More than 40% of Britons in poor health or struggling financially amid pandemic, says UK regulator

snoop1130

More than 40% of Britons in poor health or struggling financially amid pandemic, says UK regulator

By Huw Jones

2021-02-11T105402Z_2_LYNXMPEH1A0N6_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People shop at a market stalls, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in east London, Britain, January 23, 2021. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 40 percent of Britons are struggling financially or suffering poor health, a sharp increase from last year driven by the COVID-19 pandemic, Britain's Financial Conduct Authority said on Thursday.

The FCA said there are now 27.7 million adults in Britain affected by low financial resilience, poor health or other recent negative life events, up from 24 million in February 2020, a month before the country went into its first lockdown to fight the pandemic. Britain's total population is 67 million.

Having just one of the characteristics puts a consumer at greater risk of harm, the FCA said in the latest findings of its regular Financial Lives survey.

The survey contacted 16,000 people between August 2019 and February 2020, with a follow up survey of 22,000 people in October last year.

Consumers with too much debt to manage or low levels of savings or erratic earnings rose from 10.7 million to 14.2 million during 2020, the FCA said.

Over 13 million people are expected to struggle to make ends meet, with many saying they are expected to take on more debt, cut back on essentials, or use a food bank, it said.

"The pain is not being shared equally with a higher than average proportion of younger and BAME adults becoming vulnerable since March," said Nisha Arora, the FCA's director of consumer and retail policy.

"It is likely the picture will have got worse since we conducted the survey," she said.

To ease the financial pain of COVID-19, which caused the worst economic slump in 300 years, the government told banks to offer payment "holidays" lasting many months on mortgages, credit cards and other forms of credit.

One in six mortgage borrowers or 3.2 million people took up a payment deferral.

The expiry of relief measures this year is likely to trigger more financial difficulties for people, with Bank of England Deputy Governor Sam Woods warning last week that the worst was yet to come for banks, which had provided the measures.

Finance minister Rishi Sunak is under pressure to do more to protect the economy and fund the fight against COVID-19 in his March 3 budget, having already increased spending and cut taxes by over 280 billion pounds ($385 billion).

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-11

Are we surprised that such a large number of Brits are in bad shape? THe average British city does not make room for bicycles. Compare to some cities in Spain (which the British have traditionally looked down upon), the dedicated cycle lanes are measured in hundreds of km. In the UK, cycle lanes are simply roadways that have markings on them. Same in Germany. And I believe that Ireland's cities are waking up to dedicated cycle lanes too. Cannot speak for other countries in Europe as these are the only countries I have visited recently.

Speaking of being in bad shape, the financial sector is probably in the worst shape ever. Amsterdam is now trading in more shares daily than London. UK banks are in poor shape - customer service is really terrible. The computer system of the bank I deal with is down with monotonous regularity or only partially working. Tens of thousands of people have mortages on properties that are in limbo because of building codes either not fit for purpose or not being applied, thereby making leasehold properties unsaleable. Yes, the taxpayer is having to do something about it. But why has building code enforcement not been done properly. I used to work in different countries on building sites and I remember the code enforcement visits. Some were scheduled but often they were surprise visits. In the USA, I lived in a jurisdiction where the police, fire and building code enforcement were all in the one department and shared information. There were no dodgy builders in that city!

49 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Disagree to a certain extent. There are jobs out there. Many people seem reluctant to change and are not working because they can't find a job they want. Not that they can't find a job at all.

Upon arriving in late 2019 I found a job within 1 month. Not exactly what I wanted but a job none the less. A job that covered the requirement of £18600 to get a settlement visa for my wife.

Since March 2020 three of us have been here. As soon as visas and certain checks were done we were all employed. 

Current earnings combined of myself, wife and daughter are in the region of £5000 a month gross. This by doing jobs that most people would be capable of doing.

Large retail outlets, delivery companies, care homes ( to name a few) are crying out for workers. 

The jobs are out there. One just has to choose to be a bit less picky.

A shared income of GBP£60,000 a year - thats reasonable. 

What jobs are you and your Wife doing ?

The care homes jobs are atrocious - I wouldn’t let my Wife do one of those (perhaps I am too picky on her behalf - the pay is also minimum wage for unsociable hours). 

