is plenty for our 7,500 litres of stored water. 

Your advice may be good if your soil is way less stable than mine. Neither of us know the soil structure of the OP, so advice is poor idea. Mine is suitable for my soil, yours would be an immense waste of money and time for me.