Any one doing the OMAD diet ( One Meal a Day )

MrScratch

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't know anything about the "literal" last moments of his life, nor do I really care.  I only know what his views were about excessive carbohydrates which he openly expressed numerous times in interviews, and I know that anyone who is still directing and playing roles in movies into his 80's is in incredibly good health, and he himself attributed that primarily to nutrition, plain and simple.

Humans can adopt easily to any diet and thats what remarkable for humans, that we can survive on almost any diets. 

Still we have phases and lifestyles where different diets can be optimal and also health issues where some kind of food trigger your illness more than other. Myself Im triggered by to much carbs so I try not to eat to much, but still some I do, and perfect for me. 

My grand uncle eat alot of pure fat when he was young because he worked hard in the forrest during winter, and was the easist way to have enough calories. 

He eat mixed food all his life, and managed to become 96, my grandmother 94, and everyone in my family managed to be more than 80 years old eating seasonal mixed food. They where all born before 1900. My mom and dad passing 83 and 84 now and healthy enough to still hit the dance floor, and enjoy mixed food with a glass of wine. Non of them is obese. 

43 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Just a question about your saliva glands, and your gut health when you obviously getting less saliva from chewing on Omad, what do you do regarding reduced saliva?

You are making a fairly unfounded assumption that one chews food less when only eating once a day.  I don't think of how I eat as being "OMAD" and most who choose to only eat once a day don't either.  Those that use the term "OMAD" usually are fairly uninformed about nutrition because eating once a day is not a rigid doctrine or protocol.  It really just comes down to giving the body what it needs, and nothing more.

For me, I do not eat food during the day simply because I have no urge to.  My energy level and mental state are high throughout the day because I am adapted to eating that way.     I find that eating during the day actually blunts my energy and mental state.  When you feel a lift from consuming food when your body doesn't truly need it, that's because your body is reacting to false hunger signals that are more mental and emotional than physical.

I eat after all of my day's work and exercise are done and I can sit down and just relax.  I might start eating around 5 or 6 pm and just leisurely consume food until I no longer want to eat.  It might be over several hours.  When you really let your body talk to you, it's pretty easy to know when you've met its' true nutritional needs, whereas if you eat on a regimented schedule, you lose that ability.

It's just an entirely natural way of eating.  I mean, look at the animal kingdom as a whole.  There are no dinner bells, no prescribed breakfast, lunch and dinner routines.  All of that stuff is just social conditioning and nothing more.

I'm fairly sure I produce just as much saliva in a 24 hour period as anyone eating 3 meals a day.  I also make apoint of staying well hydrated throughout the day with water mixed with home-made electrolytes (calcium, potassium citrate, and magnesium).  Gut health has never been an issue with me that I know of.

Again, I just do things that there is a science-based reason for doing, and it is a very natural and comfortable way to live IMHO.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

That's not true at all.  The negative effects on the human body from excessive carbs are based on hard science, not pseudoscience or unfounded myths...and I'm not talking about just "bad" carbs.  Metabolically your body reacts the same way regardless of whether the carb is from a natural food like an apple, or a processed one like a candy bar.  A carb is a carb...it's really as simple as that.

If you actually delve into the peer-reviewed research over the last decade, it's very compelling that excessive carbs (not calories) are where the health dangers are coming from.

You are getting confused with high carb with excessive carbs, I'm talking high carb low fat, not excessive carbs and not junk. Plenty online about it, Asians were slim for generations on rice carbs, not OMAD, now with western diet they are getting fat. OMAD people just seem to binge, sounds like that's what you do, eating for hours

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

Humans can adopt easily to any diet and thats what remarkable for humans, that we can survive on almost any diets. 

Still we have phases and lifestyles where different diets can be optimal and also health issues where some kind of food trigger your illness more than other. Myself Im triggered by to much carbs so I try not to eat to much, but still some I do, and perfect for me. 

My grand uncle eat alot of pure fat when he was young because he worked hard in the forrest during winter, and was the easist way to have enough calories. 

He eat mixed food all his life, and managed to become 96, my grandmother 94, and everyone in my family managed to be more than 80 years old eating seasonal mixed food. They where all born before 1900. My mom and dad passing 83 and 84 now and healthy enough to still hit the dance floor, and enjoy mixed food with a glass of wine. Non of them is obese. 

What you say is so true!  The problem is that in today's world of highly processed foods, many people adapt to them as well, and sadly most of them are horrible for your health, and most of them are super high in carbs.  The body adapts to that but that doesn't make it a good thing. 