----

I recall being a 21 year old graduate - No work, I went for job seekers allowance - the factory jobs I was directed to were hideous... I was clearly too picky and thought too much of myself to work in a factory (a month later I was signing a contact in Singapore) - but, had I not found career work I would have had no choice but to turn to something just to make ends meet - a very depressing prospect. There are jobs which are more enjoyable than others. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Are we surprised that such a large number of Brits are in bad shape? THe average British city does not make room for bicycles. Compare to some cities in Spain (which the British have traditionally looked down upon), the dedicated cycle lanes are measured in hundreds of km. In the UK, cycle lanes are simply roadways that have markings on them. Same in Germany. And I believe that Ireland's cities are waking up to dedicated cycle lanes too. Cannot speak for other countries in Europe as these are the only countries I have visited recently.

So if everyone used bicycles more they'd get out of debt? Is this why there is so much personal debt in Thailand?

Hey TAT if this number is accurate,  well your chance of getting all the usual Brits back to visit, will  have to take this factor into consideration.  The facts are like that for a lot of countries, where a lot of people have been out of work for months, and some have had to get much less paying jobs just to keep from losing their homes and

vehicles.  The future of fact is much different than you so far estimated future forecasts.

In Canada, I believe that a lot of people are financially poorer than they were 1 year ago as well.  I am fortunate that I am retired and have enough money to survive.

Geezer

On 2/12/2021 at 11:14 PM, placeholder said:

Stop making things up. Mortality is way up despite the fact the flu deaths are way down. And, no, governments aren't miscategorizing flu deaths as covid deaths. Epidemiological surveys of the various populations confirm this. Which makes sense since flu is much less contagious than covid so masks and social distancing are far more effective in suppressing it.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Decreased Influenza Activity During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, Australia, Chile, and South Africa, 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6937a6.htm

Of course, if you're not making things up, please offer a link to the CDC that supports your assertion. Good luck with that.

Have to agree with Placeholder 100%. Last years UK registered deaths is out and it is the highest number since 1918. Yes, 1918. As much as WW1 AND Spanish flu could achieve. I'm sure the same will apply to USA.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A shared income of GBP£60,000 a year - thats reasonable. 

What jobs are you and your Wife doing .

Civil Servants , comes to mind ..

On 2/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, darksidedog said:

While the older generation of my family are OK, the younger ones most definitely are struggling. I have had to help out more than a few times to a couple of siblings and their families.

As a recently homeless/retired person, my only option was to leave the country. High rents for temporary accommodation was killing me. You either need to own your own home or be on welfare.

Edited by OswaldBastable
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:15 PM, natway09 said:

This time of the year in particular, it is just miserable in the UK

I can understand many are struggling.

All my kids l'm lucky to say but all grown up as well as gransons and granddaughters seems to be OK they just want the pubs to open again and restaurants which is happening soon. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, youreavinalaff said:

I did say myself, wife and daughter. So that 60k is divisible by 3.

We are all care workers. Working in good conditions, hours anywhere between 8am and 8pm and salary well above minimum wage. 36 hours a week permanent contracts.

Like I said, there are jobs out there. 

Unless medically qualified, all the advertised care home jobs where we are, Surrey, pay minimum wage.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:15 AM, natway09 said:

This time of the year in particular, it is just miserable in the UK

Fortunately I don't have much time on my hands to be miserable, busy with work, haven't stopped since returning home from Thailand last April. 

A post from an unapproved source has been removed.  

Here's the rule

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

On 2/15/2021 at 10:07 PM, rickudon said:

Have to agree with Placeholder 100%. Last years UK registered deaths is out and it is the highest number since 1918. Yes, 1918. As much as WW1 AND Spanish flu could achieve. I'm sure the same will apply to USA.

That's a very poor comparison to make, since the UK population has almost doubled since 1918, and so the actual number of deaths is bound to rise accordingly.

A better measure is the death rate per 1000 citizens, which fell steadily from 12.5 in 1951 to 9.1 in 2019. In 2020, this figure will rebound to about 10.0, a rate comparable to that in 2003.

It's worth noting that there is now a much higher proportion of old and very old people in the UK than there were in previous decades, exacerbating the effect of a viral infection.

So, Covid has had a serious impact, but not an apocalyptic one. It will be worth keeping an eye on the death toll next year from causes such as cancer, due to delayed or missed diagnoses.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Unless medically qualified, all the advertised care home jobs where we are, Surrey, pay minimum wage.

Not looking in the right places. Since I uploaded my CV, no medical training, to an agency site I have received many offers. All above minimum wage.

