Quarantine hotel starts legal action after man posts negative review online - even though he found a cockroach in his food!

snoop1130

21 minutes ago, Percy P said:

What's happened to free speech, or doesn't it apply in Thailand. 

UK government have just brought a law out strengthening free speech.

The hotel should show proof of what he wrote wasn't true.

In Thai defamation cases, truth doesn't altogether matter, you can be convicted if you have damaged reputation or business by telling the truth. 

Defamation is also a criminal offence, which often carries jail sentences and large payments to the defamed party.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Quarantine hotel starts legal action after man posts negative review online

What in Satan's name is wrong with this country . 

No freedom of Speech, Can't/not Allowed to speak the Truth, If you do ,they call it Defamation. 

They Should get rid of that Defamation Law .It only Helps the bad people.

He should Defame the Hotel, With the help of all the people that have Stayed in that dump.

Then wait and see what the Hotel has to say.

The Law should Back him up and Sue the Hotel Owner/Management. 

Same as with an Accident . It doesn't matter who's wrong or right .

The Cops/ Insurance , they make up their own Rules so it suits them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

I think the guy has good reason to complain reading the amount of complaints he made

You would have thought the Government who are paying for these hotels with public money would have them checked out regularly for cleanliness  and food hygiene up to a reasonable  standard 

Management will only show the inspectors (if they exist) the most pristine rooms.

That bed base is disgusting beyond belief.

Maybe they will need to refurbish after Covid trade, so using all the old rubbish from the storerooms for beds >>

Checked into a well known hotel in BKK couple years ago, room pristine, view excellent service great, turndown good, however when I pulled the bed clothing right down the top sheet had dried blood on it.

That put the cat amongst the pigeons across the hotel.

Edited by RJRS1301

On the plus side I suppose the fact this is a Thai they can't be accused of racism. It's still not a good look though is it particularly since the military aren't the obvious choice if you want a good hotel experience.

I've only stayed in this area once but I thought I'd check out this hotel just in case I go back sometime. There seem to be different wings so I wonder if this is the one they can't use normally as it's so out of date?

While I recognize that Thailand has a right to make its own laws, the draconian interpretation of the international law of libel and slander is outside the pale. Yes, court action If someone publicly commits liable or slider ... that means the accusations are false as found in the court action. If true, and someone sues ... they pay the court costs. At least that is my global understanding of liable/slander law.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The hotel could have just let this slide and it would have died in the morass of today's hot social media posts.

But no. They've got to exert their birth-right to enforce 18th century laws, and lord over a commoner who dared to tell the truth.

Now millions of people around the world are now aware of this dodgy hotel, and Thailand's odd defamation laws.

Not particularly business savvy.

It is so satisfying to observe the Streisand effect in full sail!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

UK government have just brought a law out strengthening free speech.

The hotel should show proof of what he wrote wasn't true.

"What's happened to free speech, or doesn't it apply in Thailand"

In one word - No!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

While I recognize that Thailand has a right to make its own laws, the draconian interpretation of the international law of libel and slander is outside the pale. Yes, court action If someone publicly commits liable or slider ... that means the accusations are false as found in the court action. If true, and someone sues ... they pay the court costs. At least that is my global understanding of liable/slander law.

Damned spell check - I'm sure you mean "libel" - not "liable", and, not so obvious - by "slider" I presume you mean "slander"? (as you spelled correctly in your final sentence!)

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Damned spell check - I'm sure you mean "libel" - not "liable", and, not so obvious - by "slider" I presume you mean "slander"? (as you spelled correctly in your final sentence!)

Yes, thanks. Correct in first sentence and now, it appears, it will not allow me to go back and correct.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hope he made his review on TripAdvisor and they come to the rescue... 

Trip Advisor paid for the legal costs of the ‘other guy’ who recently made the headlines after leaving going on somewhat of a vendetta against a hotel in Koh Chang - the guy had to publicly apologise and TripAdvisor had to agree to remove their reviews but had the last laugh circumnavigating the agreement with a ‘Message from Trip Advisor’ on the hotels TripAdvisor Site... 

The defamation laws in Thailand do nothing other than drag the country down - no good whatsoever comes of them the only serve the wealthy and powerful in their abhorrent business practices. 

The saddest part is that the wealthy don’t seem to think they will go down with the rest of the country... talk about a sense of entitlement, or frankly, lack of vision.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

There are other countries where similar concepts apply but they are fudamentally different.  For example, in certain circumatances, the truth may not be a defence in US libel cases if the libelous statement was made maliciously.

My apologies for the spelling which is really 'typos' - it was late, can't edit them now. ????

9 hours ago, ChipButty said:

thats why on TVisa there are lots of rules and regulations in your free time read up on some of them

I am not interested in anyone's regulations, I will do things my way. and just work my way around anything I don't agree with.

3 hours ago, Percy P said:

Freedom of speech applies in countries that have real democracies, much the same as freedom of the press - Thailand has neither.  Mr Chan-o-Cha may claim that he returned the country to democracy a couple of years ago but in reality, its never actually had democracy.

When you do a little research, you will find there are quite a few aspects of Thai law and law making that go against any rational thinking.  In this case its the fact that 'the truth is no defence' in a defamation case. 

Unrelated but to illustrate my assertion that some Thai laws are irrational, you might want to check out the law on breweries.  I can't remember the exact figure but to open a brewery in Thailand you have to produce 000,000,000 gazillion litres per year.  Thereby excluding any start up businesses and giving the 2 giant breweries in Thailand a complete monopoly over the market.  Although things have changed a bit now, just look at cigarette production and the unshamedly previously named 'Thai Tobacco MONOPOLY'.  How many countries do you know of where the military owns banks and other businesses? What possible reason do they have for that?

The lack of real democracy, antiquated laws, monopolies etc. prevent Thailand from truly moving forward and put off a lot of investment from both domestic and foreign sources. But you have to examine why those things were put in place................................... and in that you will have the answer to many of the country's problems and what's preventing social development as the outdated but still powerful elite cling to control. Each time they even look like losing it, or when someone else becomes so powerful their very existence is threatened, there's a coup and a reset.

And before the 'If you don't like it, go home' squad start squawking, my Mrs (Thai) agrees 100%.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I stayed at the hotel mentioned in the Khaosod link.  It was very nice and with great views of the sea.  It also has a massive pool and tennis courts.  Not a problem at all.  Granted, this was 26 years ago.  Maybe their standards have slipped?

Or maybe the haven't done any cleaning since then?

• Haha 1