I see nothing wrong with carbs in moderation but the problem is that food manufactures and fast food chains create these foods with the intention of making them more or less addictive simply to increase sales, and it doesn't take long before your metabolism is so screwed up that you crave them over healthier alternatives...and the food companies know it!.  If you ever saw the potato chip company that used the advertising slogan "Betcha can't eat just one" made that pretty clear.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I see nothing wrong with carbs in moderation but the problem is that food manufactures and fast food chains create these foods with the intention of making them more or less addictive simply to increase sales, and it doesn't take long before your metabolism is so screwed up that you crave them over healthier alternatives...and the food companies know it!.  If you ever saw the potato chip company that used the advertising slogan "Betcha can't eat just one" made that pretty clear.

I'm not sure anyone is recommending junk carbs, chips and crisps etc, try to differentiate that stuff and healthy carbs, potatoes, rice etc

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't know anything about the "literal" last moments of his life, nor do I really care. 

Glad that's sorted out, though I'm still not sure whether you realize he hasn't yet had his last moments.????

In the landscape of extinction, precision is next to godliness.

--Samuel Beckett

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm not sure anyone is recommending junk carbs, chips and crisps etc, try to differentiate that stuff and healthy carbs, potatoes, rice etc

In the end, A CARB IS A CARB.  Heavily processed carbs like junk food simply contain concentrated amounts of carbohydrates, but excessive carbohydrates in the diet, no matter whether they are natural or processed are still going to cause long-term health issues.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You are getting confused with high carb with excessive carbs, I'm talking high carb low fat, not excessive carbs and not junk. Plenty online about it, Asians were slim for generations on rice carbs, not OMAD, now with western diet they are getting fat. OMAD people just seem to binge, sounds like that's what you do, eating for hours

Of the three macronutrients (protein, fat, and carbohydrates), the human body actually can function fine without ANY carbohydrates.  I'm not saying that would be pleasant, but my point is that carbohydrates are completely unnecessary for good health. 

My definition of "excessive" carbohydrates are the amount that will cause insulin levels to be elevated throughout the day to an extent that, as a result, glycogen also remains so high that the body has no need to tap into fat stores.  That is unnatural and leads to a maladapted fat metabolism.  In other words, the body becomes inefficient at using fat as a fuel source.

What eating only once a day does is that it allows glycogen levels to get low enough that the body readily transitions to burning fat as fuel.  It is referred to as "fat adaptation" or "keto adaptation".  Ketones are what are responsible for unlocking the body's ability to a) provide an immediate fuel source, and b) to facilitate the breakdown of stored body fat as an indirect fuel source.

I'm not trying to get overly technical, but what I'm talking about is actually a very complex biochemical process.  My point is simply that if you are always in a fed state (i.e.: plenty of glycogen), the body will prefer to use it as fuel, and like anything that is not used regularly, will become very efficient at using stored fat as fuel.  So, eating only once a day prevents that from happening.

Eating a meal over a period of hours is NOT binging.  It is simply a matter of eating leisurely until you are satiated.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

My definition of "excessive" carbohydrates are the amount that will cause insulin levels to be elevated throughout the day to an extent that, as a result, glycogen also remains so high that the body has no need to tap into fat stores. 

The person's degree of insulin resistance can mean that even the so-called healthy carbs in supposedly moderate amounts can be excessive. We never take into account here, very conveniently; but most if not all posters coming here are already insulin resistant to some extent, and may very well not know it. Has much to do with why conventional diets fail, such as our ace ANF Core Nutritional Principle of push away from the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

The person's degree of insulin resistance can mean that even the so-called healthy carbs in supposedly moderate amounts can be excessive. We never take into account here, very conveniently; but most if not all posters coming here are already insulin resistant to some extent, and may very well not know it. Has much to do with why conventional diets fail, such as our ace ANF Core Nutritional Principle of push away from the table.

If the bloaters hadn't eaten too much fatty junk food for years they wouldn't be insulin resistant 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

If the bloaters hadn't eaten too much fatty junk food for years they wouldn't be insulin resistant 

Actually it arose from the excessive carbs, in junk food and added sugar + the so-called healthy carbs (in fruit and starches, not veggies) + the lack of exercise. Fact is, they're insulin resistant now.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, BigStar said:

Glad that's sorted out, though I'm still not sure whether you realize he hasn't yet had his last moments.????

In the landscape of extinction, precision is next to godliness.

