Quarantine hotel starts legal action after man posts negative review online - even though he found a cockroach in his food!

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Why on earth would TripAdvisor get involved in something that has nothing to do with them whatsoever?

Why on earth would TripAdvisor get involved with a hotel that appears to be shown sub-standard to the industry?!?  Hmmmm  I don't know, maybe because they are in the business of reviewing said properties?!?!   And these reviews come from individuals like the man in this article? 

Why wouldn't they make their powerful platform available in combating the very thing that threatens their business model!?!   

<removed>

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

I don't think tripadvisor will release your ip address if you do a review using an anon name and email, etc. They are not Thailand based.

Nobody uses real names or phone numbers these days...

You cannot leave a review on TA unless you have a confirmed booking at any property same with all OTA's and with Airbnb can you imagine what it would be like if any Tom Dick or Harry was allowed to write a review,

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, waders123 said:

Why on earth would TripAdvisor get involved with a hotel that appears to be shown sub-standard to the industry?!?  Hmmmm  I don't know, maybe because they are in the business of reviewing said properties?!?!   And these reviews come from individuals like the man in this article? 

Why wouldn't they make their powerful platform available in combating the very thing that threatens their business model!?!   

<removed>

Again, why would a company get involved with a case that has nothing to do with them; the review wasn't on TripAdvisor.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Hope he made his review on TripAdvisor and they come to the rescue... 

Trip Advisor paid for the legal costs of the ‘other guy’ who recently made the headlines after leaving going on somewhat of a vendetta against a hotel in Koh Chang - the guy had to publicly apologise and TripAdvisor had to agree to remove their reviews but had the last laugh circumnavigating the agreement with a ‘Message from Trip Advisor’ on the hotels TripAdvisor Site... 

The defamation laws in Thailand do nothing other than drag the country down - no good whatsoever comes of them the only serve the wealthy and powerful in their abhorrent business practices. 

There is quite a big difference between the 2 cases. The Koh Chang complaint was about behavior with no tangible evidence. It's pretty hard to argue that there wasn't an insect in his food, that the mattress isn't near rotten and the place isn't infested with insects of all types, as he has ample photographic proof to back up his assertions. His expose is in the public interest and benefit. The hotel doesn't have a defamation case IMO. It's all bluff - they won't proceed. He should also have reported it to the Health Ministry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Defamation laws are created for a reason but this is not one of them when the facts are clear

It is in Thailand, you are not allowed to publicly defame anyone - even if what you state is true.  The news channels must have a hell of a task deciding what they can and cannot report - as the BBC's Jonathan Head discovered in 2017.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30307027

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

So what?! This is all about ego and saving face! Filing a lawsuit against someone who speaks the truth will make matters only way worse for the owner of the hotel in regards to public option about the place. Making an effort to improve the place on the other hand would probably work so much better in terms of damage control! 

So what?! No lawyer would ever advise it which is all I said in my post. 

On 2/17/2021 at 9:14 PM, orchis said:

the beautiful 4000-room ambassador city in jomtien

Stayed here several times before. They have no tourists now and I bet the government is not giving them enough money for upkeep. Or they a're pocketing it. The bugs soon move in if there rooms are not used and regularly cleaned. Not really surprised at this outcome. These stupid defamation laws, created to protect the elite, should go.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 6:46 PM, RichardColeman said:

There's a clue in there somewhere, if only I could find it

This guy shouldn't complain, if he is too cheap to spend money for a better experience. What the hell did he expect from a free, government sponsored hotel?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, hottrader77 said:
16 hours ago, Matreusse said:

Same as in every country.

Not true , in england even british people have to pay 1,750 pounds to quarentine in a hotel when arriving , but thailand no thais get free farlang dont tottally racist.

What I posted is true, I was referring to foreigners, not citizens.

I really don't get it!

Why do some people  travel half way around the world 10-15 hrs on plane having their face covered all the time throughout the long flight and go through a 14 day in-hotel quarantine-hell and end up in a city where there is nobody in streets, no fun, night curfew, having to wear a mask most of the time in scorching heat and humidity, dirty air , dirty beach and floods...And you can't see anyone's face because they are all covered with mask most of the time too.

and after spending thousand of dollars on this nonsense trip on absolutely nothing, they probably  have to go through the same additional 14 day quarantine when they arrive their home country!

WHY???

Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:14 PM, ChipButty said:

I stayed in a hotel once and complained to the manager about the bugs he said pull the bed from the wall, I said i did they pulled it back

On 2/17/2021 at 12:15 PM, ChipButty said:

Good job he didn't leave a review on Trip Advisor

I always like humour on here, so don't stop now Mr Chips you're on a roll  !!    gettit? gettit?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pattayadude said:

I really don't get it!

Why do some people  travel half way around the world 10-15 hrs on plane having their face covered all the time throughout the long flight and go through a 14 day in-hotel quarantine-hell and end up in a city where there is nobody in streets, no fun, night curfew, having to wear a mask most of the time in scorching heat and humidity, dirty air , dirty beach and floods...And you can't see anyone's face because they are all covered with mask most of the time too.

and after spending thousand of dollars on this nonsense trip on absolutely nothing, they probably  have to go through the same additional 14 day quarantine when they arrive their home country!

WHY???

I agree with you and as tourist I would not do it also.

But  IMO most people that are coming to Thailand now, are people that for one reason or another have to come. Some have business,  , others have wives  , children, homes. etc.

I have not seen my Thai home for over a year. Lucky for me I have my wife with me, a place to stay where I am at, and my sister and brother in-law to take care of the house and the dogs, Otherwise we would also have to bite the bullet   and jump trough all the hoops .

I am excited by the reports that vaccinated people might be allowed in with no or less restrictions by April,

Cant wait to get back . ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

Abbreviation for distant language. 

I thought farlang might be Esperanto but could not find it in that dictionary.

Doing some more research just now I found that farlang is the romanisation of the Urdu word فرلانگ, meaning furlong in English, a unit of measure representing one-eighh of a mile. It makes no sense to me in the context of the post where I saw it.

https://www.urdupoint.com/dictionary/urdu-to-english/farlang-meaning-in-english/41362.html

On 2/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, snoop1130 said:

He described the stay as “probably the most terrible 14 days of my life” and said it wasn’t quarantine but more “like being imprisoned”.

He'll be treated to the real prison experience, of course, if he gets banged up in the Bangkok Hilton as "punishment" for his "heinous crime".