Quarantine hotel starts legal action after man posts negative review online - even though he found a cockroach in his food!

snoop1130

Desperate times, desperate measures are now being used as a tool by Thailand's hotels to make additional income whether you have proof or not.

This is the second time a hotel has filed defamation charges for a customer reporting their stay at the hotel. 

Those that decide to visit Thailand and get this type of service, change your name and report it.  There so much identity theft I don't understand why people use their name and photo anyway. 

The pictures don't lie. Knowing how the justice system here is, I can not wait to hear the outcome since he has photos. I have stayed in many hotels throughout Asia. This is the norm and the only way to get the point across to the owners is to show the true colors of their facilities and service. 

An unjust decision will be a dent in tourists for sure. 

Edited by Truth Will Set You Free
Added words
  • Like 1

Just a little tip when saying in a hotel. Never stay in a room with no windows as I did this once in Chiang Mai because they were fully booked. I woke up about 3 in the morning and I was covered with flying cockroach's. They were  hundreds of them on me. I tried to change my room but they were fully booked for 2 days. So I left and found a hotel with a room with a window and no bugs. Great night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Defense Ministry? 

What happened to the TAT and Sex tours?  Should they not be held accountable for Quarenteen Lodging.  

As in the same ministry who has spun the Submarine scam that will only cost the Tax Payers of Thailand 22.5 billion baht?

I think it would be appropriate for Mr. TAT to come out and take responsibility.  Promise all the potential Sexy tourists on Sex tour, that he will personally take charge of the situation and rectify. 

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

A big nothing burger.  Let them take legal action, they will get nowhere.  

Whether what the OP said is true or not is not the point. The hotel only has to prove the comments on the internet have hurt his business.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

many more awful details and pix in https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/02/17/hotel-threatens-to-sue-after-nightmarish-quarantine-review-goes-viral/

and not surprising:

"Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Tanee Saengrat said his agency is aware of the complaints and will pass them along to the defense ministry, who runs the state quarantine operations across the country."

How defence ministry can run such projects and such hotels?

where is prayuth and prawit to make public statements?

And the defense ministry seems to be protecting the hotel wonder how thick the envelope is 

4 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I stayed at the hotel mentioned in the Khaosod link.  It was very nice and with great views of the sea.  It also has a massive pool and tennis courts.  Not a problem at all.  Granted, this was 26 years ago.  Maybe their standards have slipped?

Only a little slip, really unnoticeable to the average Thai, that must mean this guy is well above average? 

23 minutes ago, mackayae said:

Whether what the OP said is true or not is not the point. The hotel only has to prove the comments on the internet have hurt his business.

Indeed you are correct. Perhaps though you have not been subject to the Thai legal system. They will never get satisfaction or money.  In Thailand, even if you win you lose.  All he has to do is delay, not show for court appearances and finally keep appealing the case.  In the end if there is a punitive award for damages, just don’t pay.  Then they have to keep going back to court.  It’s a no win for everyone but the lawyers.  The process can easily be 5 years plus.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wadman said:

TripAdvisor actually did a good job assisting the farang who filed the report. 

Yes, their attitude was/is that their cusomers' reviews should be both positive and negative - if all the posts are positive, there is no point in having a review system

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The guy might be right but it still doesn't give him the right to slander the hotel guilty or not as they say 

LIBEL, Buttypants - he never spoke anything to anyone.
Secondly, if you're talking about rights in the West, not Thailand, it's only libelous if it's an untrue statement.

In this case it it's neither libelous or slanderous (as the terms only apply to false statements.).

The point of the entire article, which you have missed, is neither libel or slander - it's defamation.

Edited by robsamui

The defamation laws in this country are a joke!

Going by his photos the place looks disgusting, and now the owners have decided to close it for 3 months - why? To destroy the evidence, and replace everything with shiny new, and say the photos can't be of THEIR hotel? Come and have a look!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hope he made his review on TripAdvisor and they come to the rescue... 

Trip Advisor paid for the legal costs of the ‘other guy’ who recently made the headlines after leaving going on somewhat of a vendetta against a hotel in Koh Chang - the guy had to publicly apologise and TripAdvisor had to agree to remove their reviews but had the last laugh circumnavigating the agreement with a ‘Message from Trip Advisor’ on the hotels TripAdvisor Site... 

The defamation laws in Thailand do nothing other than drag the country down - no good whatsoever comes of them the only serve the wealthy and powerful in their abhorrent business practices. 

What's happened to free speech, or doesn't it apply in Thailand. 

UK government have just brought a law out strengthening free speech.

The hotel should show proof of what he wrote wasn't true.

• Haha 1