--Samuel Beckett

Damn!  It seem you are correct!  I saw a report of his passing from what I thought was a very credible source...CNN!  Now that I google further it turns out that was a fake post with a CNN logo appearing on it.  It's pretty appalling how much misinformation and trickery goes on in the internet these days!  Still though, the fact he is still alive at 92 lends some credence to my belief about keeping carbs low.  The lst time I saw him in an interview, he may have looked his age, but his demeanor and mental clarity was a sharp as a tack!

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Show me some credible PEER-REVIEWED science-based information that proves dietary fats have anything to do with insulin resistance!  That notion is without any science to back it up.

All of the credible research over the last decade CLEARLY proves a link between excessive carbohydrate consumption and insulin resistance, not dietary fats.  You really need to join the 21st century of science instead of relying on misinformation, half truths and outright nutritional myths.

Edited by WaveHunter

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Actually it arose from the excessive carbs, in junk food and added sugar + the so-called healthy carbs (in fruit and starches, not veggies) + the lack of exercise. Fact is, they're insulin resistant now.

Just your view again, get fat on fat good chance you'll be insulin resistant eventually

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Show me some credible PEER-REVIEWED science-based information that proves dietary fats have anything to do with insulin resistance!  That notion is without any science to back it up.

All of the credible research over the last decade CLEARLY proves a link between excessive carbohydrate consumption and insulin resistance, not dietary fats.  You really need to join the 21st century of science instead of relying on misinformation, half truths and outright nutritional myths.

Plenty of people live healthy lives on high carb with low blood sugar and good HbA1c. Search yourself and you'll find it

Just now, WaveHunter said:

What really kills me is that the standard treatment by doctors for diabetics type 2 is still insulin injections!  The American Diabetes Association still advises that Diabetes type 2 is an incurable disease and that insulin injections is the only viable treatment.  When the head of the Association was queried in an televised interview several years back about the possible connection between carbs and Diabetes, and the research that showed improvement by drastically cutting carbs, he became indignant and walked off set refusing to address the question.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Plenty of people live healthy lives on high carb with low blood sugar and good HbA1c. Search yourself and you'll find it

...and plenty of people are diagnosed with Diabetes-type 2 a a result of excessive carbs.  What you are saying is like saying that plenty of people smoke cigarettes all of their lives and don't get lung cancer (which is true).  That does not prove that cigarettes are not strongly related to lung cancer.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just your view again, get fat on fat good chance you'll be insulin resistant eventually

That is such a horrible myth that eating fat cause you to be fat.  Again, show some credible scientific proof of that if you're going to make such a claim.  The simple truth is that there is none; only unfounded beliefs that such a link exists. 

Dietary fats are an essential macronutrient.  Without fats in your diet, you will die.  Same is true of dietary proteins.  The only macronutrient that is not considered essential is carbohydrates, and carbohydrates are the only macronutrient for which there is a STRONG AND COMPELLING link with metabolic diseases such as Diabetes Type 2. 

No such credible links exists between dietary fats and metabolic diseases...only the seemingly logical but totally unfounded myth that "eating fat makes you fat"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

What really kills me is that the standard treatment by doctors for diabetics type 2 is still insulin injections!  The American Diabetes Association still advises that Diabetes type 2 is an incurable disease and that insulin injections is the only viable treatment.  When the head of the Association was queried in an televised interview several years back about the possible connection between carbs and Diabetes, and the research that showed improvement by drastically cutting carbs, he became indignant and walked off set refusing to address the question.

It seems losing weight by different methods can reverse diabetes including high carb low fat diet. If you want to read more look into Dr John McDougall he treats thousands of patients HCLF but i know it isn't your religion nor bigstar so you just dismiss it

10 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

...and plenty of people are diagnosed with Diabetes-type 2 a a result of excessive carbs.  What you are saying is like saying that plenty of people smoke cigarettes all of their lives and don't get lung cancer (which is true).  That does not prove that cigarettes are not strongly related to lung cancer.

You're getting mixed up again, they are getting type 2 due to the rich western diet not specifically carbs, people eat HCLF perfectly healthily, but you don't understand that

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

So true!  People need to stop believing that obesity and associated metabolic diseases are simply the result of too many calories.  Science over the last decade has clearly proven that diets based only on caloric restriction do not work in the long run.  I mean, caloric restriction diets have been around for over 100 years.  If they actually worked we would not have an obesity epidemic today.  People need to think about that.

The basis for obesity and associated metabolic diseases like Diabetes type 2 is due to a hormonal imbalances caused by insulin insensitivity, not simply too many calories.

