Vaccine passports inject new hope for Thai tourism

webfact

Vaccine passports inject new hope for Thai tourism

By Thai PBS World’s Business Desk

pp.jpg

(FILES) In this file photo Registered Nurse Emily Enos loads the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine into a syringe ahead of the distribution of vaccines to seniors above the age of 65 who are experiencing homelessness at the Los Angeles Mission, in the Skid Row area of Downtown Los Angeles, California on February 10, 2021, as the fight against the coronavirus pandemic continues. (Photo by Frederic J. BROWN / AFP)

A “vaccine passport” has emerged as the best hope for Thai tourism businesses devastated by COVID-19. The passport, which could exempt inoculated tourists from the mandatory 14-day quarantine, might help the tourism industry slowly get back on its feet.

What is a vaccine passport?

In essence, a vaccine passport is documentation – very likely an e-document in this increasingly digitalised world – to prove the holder has already been inoculated against a disease. In the current context, vaccine passports will focus on COVID-19, which has so far infected 110 million people and killed 2.42 million since first emerging in December 2019.

Global agencies such as the International Air Transport Association are already busy developing vaccine passports or an equivalent.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vaccine-passports-inject-new-hope-for-thai-tourism/

Logo-top-.png

Keep in mind:

"In response, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) recently proposed luring back foreign tourists with new measures – including an offer to waive mandatory 14-day quarantine for those who can produce a vaccine passport."

This is a suggestion from the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) who have made dozens of suggestions re increasing tourist numbers in recent months, none of which have been adopted.

It's not a statement from the government.

On the other hand, hopefully there will soon be some agreement (hopefully on an international basis) about acceptance of Vaccination Passports or perhaps a Vaccine Passport and rapid testing on arrival, or similar. 

35 minutes ago, BestB said:

False hopes, vaccinated people can carry and infect non vaccinated people. The only time when this passport will be workable and quarantine lifted is when Thais have also been vaccinated.

Considering that Thai have not even started vaccinations, i am afraid passport is a dream in a pipeline 

Thailand will have limitations and restrictions for a long time after other countries have returned to something resembling normalcy. Masking, threat of lockdowns, limitations on movement and activities don't sound too appealing in a holiday destination. Of course hardly any country will have a total normalcy for a long time because the authorities are now so used to being a power trip.

45 minutes ago, rabang said:

Thailand will have limitations and restrictions for a long time after other countries have returned to something resembling normalcy. 

I've said it before, it'll be yes you've been vaccinated but that one does give the right level of cover against the various strains that we want protected against, please go straight to quarantine and pay again, and enjoy your holiday/stay.

• Like 1

Where I live we already have a health passport which shows my picture, ID number, a QR code and my vaccination status. I can imagine having to show this at check in on the future, and a similar kind of IATA approved application linked to it with the same info. It's already happening. 

Screenshot_20210219_121745.jpg

Edited by bermondburi

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is being embraced out of a desperate desire to restore pre-pandemic levels of travel to Thailand. Any other implications are simply not considered, not is the fact that the travel market has utterly gone. No database showing that one is vaccinated will change that.

And in the meantime the Thais are still driving their new Isuzus and sedans... I might be blind but I really see nothing of the so called destitution... 

Thais saving face I guess...

18 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

And in the meantime the Thais are still driving their new Isuzus and sedans... I might be blind but I really see nothing of the so called destitution... 

Thais saving face I guess...

Because in you area you have seen a Thai in A new Isuzu there is no growing economic crisis in Thailand? No devastating growth in unemployment??? 

The UK which has a leed in vaccinations of it's population has stated that it will not be introducing a 'health passport'.  This was something the WHO should have been organising months ago. It's too late now and even if Thailand introduces a document of vaccination  proof that will not resolve the problem of allowing tourists here.  I don't know what the situation is with the US and rest of Europe programs.

In the UK a note is made on your NH record so maybe airlines and immigration would have to have a way  of accessing this information...subject to all the various data protection rules in the world.

