Any one doing the OMAD diet ( One Meal a Day )

MrScratch

On 3/3/2021 at 6:41 AM, Pilotman said:

I only eat one meal a day and have done so for many many years.  No doubt my body has now adapted to it, so I doubt that there is any real dietary benefit from my eating one meal a day, but I do feel better with 23 odd hours between meals.  if I do try to eat, say breakfast, or lunch, however light,  I feel terrible. slow and lethargic. I would not recommend this way of eating to anyone, but it is okay for me. One real benefit in dietary terms is that it makes losing weight easy, as all I have to do is cut down on one meal, if only slightly, and the weight drops off quickly. 

Does it involve no alcohol as well?

On 12/26/2021 at 1:48 AM, WaveHunter said:

Spreading one meal a day into three separate meals defeats the main benefit of OMAD, which is to control insulin levels. 

OMAD is NOT about caloric restriction; it all about insulin restriction.  The whole idea behind OMAD is to allow your body to use up glycogen stores to the point that insulin levels stabilize at low levels, and there is only one spike in insulin per day (just shy of when glycogen is about depleted.  3 meals per day will not allow that to happen.

Also to note:  OMAD is a very natural and healthy way to eat (unless of course you are cramming the equivalent of 3 meals into your one meal per day. 

Most people easily adapt to OMAD in a week or two, and unless you are an extreme athlete, your body can derive all the energy it needs in terms of stored glycogen for at least 18 hours, and this can be a healthy long-term nutrition strategy (i.e.: not just as a weight loss diet).

The other reason OMAD is great is because if you actually deplete glycogen totally (i.e.: active athlete who limits OMAD to a 2 hour window), you force your metabolism into gluconeogenesis where the body starts to scavenge protein to convert into glucose, that is actually a good thing, not a bad thing! 

Contrary to what most people intuitively believe, entering into gluconeogenesis does NOT mean you are "burning" muscle when this happens.  Essential proteins associated with the primary mover muscles and the heart are spared in favor of "junky" dysfunctional, or misfolded intracellular proteins that naturally accumulate within the cell as we age, and that is a very good thing to have happen! Google "autophagy" to understand this process.

Of course, it goes without saying, that any major nutritional change you make should be preceded by a consultation with a physician and a basic metabolic panel of blood tests.

I guess our body adopt easily to any diet if necessary! Of course not fast food, <deleted> food or processed food, but seasonal food we have been consuming for 1000's of years. That's why our body is good at storing energy for seasons and times with less food 

Eat healthy be smart, be happy, use common sense if it's 1 time a day, or 10 times a day.

Edited by Hummin

11 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

My rational  was based on maximizing vital human energy.  As 80% of your energy is depleted digesting food.  So if your stomach is always full of food being digested, there is very little energy remaining for the body to refresh itself.

Sounds plausible except i eat all the time and have loads of energy

Yeah I went to one meal a day (lunch) about 6 months ago, this is only for during the week... weekends is a free for all, I love my BBQ and beer.

For my weekday meals I pre-cook and freeze (Pasta/casserole/stroganoff etc etc) in 400gm portions, At first I used to devour that 400gm portion, now I struggle to eat it all.

I did it for weight loss and to date am down to 83kg from 124kg... goal is 65kg.

I don't do any exercise but am on my feet at work 13hrs a day 5 days a week.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, Mark Nothing said:

I have successfully implemented the 1 meal per day regimine and am back to my ideal body weight, ailment free, and lots of energy.  On it about 5 years now.  In addition to many other adjustments.

My rational  was based on maximizing vital human energy.  As 80% of your energy is depleted digesting food.  So if your stomach is always full of food being digested, there is very little energy remaining for the body to refresh itself.

I have also conducted multiple 7 day fasts to allow the human body to reset to health and clean out the buildup of decades of self inflicted poisoning by ingesting denatured foods and water.

Congrats! ????  I've also been more or less OMAD for a while also.  IMO there is more to OMAD than just digestion-related I think.  It's really more related to changing the way your body uses food. 

If you eat 3 or more times a day, your insulin levels are always high.  Your body gets used to that, and that is not a natural state.  Over time, your body is less able to access stored body fat for energy, and that's where problems begin.  It leads to unnatural hunger signals between meals which leads to in-between meal snacking, and pretty soon you are a slippery slope of increased body fat.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no reason that as you age, increased body fat should be a  consequence.  That is an unfounded myth. People don't get fat as they age simply because they eat too much.  They get fat as they age because they lose the ability to access stored body fat efficiently.

The body is meant to deplete stored glycogen so that it can maintain its' ability to access stored body fat EFFICIENTLY, and metabolically it can not do that when insulin levels are always high.

I'm obviously oversimplifying this process, but if you choose to explore the science behind it, it all starts to make a lot of sense.

