Medical certificates now mandatory for driving licenses and new car purchases in Thailand

snoop1130

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

Not for renewals of the 5 year driving license.

I had to produce one for my 5 year renewal every time, and my wife has just renewed and required a med cert. Actually I had to give them 2 because they wanted one for each license.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seismic said:

I had to produce one for my 5 year renewal every time, and my wife has just renewed and required a med cert. Actually I had to give them 2 because they wanted one for each license.

The issue is when you want to buy a Motorbike or Car you will need a medical certificate.  Did you miss that point in the OP 

3 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

And what about those who have a driving license for life?

Is it automatically presumed that they are all fit enough to drive and have no underlying health conditions? 

The OP states that "It also applies to all forms of land transport and medical certificate is even required to be shown when purchasing a new vehicle."

3 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

But who supplies said cert' .. 

Needs to be a doctor not open to any sort of inducement to give an honest , accurate appraisal of an applicants health ..

5 times now I've been issued with a medical certificate (for driving license and work permit) without ever seeing doctor.

Last medical exam to support driving license application was two questions 1) any health problems (answer obviously "No") and 2) can you tell the difference between red and green (answer "yeah red is the top light, green bottom")

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue is when you want to buy a Motorbike or Car you will need a medical certificate.  Did you miss that point in the OP 

Who owns the car may be perfectly healthy, who drives the car is a different matter.

My friends wife is 35 with no health issues, but can't/won't drive car, so she buys one for her husband whose 84 and has limited vision with both eyes. 

Ive had several medicals here, 2 for driving licences. 50-100 baht over the counter for a piece of paper from the receptionist at 2 different places. Never once did I see a doctor or had an examination. Wasn't even asked if I wanted one. Standard practice here. Its not about the examination, its about the piece of paper

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Who owns the car may be perfectly healthy, who drives the car is a different matter.

My friends wife is 35 with no health issues, but can't/won't drive car, so she buys one for her husband whose 84 and has limited vision with both eyes. 

But she needs the cert and he doesn't capisce.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Anyone applying for a driving license in Thailand will soon need to submit a medical certificate in order to prove they do not have any underlying health conditions which may impair their ability to drive.

Local doctor's here charge 150 THB (no actual health check necessary ) so not a big deal

Edited by poohy

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

Would this certificate  have to certify that the applicant actually has a brain.

Most Thai drivers would fail this requirement.

Not so true.

They all have a brand, spanking new one.

Unused, still in the box with the plastic still around it. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

need to submit a medical certificate in order to prove they do not have any underlying health conditions which may impair their ability to drive.

problem solved, I expect to see Thailand go from last place to the world top 10 for road safety in March - how has it taken them so long to figure this out, some very smart people have obviously got involved just in the last few months - did someone get a promotion ?

Is it too early to announce Thailand as a "The Road safety """"HUB"""" of Asia or even the world" Big things are a foot - I feel it 

Maybe a "U - Turn" might be in the mix 

I can't contain myself any longer :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

OMG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Easily replaced with a 500 Baht note.

1000 for farang, naturally. 

9 hours ago, Salerno said:

Thought the going rate for a med cert was 100 Bht?

100 baht and a short chat with a doctor is all it takes. 

Maybe if one heads to Bumrungrad one could spend 1,000 baht!

Some people are clueless. That's why farangs get ripped off so often. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

But she needs the cert to buy the car for him to drive and he doesn't necause he ain't buying it.  Capisce.

Edited by ThailandRyan

This policy is good for the overall safety when it comes to driving.  The problem here you can go to any Thai Clinic like now and get one for 100 baht if not cheaper in and out in less than 10 minutes.

The two major problem with accidents drinking/driving and speeding the only medical problem associated with driving is all in the head and that would start with government leaders who don't to have a clue as to the problem

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kotsak said:

Sorry but as long stupidity is not diagnosed there won't be an improvement in the number of accidents.

unfortunately insulting Thailand and Thai people with racial slurs is allowed on Thaivisa and very common. A reply which would questions who is more stupid, the writer of this remark, or Thai people, would not be allowed though and Thaivisa would ban me, again, for it.

For all cynical farang who suffer from a superior complex and think they are smart and other non western ppl are stupid, you should be denied a visa to live here. As tye old saying goes, if you dont like it here, go back to your own covid infested own country. nobody forces you to live here and to live in any other country is not a right, but a privilige granted by the original citizens.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Again, if they Thai gov had data to show why most (a large percentage) accident deaths / accidents occur due to medical reasons (not including drunk driving) then pushing medical cert. might make sense.

• how many deaths / accidents and drivers don't have license
  • how many deaths / accidents due to one driver going the wrong way on a street hiway
  • how many deaths / accidents due to no seat belts being worn
  • how many deaths / accidents due to more than 2 people on a motorbike
  • how many deaths / accidents due to motorbike drivers and passenger not wearing a helmet (real helmet)
  • how many deaths / accidents due to one of the listed medical reasons they want to exclude
  • how many deaths / accidents happening at u-turns where vehicle doing u-turn is at fault
  • how many deaths / accidents where one driver was impaired - drunk, drugs, a sleep

Collect the data then restructure how driver licenses should be given.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

But she needs the cert to buy the car for him to drive and he doesn't necause he ain't buying it.  Capisce.

Oh I understand alright the whole object of the medical certificate is so that the person buying the car is medically fit to drive it, to reduce road accidents, not to hand it to somebody else who shouldn't be driving and can't buy one for himself as he's medically unfit to drive.

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

lets hope there is a sexy nurse to take my blood pressure at the dept of transportation. 

Then you'll fail

In saying that you would be allowed to go back and try again, how often would you be able to go back to the sexy nurse before they cotton on and get a 50 yo bruiser for you.

22 minutes ago, captainhornblower said:

Why? A medical certificate takes 10 minutes and costs 150 baht where I go...

Overcharged, last one I got didn't need to see the doctor and was only 30 baht.

Got to the DLT office and was don't need that for a renewal.

I'll see what happens next year.

• Like 1