I don't gamble but I'll lay  10 baht on this never coming to fruition.

Edited by DaLa
Spelling mistake

44 minutes ago, DaLa said:

The UK which has a leed in vaccinations of it's population has stated that it will not be introducing a 'health passport'.  This was something the WHO should have been organising months ago. It's too late now and even if Thailand introduces a document of vaccination  proof that will not resolve the problem of allowing tourists here.  I don't know what the situation is with the US and rest of Europe programs.

In the UK a note is made on your NH record so maybe airlines and immigration would have to have a way  of accessing this information...subject to all the various data protection rules in the world.

I don't gamble but I'll lay  10 baht on this never coming to fruition.

I'd gamble on it. It is not happening fast but will be expandable to include much more personal data depending on nationality and destination. Visas, criminal records , credit ratings. A major upgrade. Covid-19 is just the thin edge of a wedge.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:42 AM, rheinwiese said:

Digital travel passes and vaccination passports may be a solution, but in order to work, these will require standardization across borders.

Perhaps that doesn't mean all formatted the same

But I suspect it does mean that there's several items of information which must be standard. And ease of checking/verifying needs to have standard aspects, and will need to be fast. 

All meaning of course an always available stable internet connection.

• Like 1

... still will have to wear a mask though, and continually be liable to catch it regardless... 

- but it gives those with the Jab, the power to Point fingers at all the smarter people who have not...  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I'd gamble on it. It is not happening fast but will be expandable to include much more personal data depending on nationality and destination. Visas, criminal records , credit ratings. A major upgrade. Covid-19 is just the thin edge of a wedge.

The Australian Vaccine Passport version is located within the personal Medicare records for all Australians. 

(Medicare Australia is very similar to the free NHS in the UK, all Australians are automatically entitled to full free coverage for most medical conditions - except beauty / face lift procedures or medicines etc. Most families get a Medicare card/membership within a short time after the birth of their kids. Sign up is very simple, only need copy of birth certificate, passport or similar.)

Australians can easily access their personal Medicare records through their own Medicare number.

We're told that the process is already set up so that the record of the first and second jabs will appear in the personal Medicare records within seconds. (Also it will send a reminder to prompt people to go back for their second jab.)

The basic details can easily be transferred to a smartphone or similar and the details on screen from the Medicare records and can easily be printed in the form of a Vaccine certificate.

Also mentioned, some organizations (not sure what this means but suspect it would be medical institutions etc.) can access further details of batch numbers etc.

Airlines etc., will be able to very quickly verify that the details offered by a passenger on a smartphone or on a printed Vaccine Passport document are genuine and acceptable. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

The Australian Vaccine Passport version is located within the personal Medicare records for all Australians. 

(Medicare Australia is very similar to the free NHS in the UK, all Australians are automatically entitled to full free coverage for most medical conditions - except beauty / face lift procedures or medicines etc. Most families get a Medicare card/membership within a short time after the birth of their kids. Sign up is very simple, only need copy of birth certificate, passport or similar.)

Australians can easily access their personal Medicare records through their own Medicare number.

We're told that the process is already set up so that the record of the first and second jabs will appear in the personal Medicare records within seconds. (Also it will send a reminder to prompt people to go back for their second jab.)

The basic details can easily be transferred to a smartphone or similar and the details on screen from the Medicare records and can easily be printed in the form of a Vaccine certificate.

Also mentioned, some organizations (not sure what this means but suspect it would be medical institutions etc.) can access further details of batch numbers etc.

Airlines etc., will be able to very quickly verify that the details offered by a passenger on a smartphone or on a printed Vaccine Passport document are genuine and acceptable. 

That's the theory Scorecard and it would appear to most of us that a solution along those lines would be easy to create and  a necessary move at this point. However the list below has been created by a government department in the UK that they suggest must be met for any scheme to be acceptable.  This is just 1 government, imagine if even a quarter of governments wanted to agree  a common system. 

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 11.50.58.png

• Like 1