What's with the sudden fascination over Chinese New Year?

WineOh

1 minute ago, Catkiwi said:

They are not "making every Thai observe" It has been declared a government holiday. Therefore, government run departments etc. will not be open. Everyone else is free to carry on and celebrate, or not, as they wish.

Whatever, Btw, "Songkran in Thailand is celebrated on a low scale between Thais in many European countries but to make it a Public Holiday would be considered making the European's observe a Thai Public holiday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Whatever? You are not very clever are you? The ratio of Thai's or Thai decedents in Europe does not even begin to compare to the ratio of Chinese decedents in Thailand. Perhaps you could upskill at some stage and come back to class with a more informed opinion Mr. Felt.

Mr. or is it Mrs. Cat. I'm to your information very well aware of the presence of Chinese descents in Thailand being married with a Thai Chinese for nearly a decade but that not mean I think that a government without support from all the citizens (doesn't they call it democracy!) should have the right to decide a new foreign public holiday. Btw, good luck with your polite attitude.

Felt.

2 hours ago, WineOh said:

Chinese new year is NOT their festival.

the clue is in the name.

Really? Songkran is also not their festival because it is Indian in origin so they shouldn't celebrate either. Nor should anyone celebrate Christmas in Thailand.

Go read some history to the links I provided earlier.

According to you, Americans shouldn't celebrate Christmas either because they are not the natives there? Ethnic Tai aren't the natives in Thailand in case you don't know.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Mr. or is it Mrs. Cat. I'm to your information very well aware of the presence of Chinese descents in Thailand being married with a Thai Chinese for nearly a decade but that not mean I think that a government without support from all the citizens (doesn't they call it democracy!) should have the right to decide a new foreign public holiday. Btw, good luck with your polite attitude.

Felt.

Yawn..."I'm to your information" Lol! One last comment Mr. Felt, a democracy does not necessarily have "support from all of the citizens" A democracy is supported and voted in by the majority of citizens "doesn't they call it democracy" Now,  just consider yourself privileged that you encountered my "polite" attitude tonight. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, ICELANDMAN said:

Everyone know this. What problems you have ?

Oh, you don't want to begin to hear my problems. I think the relevant question is what problem do you have with Thai Chinese nationals celebrating the Luna New Year? Are you offended, affected or just bloody ignorant to another culture?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Thais must be the most New Year partied people on the planet, they celebrate the Western New Year, the Chinese New year ( today 12th ) and their own New Year, Songkran in April, party on down people ????????????????????????????????????

Of course someone will correct me with a more party orientated country, but I don't care, Happy New Year of the Ox everyone.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a poorly kept secret that much of Asia, and especially Sino-dominant Asian countries, is eager to see the West replaced by China as the dominant global power. 

It's why you hear very few in this part of the world blaming China for all this pain and suffering. Suspiciously quiet, correct? Yes, they understand that they, too, must sacrifice and endure some pain to get a point where whites don't dominate. 

We all witnessed Thailand become suddenly anti Farang during the past few years, seemingly eager to replace us with their cousins the Chinese. This is all related. 

16 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

The Thais must be the most New Year partied people on the planet, they celebrate the Western New Year, the Chinese New year ( today 12th ) and their own New Year, Songkran in April, party on down people ????????????????????????????????????

Of course someone will correct me with a more party orientated country, but I don't care, Happy New Year of the Ox everyone.

Yeah last year was the year of the bat

9 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

but to make every Thai observe a foreign public holiday is a stretch because there are actually millions of Thais with no relation to China whatsoever. 

This is exactly my point brother! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

They are not "making every Thai observe" It has been declared a government holiday. Therefore, government run departments etc. will not be open. Everyone else is free to carry on and celebrate, or not, as they wish.

They are also forcing kids in public and private schools to join in and for a bit of china lovin, regardless if they have chinese heritage or not..

I call that indoctrination. 

9 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Whatever, Btw, "Songkran in Thailand is celebrated on a low scale between Thais in many European countries but to make it a Public Holiday would be considered making the European's observe a Thai Public holiday.

cheers mate.

nice to read a bit of sense over my morning coffee:coffee1:

9 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

Oh, you don't want to begin to hear my problems. I think the relevant question is what problem do you have with Thai Chinese nationals celebrating the Luna New Year? Are you offended, affected or just bloody ignorant to another culture?

You definitely have a big problem interpreting what I wrote.

CNY was a public holiday in Thailand until the late 80's/early nineties. It was dropped and the extra day added to make a longer Songkhran holiday mainly to make it more practical for factory workers etc. to return upcountry.

Even nowadays CNY is commonly taken as an extra holiday. My company has always been closed for one day if it falls on a weekday. Nothing to do with China but because almost all our suppliers are closed and several of our staff are Thai Chinese.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Remember that 2021 is the Chinese year of the ox....or to put it another way, the year of the bullocks....

Yesterday in the local coffee shop I was getting the year of the ox and how I am an earth pig as my birthday next Saturday born in '47.

Yes, more bullocks.  More bullocks as the years go on eh .

25 minutes ago, thedemon said:

CNY was a public holiday in Thailand until the late 80's/early nineties. It was dropped and the extra day added to make a longer Songkhran holiday mainly to make it more practical for factory workers etc. to return upcountry.

Even nowadays CNY is commonly taken as an extra holiday. My company has always been closed for one day if it falls on a weekday. Nothing to do with China but because almost all our suppliers are closed and several of our staff are Thai Chinese.

Wifey just came back from the city limits to tell me the banks are closed .

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thedemon said:

In Vietnam, Tet is the main holiday of the year. Is that indoctrination?

No.

Because they only celebrate it in VIETNAM.

If Tet was imposed on the people of Laos then that would be indoctrination.