We are in W.Sussex. I fail to see how Surrey, slightly more affluent than W.Sussex, would be any different.

With the view to improving ones position from time to time, since end of 2019 I have applied for and started 3 jobs. My wife and daughter are happy with their care jobs, no medical training or experience. Hourly rates from £8.72 to £10, depending on what day the shift is. IE, more pay at weekends.

I agree that your age could be a barrier. That said, by the age of 65 I would have thought it would be easily possible to live off what you have earned and invested. I, for one, have no intention of working much past 60. Something I have been planning for since I was young.

Edited by youreavinalaff

On 3/15/2021 at 8:24 AM, elliss said:

If you would like to read my second post, I fully explained there.

Anyhow, we are all care workers. That 5000 pounds a month is the total of 3 salaries. Not 2. 

We have only been together in UK as a family since March 2020 so not a bad figure in that time. My daughter has since moved up a rung on the ladder at her job and attained a pay rise, so make that 5200 a month.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:38 PM, darksidedog said:

While the older generation of my family are OK, the younger ones most definitely are struggling. I have had to help out more than a few times to a couple of siblings and their families.

Hard times are indeed in the UK, though undoubtedly everywhere around the world, the financial pain of the have nots is being felt.

It is sad that those who have gained billions since the pandemic began, have pretty much universally declined to spread some of that love.

Can only hope the various vaccines bring life back to normal soon and people can find their feet again.

Is  this  more a  young  V  Old  live for today attitude though with youngsters  who  all want it NOW. If  I couldn't  pay for it I didn't  have it, wasn't  hard to follow this kind of philosophy, the only exception was a mortgage and I  borrowed the smallest  amount and paid  it back after 3  years , mainly from working more than 12  hours a  day everyday for many years.

I always  put  money aside knowing you never knew what was  coming down the line in future.

All I see is the  big weddings throwing  huge sums at a  wedding party in the UK, I always  said to my Wife  choice between a  big wedding party or a fridge/ washing machine and the appliances  will win every time. 

Money always  put aside for  the rainy days.

That said the ridiculous UK  house prices today create a huge financial burden on youngsters who already to get a decent  education (which was free right though to university  when I was schooled) creates    debt even before you become employed.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not looking in the right places. Since I uploaded my CV, no medical training, to an agency site I have received many offers. All above minimum wage.

We are looking at vacancies, including care home vacancies, on the DWP job search site, agencies and individual employers.

I accept that there are vacancies for home care workers which pay more than minimum wage; but the nature of the job means one has to be mobile and we do not own a car as previously I had a company one which I had to return when I lost the job. My wife can't drive, anyway.

Glad that you have received many offers via agencies. Despite uploading our CVs to national ones and local ones, we haven't. 

This week, on her work search coach's advice, my wife registered with a new agency we had not heard of before. Their response: "Please can you advise the type of work you are seeking and salary level."

When she replied that she was looking for retail, care or cleaning and would accept minimum wage, they replied "Thank you for coming back to me. Unfortunately, we do not recruit in these industries."

We are in W.Sussex. I fail to see how Surrey, slightly more affluent than W.Sussex, would be any different.

Yet it is; at least it is a stone's throw from the M25 where we live.

With the view to improving ones position from time to time, since end of 2019 I have applied for and started 3 jobs. My wife and daughter are happy with their care jobs, no medical training or experience.

Good for you.

Since returning from my sister in law's funeral last April my wife and I have both applied for far more than 3. As I've said, she was successful in one as a Christmas temp and I finally was successful in December.

Hourly rates from £8.72 to £10, depending on what day the shift is. IE, more pay at weekends.

So minimum wage plus £ 1.28 shift allowance if worked.

Extra payments for working unsocial hours or shift cannot be included in the minimum wage (source).

There is also no obligation for employers to pay any extra for unsocial hours; so many don't.

I agree that your age could be a barrier. That said, by the age of 65 I would have thought it would be easily possible to live off what you have earned and invested. I, for one, have no intention of working much past 60. Something I have been planning for since I was young.

We have plans for the future and have made financial provision for them. 

But that does not detract from my point that whilst you and your family have all obtained jobs during the pandemic: many, like us, through no fault of their own and despite their best efforts have not.

Some of your comments, such as

On 2/12/2021 at 12:15 PM, youreavinalaff said:

The jobs are out there. One just has to choose to be a bit less picky

remind me of Norman Tebbit and his 'get on your bike' statement; are you by chance related?