Too many carbohydrates lead to insulin resistance, which in turn leads to overeating.  Excessive caloric consumption is a "symptom" of obesity, not the cause.  Excessive carbohydrates are the root cause.  All of the credible scientific research of the last decade makes that crystal clear, and yet many people (even many doctors) still cling to unfounded and outdated nutritional myths to the contrary.

People should just consider that today there is not only an epidemic of obesity, but also one of Diabetes type 2, and even more shocking, for the first time in history there is now an epidemic of Diabetes type 2 in children, when only a few decades ago, Diabetes type 2 was almost unheard of in children!

The writing is on the wall!  It's time to rethink things.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That is such a horrible myth that eating fat cause you to be fat.  Again, show some credible scientific proof of that if you're going to make such a claim.  The simple truth is that there is none; only unfounded beliefs that such a link exists. 

Dietary fats are an essential macronutrient.  Without fats in your diet, you will die.  Same is true of dietary proteins.  The only macronutrient that is not considered essential is carbohydrates, and carbohydrates are the only macronutrient for which there is a STRONG AND COMPELLING link with metabolic diseases such as Diabetes Type 2. 

No such credible links exists between dietary fats and metabolic diseases...only the seemingly logical but totally unfounded myth that "eating fat makes you fat"

One single question, what is the problem with balanced diet, little bit of everything? I'm not talking about sugar, not processed food, but healthy seasonal food! 

I know the challenge when it comes to discipline among most people and the reasons why people fail, but if you have discipline to follow one rigid diet, you should manage a balanced diet to? 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:51 AM, eezergood said:

Its not magic, you simply eat less than normal

Completely incorrect.

OMAD is simply eating 1 meal a day, there is no going into calorie count etc.
just like IF is intermitant fasting
neither are starving you or calorie deficient (unless you want them to be)
or eat this not that, they just refer to the eating window, not a diet itself

i have done OMAD eating 10,000 calories a day.

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

One single question, what is the problem with balanced diet, little bit of everything? I'm not talking about sugar, not processed food, but healthy seasonal food! 

I know the challenge when it comes to discipline among most people and the reasons why people fail, but if you have discipline to follow one rigid diet, you should manage a balanced diet to? 

The problem is when people say "healthy food" and "balanced diet"
these are terms that have been given to us with prerequisites of certain foods being included

Also there is a huge difference in discipline with diets
if you need discipline it means you are craving
if you switch to keto/carnivore, you DON'T crave
i will type it again for those at the back, you DON'T crave
hunger just goes right out the window, you soon find yourself going a full day without even thinking about food
then you go make sure to make for it at the mookata lol

Edited by patman30

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That should work fine but if overweight it's not working, plus do the usual blood tests

On 11/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, WaveHunter said:

In the end, A CARB IS A CARB.  Heavily processed carbs like junk food simply contain concentrated amounts of carbohydrates, but excessive carbohydrates in the diet, no matter whether they are natural or processed are still going to cause long-term health issues.

i gain weight/fat from eating carbs
does not matter where the carbs come from
i ate "healthy" for years, no junk food
nothing works but keto/carnivore

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

That should work fine but if overweight it's not working, plus do the usual blood tests

If overweight it is okay to do temporary diets like Omad or keto, and then adjust your balanced diet. 

And it is not really that hard to know basis food that in combination is healthy no matter what official health guidelines says. 

Mediterranean and Icelandic diet is healthy diets, and most know what they should not eat to much of, or not eat at all, but when people get fixated they get single minded and can not think clear anymore. 

I did keto 3 months, and it made me able to change my orign diet to something better and long lasting balanced diet. 

Eating eggs, fish, clean meat with fat, vegetables, healthy oils, little fruit, oat, plain youghurt, variation of nuts, coffe, alot of water,,,,,,, no additional sugar, sweetener, pops, little alcohol, no nicotine, ,,,,,,,,,

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If overweight it is okay to do temporary diets like Omad or keto, and then adjust your balanced diet. 

And it is not really that hard to know basis food that in combination is healthy no matter what official health guidelines says. 

Mediterranean and Icelandic diet is healthy diets, and most know what they should not eat to much of, or not eat at all, but when people get fixated they get single minded and can not think clear anymore. 

I did keto 3 months, and it made me able to change my orign diet to something better and long lasting balanced diet. 

Eating eggs, fish, clean meat with fat, vegetables, healthy oils, little fruit, oat, plain youghurt, variation of nuts, coffe, alot of water,,,,,,, no additional sugar, sweetener, pops, little alcohol, no nicotine, ,,,,,,,,,

Whatever works if blood tests shows things are ok. I've never needed to go OMAD, keto, Atkins or any of those fashionable diets