What's with the sudden fascination over Chinese New Year?

WineOh

3 hours ago, WineOh said:
4 hours ago, thedemon said:

In Vietnam, Tet is the main holiday of the year. Is that indoctrination?

No.

Because they only celebrate it in VIETNAM.

If Tet was imposed on the people of Laos then that would be indoctrination. 

Ya think?

1013985078_notquite.jpg.664d35a5e93d3d4da0a2e97d03624911.jpg

And a very happy Kud Chin (or Kud Viet) to you too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Laos

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, WineOh said:

errr, correct me if i'm wrong but this is THAILAND.

Last time I checked I wasn't living in CHINA.

Why on earth is chinese new year now a public holiday in Thailand?

what the hell is going on!

And the Tai people immigrated from where? Knowing a little history helps to understand the world around you ...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WineOh said:

you what la?

Not much, but you said,

4 hours ago, WineOh said:

No.

Because they only celebrate it in VIETNAM.

If Tet was imposed on the people of Laos then that would be indoctrination. 

They celebrate Tet and CNY in Laos. They're all out on the streets right now, dressed in red and getting pished.

Chúc Mừng Năm Mới

PS: Hoping the black garb thing is working out for you.

Edited by NanLaew

22 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Err the Chinese community in Canada is not in China. The Chinese Community in the US is not in China. The Chinese community in Australia is not in China. The Chinese community in Malaysia is not in China. The Chinese community in Singapore is NOT in China. those countries and many othrs embrace the culture and encourage it,

Apart from your seemingly bigoted view why should the Chinese Community (and those of Chinese descent- also known as the Merchant Class) in Thailand not celebrate?

A very blinkered, although not bigoted, view. Is Chinese New Year a public holiday in Canada? And in the US? And in Australia. And in Malaysia? And in Singapore?

With your logic, can we now expect a Thai national holiday on American independence day for the Americans living in Thailand, on St George's day for the Brits living in Thailand, another for Australia Day for the Australians living here? And so on and so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't notice anything different out here in the middle of Isan. Everyone was dressed normally and there were no crackers or parties. A lady did post a photo of herself dressed in red, with a dragon motif, and I briefly wondered what that was about.

Now I know, thanks to ThaiVisa! I also learned that today is a government holiday!

I've always preferred the Siamese beauty of the ladies out here in Isan, as opposed to the more Chinese-ethnic Thais in the rest of Thailand. 

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A very blinkered, although not bigoted, view. Is Chinese New Year a public holiday in Canada? And in the US? And in Australia. And in Malaysia? And in Singapore?

With your logic, can we now expect a Thai national holiday on American independence day for the Americans living in Thailand, on St George's day for the Brits living in Thailand, another for Australia Day for the Australians living here? And so on and so on.

Nail on the head mate!

Cheers la

didn't realize there were so many China lovers on this forum!

Now i know!

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Stocky said:

They do it the same ever year down here, hasn't changed in the 27 years of my experience.

The difference is that it is now a government holiday. I suspect before long it will be a national holiday. Oh dear....

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Considering the Chinese population and heritage within the Thai population its hardly surprising and in my area its pretty much the same every year.

Celebrating Chinese New Year has been big in Bkk, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and other locations for every year of the 3 decades + that I've lived in Thailand. 

I can't count the number of small and big lion dances I've seen over these years at New Years, and many other times of the year. Some years a big production other years not so big. 

My Thai family don't have Chinese heredity but they always buy lots of Chinese food, put up a few lanterns, buy cheap red & gold costumes for the little kids. Some of their Thai friends do the same.

One old Thai/Chinese lady near my son's house gives all the neighborhood kids (Chinese/Thai/ Chinese Thai) red ungpow packets every year. Some of the Thai families do the same within their families. 

This is in Chiang Mai where their are plenty of Chinese/Chinese Thai heredity families (also true in other parts of Thailand including the big China Town area in Bkk where you can still find small enclaves where the people speak several Chinese languages but don't speak Thai).  

• Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 3:11 AM, WineOh said:

the birds look cute af to be fair.

especially the swensens girls yesterday.

but my natural curiosity cannot help but wonder just what is actually behind it all?

