What's with the sudden fascination over Chinese New Year?

WineOh

I think many thai IG stars post in red just because so many of the rich and influence people are chinese or of recent decent. 

Just how deep this connection goes to the CCP we will not know until to late.  But it's looking ominous to me. 

• Sad 1

On 2/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, WineOh said:

I wont be celebrating and I find it appalling that kids are being forced to celebrate it in schools too. 

this is not china!

soon the Thai government schools will have a Chinese studies curriculum approved by the CCP, will march up and down, salute the chinese flag and sing songs praising their chinese benefactors.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, WineOh said:

does that mean I need to be force fed firecrackers for breakfast? 

No one forces you to celebrate. I hazard a guess if you found the elixer of eternal life you would complain they didnt provide a straw.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

No one forces you to celebrate.

I wonder if they force their own citizens to celebrate in china?

wonder what the penalty for abstaining from celebrating would be? Flogging? Waterboarding? 6months in a re-education camp? 

marvelous society, isnt it? Lets celebrate! ????????????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

I wonder if they force their own citizens to celebrate in china?

wonder what the penalty for abstaining from celebrating would be? Flogging? Waterboarding? 6months in a re-education camp? 

marvelous society, isnt it? Lets celebrate! ????????????

You're sad and very ignorant.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You're sad and very ignorant.

Do you have any idea what they are doing to the Uyghur people at the moment?

Who's ignorant then?

Edited by WineOh
  • Sad 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, WineOh said:

errr, correct me if i'm wrong but this is THAILAND.

Last time I checked I wasn't living in CHINA.

Why on earth is chinese new year now a public holiday in Thailand?

what the hell is going on!

And they celebrate Divali in UK.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:24 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Remember that 2021 is the Chinese year of the ox....or to put it another way, the year of the bullocks....

You mean <deleted>? I think you know what I mean. ????

Edited by possum1931
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, MartinL said:

It's a government holiday - slightly different from a national holiday, apparently.

Perhaps this link will be allowed:-

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2020/12/29/chinese-new-year-is-among-new-govt-holidays-for-2021/

It seems logical, though. After all, most of the government seems to be of Chinese ancestry and seem very keen on Thailand becoming 'Little China'.

"most of the government seems to be of Chinese ancestry". I am not saying that you are wrong, but the unelected "PM" has Thai soldiers under him, and it is hard to see most of them having Chinese ancesters, unless of course there are financial reasons.

18 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Just as long as they celebrate at home to stop the pandemic reoccuring. Can do without the firecrackers. Cause of accidents and the odd heart attack as well as driving my dog nuts!

My wife uses firecrackers to scare the pigeons away from the house just as darkness falls, the dog doesn't bother.

Going a little bit of topic here, but there is not anywhere near the amount of pigeons around my house as there used to be.

To the newbee who asked this question, you should travel around the country of Thailand, and you would be surprised of how many Thai families have some Chinese in their lineage.  Yes there have been a lot of

people in the past that escaped China and travelled to Thailand for a better life.  I have quite a percentage

of Chinese with in my Thai family who live mostly in Bangkok.  Oh!  do not be so surprised, as not all

of us Farangs went to Thailand and did not check up on the various areas where some of the Thais

came from.  Try to think of your own home country..... per chance?

Geezer

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sujo said:

Did a chinaman steal your bike when you were 10?

About three or four years back there was a huge Chinese gathering on the walkway at Beach Road blocking everyone's way, probably waiting for a boat, I walked round about them, a short time later on my way back, I saw lots of spit lying where they had all gathered. I would wonder how many people would have walked on that.

Sorry, but there have been lots of reading here on Thaivisa about the Chinese and their filthy habits. You never seem to hear about these habits from any other of the surrounding countries, always the Chinese.

May I also point out that there are also many decent Chinese, I never heard or read anything about any dirty habits from them in any of the cities in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

About three or four years back there was a huge Chinese gathering on the walkway at Beach Road blocking everyone's way, probably waiting for a boat, I walked round about them, a short time later on my way back, I saw lots of spit lying where they had all gathered. I would wonder how many people would have walked on that.

Sorry, but there have been lots of reading here on Thaivisa about the Chinese and their filthy habits. You never seem to hear about these habits from any other of the surrounding countries, always the Chinese.

May I also point out that there are also many decent Chinese, I never heard or read anything about any dirty habits from them in any of the cities in the UK.

I have an older thai chinese woman living next door to me.

the noises she makes at 6am every morning is enough to turn your stomach. Coughing her guts  up and grebbing all over her patio, sounds like she smokes 40 a day.

revolting. 

Edited by WineOh

8 minutes ago, WineOh said:

I have an older thai chinese woman living next door to me.

the noises she makes at 6am every morning is enough to turn your stomach. Coughing her guts  up and grebbing all over her patio, sounds like she smokes 40 a day.

revolting. 

Only 40??

20 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

The difference is that it is now a government holiday. I suspect before long it will be a national holiday. Oh dear....

What's your rationale for that rather abstruse hypothesis?

The Thai government has simply added eight extra days of public holidays to the 2021 calendar so that the locals are guaranteed at least one long holiday weekend each quarter. Instead of gurning, us farangs should be just going along for the ride, no? Unless you are one of those malcontents that posts Thai-bashing comments online after each and every article of local news in the "other newspaper". I thought the perpetual Thai bashers on ThaiVisa were a pretty pathetic bunch but over there, they take it to a whole new level of sadness.

• Like 2