Exchanging and getting new bills

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most people walk into a 7-11 and buy a 10bht item.

Just be careful that they don't say for instance that you paid only with 500 Baht or even only with 100 if you gave them 1000. Happened to me already two times. I don't pay with big notes there anymore. I always use Tops or Big C. Never ever had a problem there. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Im thinking more like exchanging it to specific bills. Like a bundle of 20B and 50B. Also new bills.

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

Just be careful that they don't say for instance that you paid only with 500 Baht or even only with 100 if you gave them 1000. Happened to me already two times. I don't pay with big notes there anymore. I always use Tops or Big C. Never ever had a problem there. 

It does sounds like something that can happen...

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The tills all have cameras recording, in case of dispute ask them to see the recording.

(it's to stop the staff stealing from the till)

I did but the recording quality in both cases was so bad that it was useless. You only could see that I gave her money but not how much. I have learned my lesson. I only buy at convenience stores if there is no other easy option and the highest banknote I use at such stores is 100 Baht. It was a very bad experience since in both cases I was the lying criminal. You can imagine that all employees were blaming me and this in front of other customers. And for this I had to pay a lot of money... 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:27 AM, NAoZ said:

Im not familiar with the banking system here. Can I walk in to a random bank and ask to exchange 1000B bills into smaller bills? Do you need an account with them? Fees?

How about if I want new unused bills?

Just walk into any random bank and ASK! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

I used to go into my local bank, where I had my account, to change money into 20s or 10฿ but it always seemed a hassle for them.  They would make a big show of counting out the money and sometimes would just say "don't hab" 

Now I just get change from Tesco or 7-11.

Daffy,    I don't understand the phrase  "don't hab".        Do you mean "No hab"?      That always brings a smile to my face when the Missus says it.   ????

For those  who fear getting wrong change at  a Seven, simply speak out the words, "I give you One Thousand Baht" so there is no misunderstanding with getting change for a 500 THB  note.

Im not familiar with the banking system here. Can I walk in to a random bank and ask to exchange 1000B bills into smaller bills? Do you need an account with them? Fees?

Yes you can do this ,as long as the bills you are giving them are not Fake.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NAoZ said:

Im thinking more like exchanging it to specific bills. Like a bundle of 20B and 50B. Also new bills.

Never been asked in Bangkok Bank for proof of account, I often get 2,000 changed into 20's (ie block of 100 notes), but the notes come as a mix of old/new/uncirculated. If you try to be too specific (ie new notes) it may become a problem

• Like 1

Most banks and most tellers will be happy to help you. The main problem is telling them what you want. I've gotten blank looks in past transactions of this nature.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:09 AM, BritManToo said:

Most people walk into a 7-11 and buy a 10bht item.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, Oldie said:

Just be careful that they don't say for instance that you paid only with 500 Baht or even only with 100 if you gave them 1000. Happened to me already two times. I don't pay with big notes there anymore

This is easily solved, just tell them to keep the change... it also works to help you splurge, maybe buy something extra, a candy bar for the lady behind you... 

33 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Most banks and most tellers will be happy to help you. The main problem is telling them what you want. I've gotten blank looks in past transactions of this nature.

Mee Torn mai? = do you have change?

Bplien dai mai? = can you change?

2 hours ago, action said:

To answer the OP's question,  Yes you can.  There should be no fees and no you don't need an account.  

The way to ask in Thai is,  "Lack Tang Die Mi?"  (To break larger bills into smaller bills)

Or you can just ask in English to change it into small notes! 99% of cashiers would understand. 

Edited by Matreusse

On 2/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, NAoZ said:

It does sounds like something that can happen...

Why do you want to do that ? You want to go to an ago go and make it rain ?? ????

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Daffy,    I don't understand the phrase  "don't hab".        Do you mean "No hab"?      That always brings a smile to my face when the Missus says it. 

You're right :thumbsup:

Must have got lost in translation :whistling:

I did at one point think of depositing 1000฿ and  then while still at the counter withdrawing 1000฿ and requesting  20฿ notes, but decided it just was not worth the hassle :guitar:

Yes, any bank will give you change of reasonable amounts with no charge.  If  you're insisting on new notes you may have issues because you cannot insist on that but, if you ask nicely, with a smile, they will probably accommodate you.

For the odd B1,000 note currency exchange booths will give you change also, I do that at Super Rich Onnut BTS frequently after using the ATM there.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

Or, even better for someone who probably doesn't speak Thai, "Can you change this for _ _ _ _ baht notes, please?

yes! that will work 99% of the time... all the tellers will understand that... only problem might be if they are off for lunch and the maid steps in... 

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

I did but the recording quality in both cases was so bad that it was useless. You only could see that I gave her money but not how much. I have learned my lesson. I only buy at convenience stores if there is no other easy option and the highest banknote I use at such stores is 100 Baht. It was a very bad experience since in both cases I was the lying criminal. You can imagine that all employees were blaming me and this in front of other customers. And for this I had to pay a lot of money... 

They should be able to check the cash in the till, against what that cashier started with.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, Oldie said:

The opposite happened to me more than once

I solve the "problem" by withdrawing amounts that provide me with a maximum of small notes from ATMs, whatever amount I want in 1000s plus 900. So I always carry around a good mix of banknotes.

To preempt any attempts to shortchange me as mentioned by other posters, I then use small notes for small purchases and 1000 baht notes only for >500 baht ones. Never a problem.

That being said, at my local 7/11s specifically, they always say out loud the amount of cash you handed over, and the amount of change they're about to give.

Probably won't believe me that I actually haven't used cash at all for quite a while now. Been at least several weeks since last time I had spent cash. 99% of the time, I only go to places that accept credit cards. I of course do have a few thousands in my wallet, but I personally prefer going cashless. 

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1