Are they being forced to big up china by the powers that be?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Chinese call themselves pearl skinned but whites call them yellow. I really don't care

In nearly 70 years I have never seen a white person - they are all various shades of pink and the only yellow people I've seen have been suffering quite badly from jaundice.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, MartinL said:

It's a government holiday - slightly different from a national holiday, apparently.

Perhaps this link will be allowed:-

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2020/12/29/chinese-new-year-is-among-new-govt-holidays-for-2021/

It seems logical, though. After all, most of the government seems to be of Chinese ancestry and seem very keen on Thailand becoming 'Little China'.

Thank you for that link. The lack of clarity about government holidays and national holidays is a mess. I, like many, gave my maid the day off today. Our management company, Savills, took the day off today. I based my decision on Savills, but they probably based theirs on a complete lack of definitive specifics.

Edited by samtam

On 2/11/2021 at 7:28 PM, WineOh said:

errr, correct me if i'm wrong but this is THAILAND.

Last time I checked I wasn't living in CHINA.

Why on earth is chinese new year now a public holiday in Thailand?

what the hell is going on!

Have you ever considered where the Thais originated or came from?Why do think they're call Ties Thais?Is it because of their Thais ties to the land from whence they came?A few years ago they pulled out a 200 year old Chinese boat from a nearby creek only 5 km from where I live.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

Don't know where you expats are from  , you can't all be newbies.  Chinese New  Year  better known as The Lunar New Year has alsways been celebrated in Thailand and most Asian countries. Google it.  It is also celebrated worldwide in regions and countries that house significant Overseas Chinese or Sinophone populations, including Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam (Tet), Laos the Philippines, and Mauritius, as well as in North America and Europe. I have been coming here for over 20 years and the crowds in downtown Bangkok near the Giant Swing used to be horendous. Went with my wife where they used to give everyone Thai and Farang a ticket with a number on it.   Around mid day they would call out the number and that person would win a house.

Why is Lunar New Year called Chinese?
It is commonly called Lunar New Year”, because it is based on the lunisolar Chinese calendar. ... The festival traditionally begins on the first day of the first month (Chinese: 正月; pinyin: zhēng yuè) in the Chinese calendar and ends with Lantern Festival which is on the 15th day.

I lived and took up martial arts in Boston MA,USA and every Chinese New Year would be a huge celebration in China Town with every martial arts school putting on demonstrations/fire crackers and performing Lion Dance  to chase away the evil spirits from the resturants and shops in  area

800-chinese-new-year-firecrackers.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

A few years ago they pulled out a 200 year old Chinese boat from a nearby creek only 5 km from where I live.

does that mean I need to be force fed firecrackers for breakfast? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, WineOh said:

Not for me.

That plane ticket back to the west is looking more appetizing by the day!

Let's see how bad it gets, once I reach my threshold i'm outta here.

The sooner the better, people say

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Don't know where you expats are from  , you can't all be newbies.  Chinese New  Year  better known as The Lunar New Year has alsways been celebrated in Thailand and most Asian countries. Google it.  It is also celebrated worldwide in regions and countries that house significant Overseas Chinese or Sinophone populations, including Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam (Tet), Laos the Philippines, and Mauritius, as well as in North America and Europe. I have been coming here for over 20 years and the crowds in downtown Bangkok near the Giant Swing used to be horendous. Went with my wife where they used to give everyone Thai and Farang a ticket with a number on it.   Around mid day they would call out the number and that person would win a house.

Why is Lunar New Year called Chinese?
It is commonly called Lunar New Year”, because it is based on the lunisolar Chinese calendar. ... The festival traditionally begins on the first day of the first month (Chinese: 正月; pinyin: zhēng yuè) in the Chinese calendar and ends with Lantern Festival which is on the 15th day.

I lived and took up martial arts in Boston MA,USA and every Chinese New Year would be a huge celebration in China Town with every martial arts school putting on demonstrations/fire crackers and performing Lion Dance  to chase away the evil spirits from the resturants and shops in  area

800-chinese-new-year-firecrackers.jpg

CNY celebrations every year for decades at least in Sydney and Melbourne.

• Like 2

We should all behave like this German guy who is trying to find out how Chinese New Year is celebrated in Thailand rather than condemning it like some people here.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2