Battery Life..

1FinickyOne

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Your local "battery man" will have a tester, but it really only gives you a Good, Failing or Bad indication.

Batteries do tend to fail suddenly in the tropics so if it's been more than a couple of years it's probably worth swapping.

Make sure you know your radio code in case it forgets during the swap-over process.

Wrong.

There are many battery testers that will give a very accurate battery condition indication based on the internal resistance. There are also load tests that will give additional information about the battery. The dealer of your car brand will have this kind of equipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

the final diagnosis will be the same, "better replace now", "you're going to need a new one soon" or "it's great".

I don't like to get too involved w/my car.. I just like it to run well... it has been several years, maybe 4-5 or more since i replaced the battery and a little stutter when I start it in cold weather... I will replace. I live a bit too far out to want problems. 

Thanks to all for responses. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mistral53 said:

The dealer of your car brand will have this kind of equipment.

My dealer went rogue a little while ago... I no longer have trust. 

I will go to the local tire dealer chain... they have always proved to be decent and never an obligation to fill my tires w/air... and the workers refuse a tip. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Your local "battery man" will have a tester,

The correct tester is a load tester, it puts a high load (100 to 200 amps) on the battery and measures the voltage drop.

A good battery will drop just a little (1 or 2volt) and not any further over the period of the test (15 to 30 seconds)

A poor battery will initially drop a little but will only hold it for a few seconds and then continue dropping.

If the tester is analogue you can see the needle falling.

It's worth remembering a battery when new is at full capacity, and over time the capacity reduces.
Eg: If your battery originally could produce 100 amp hour of power and your engine requires 50 amp hour to start, when your battery has aged to half it's original capacity, you are right on the cusp of not starting.!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Wrong.

There are many battery testers that will give a very accurate battery condition indication based on the internal resistance. There are also load tests that will give additional information about the battery. The dealer of your car brand will have this kind of equipment.

Just a thought. What if battery voltage is measured as engine  cranking is started? The voltage drop will be a direct result of the internal resistance you mentioned. A DIY load test as you mention. 

The trick would be to measure such drop with a new battery and then save it for future tests over the battery life. 

My unverified suspicion is that if voltage drops more than 2-3 volts cranking then the battery is near end of life. This assumed a fully charged battery and a repeatable cold/hot engine for each test. 

• Thanks 1

If you have got three years out of it that is good. If you are nearing four years it won't be long before you are calling for help, when stranded somewhere. That is assuming of course your battery is in the engine compartment and not in the boot.

It is not a good idea for your wife or GF to breakdown on any road, especially at night!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

It has been a long time since I replaced my car battery... and I am beginning to have suspicions that I am nearing the end... I do not want to get stranded. 

is there a way for them to check the remaining life? Do they have a way to do this? 

Get your Local Gay to put a Load test on the Batt it will show up Good or on the way out or Bad 

I 've got a replacement done on my car .

The original  Batt  started the car a Bit Slower after Nearly 7 Yrs.

Never seen that before .That's the Best Batt I 've ever had.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

is there a way for them to check the remaining life?

It is easy to estimate it by a voltmeter. 
After a daily drive check the battery voltage on arrival to home (engine off). Then check the battery voltage the day after before you start you car. 
example: After arrival it reads 12.5volts and 
the day after reads 12.0 volts or 11.8

then your battery will be gone soon. 

Note: I recommend to have a voltmeter installed in your car then you can read the battery voltage easily anytime. I even have it on my motorcycle. 

Edited by The Theory

19 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Wrong.

I had a suspect battery, less than two years old, that passed each and every test with the dealerships high-tech, paper printout battery tester. Two days after it's last test pass, it completely died while parked overnight at the airport.

Another battery (different truck), maybe only a year old, did six starts between the 5 a.m. run to the market, then to Mrs NL's restaurant before the 8 a.m. school runs. I pulled into the PTT to fill up before a run to Bangkok at 9 a.m. and it wouldn't start. Battery dead.

My experience is if you detect a slight lag in how quick it turns over and fires up, the battery is about to go. And when they go, they go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:17 AM, Crossy said:

Batteries do tend to fail suddenly in the tropics so if it's been more than a couple of years it's probably worth swapping.

Very true and for similar reasons (but opposite) they fail here in the UK.

A lot is to do with the quality of the battery though.  I have no idea who actually makes batteries for BMW but I took one off my old 320d that was 12 years old.  I thought at first that some 'fool' who previously owned the car must have bought a new replacement battery from their BMW dealer but then I spotted the date sticker - same age as the car.  Never known a battery last that long before.

In the UK I'd expect 3 to 4 years from a decent quality battery - no idea in a tropical climate but I've noticed the one on my bike didn't last long.

Edited by KhaoYai

Just now, KhaoYai said:

Very true and for similar reasons they fail here in the UK.

A lot is to do with the quality of the battery though.  I have no idea who actually makes batteries for BMW but I took one off my old 320d that was 12 years old.  I thought at first that some 'fool' who previously owned the car must have bought a new replacement battery from their BMW dealer but then I spotted the date sticker - same age as the car.  Never known a battery last that long before.

In the UK I'd expect 3 to 4 years form a decent quality battery - no idea in a tropical climate but I've noticed the one on my bike didn't last long.

3.5  Years Thailand. for me anyway. GS battery make.

In my experience car batteries tend to last around the 2 year mark in the tropics, if you're past that you're doing good. I hooked my latest one up to a smart charger when I was gone for an extended period and still only got around 2 years. I also went with the most expensive battery I could find and that didn't help either. Good luck.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 6:03 AM, Crossy said:

Indeed, the major battery places should also have one.

Loads of detail, CCA, internal resistance, voltage etc etc. But the final diagnosis will be the same, "better replace now", "you're going to need a new one soon" or "it's great".

After a couple of years in this climate, the diagnosis will say "replace" rather than "great".

In your first post you used the word "suddenly", which people should bear in mind.

When my wife had her Mazda, run around during the day without a problem, went out at night and come time to go home wouldn't turn the engine over. Big downside to autos, no bump start, had to wait till her brother came out, felt very vulnerable once everyone else had disappeared.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JAS21 said:

If you have got three years out of it that is good. If you are nearing four years it won't be long before you are calling for help, when stranded somewhere. That is assuming of course your battery is in the engine compartment and not in the boot.

It is not a good idea for your wife or GF to breakdown on any road, especially at night!

I just renewed my insurance online with roojai and, as my battery is now entering it's third year under the hood, I checked the 'roadside assist' option box. I only get one jump-start for that but one jump-start is all I need to tell me it's time to buy a new battery.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is a new one on me, always thought another battery was required.

yes. what can i say

go buy new at every 2 years.

as TV posters think this is best way to go

Go figure.

Edited by quake