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The biggest problem most people have in understanding OMAD is that it is NOT a diet; it is a lifestyle based on proven metabolic science.  It is not a rigid doctrine either.  It is simply embracing the idea that the human body is not meant to constantly be in a fully fed state.  Glycogen absolutely needs to be depleted through the day in order for the body's fat-burning mechanisms to work optimally.

The closest adage that really fits in describing OMAD is "Don;t eat unless you feel hungry".  But that means TRULY hungry.  If you are always in a fed state, the hunger signals your brain receives are not natural ones because always being in a fed state (i.e.: elevated insulin levels) also prevents the body from efficiently using stored body fat as fuel.

What OMAD does is adapt your body to efficiently switching from fueling your body with glycogen to fueling it with stored body fat.  So, it is not a "diet".  Instead it is the means to never have to go on a "diet" in the first place.

That's still a diet system if I'm not wrong, but discussing that is unnecessary. If it works for people, and they feel satisfied I'm sure it will not hurt anyone who is motivated. The most important things is to stay hydrated.

As long you have  body fat, for people with little body fat it is maybe not a good system. Because we also store vitamins there.

You are vitamin d defiency right?

On 10/22/2022 at 11:24 PM, Hummin said:

I guess our body adopt easily to any diet if necessary! Of course not fast food, <deleted> food or processed food, but seasonal food we have been consuming for 1000's of years. That's why our body is good at storing energy for seasons and times with less food 

Eat healthy be smart, be happy, use common sense if it's 1 time a day, or 10 times a day.

The biggest problem most people have in understanding OMAD is that it is NOT a diet; it is a lifestyle based on proven metabolic science.  It is not a rigid doctrine either.  It is simply embracing the idea that the human body is not meant to constantly be in a fully fed state.  Glycogen absolutely needs to be depleted through the day in order for the body's fat-burning mechanisms to work optimally.

The human body is NOT designed to always be in a fed state!  If it is, over time, it loses the ability to burn stored body fat.  There is a huge myth that getting fat is just part of getting old, and it is not true!  People get fat as they age, because they are always in a fed state, and that leads to the body losing its' ability to efficiently burn stored body fat.

What OMAD does is adapt your body to be able to efficiently switch from fueling your body with glycogen to fueling it with stored body fat. 

When you first try OMAD, your body will fight you since it always wants to be ina. state of homeostasis, even when it is counterproductive, but give it a few days to get used to the "new normal" and those unnatural states of hunger will disappear quickly

So, it is not a "diet" at all. Rather, it is the way for you to NEVER have to go on a diet in the first place.

29 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

really?

I'm not sure, heard experts say it's bad for you

There will always be "experts" who disagree with newly explored areas of science.  You really need to google the actual scientific facts as best you can...and then decide for yourself what makes sense, rather than accept some "expert's opinion, simply because he is an "expert"

28 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The human body is NOT designed to always be in a fed state!  If it is, over time, it loses the ability to burn stored body fat.  There is a huge myth that getting fat is just part of getting old, and it is not true!  People get fat as they age, because they are always in a fed state, and that leads to the body losing its' ability to efficiently burn stored body fat.

What OMAD does is adapt your body to be able to efficiently switch from fueling your body with glycogen to fueling it with stored body fat. 

When you first try OMAD, your body will fight you since it always wants to be ina. state of homeostasis, even when it is counterproductive, but give it a few days to get used to the "new normal" and those unnatural states of hunger will disappear quickly

So, it is not a "diet" at all. Rather, it is the way for you to NEVER have to go on a diet in the first place.

If you do not understand DIET meaning, them you should be careful telling other people do not understand what OMAD is ???? Please 

As many things we are related to in daily life, we can agree experts do not agree about OMAD is healthy or not. 

Omad and many other popular trendy diet systems will work temporarily, but lifelong restricted diets I do not believe in. 

A healthy balanced diet kills any other restricted diets if you are a normal healthy person. If you have health problems a restricted diet can be a good temporary solution until you fix your problems. 

If serious health problems, restricted diets can be the only solution. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That's still a diet system if I'm not wrong, but discussing that is unnecessary. If it works for people, and they feel satisfied I'm sure it will not hurt anyone who is motivated. The most important things is to stay hydrated.

As long you have  body fat, for people with little body fat it is maybe not a good system. Because we also store vitamins there.

You are vitamin d defiency right?

OMAD and starvation are completely unrelated.  You can get all the nutrition and calories you need in one single meal a day.  OMAD is not at all about caloric-restriction.  it is simply about optimizing how our bodies are able to fuel themselves.

It's very simple actually...if your body is always in a fed state, meaning that glycogen does not significantly fall between meals, then the body's ability to access stored body fat as fuel can not be optimal.  Worse yet, it can lead to insulin insensitivity associated with people who are always in a fed state.

Again, I say...it is NOT a weight loss diet, though some misinformed people choose to see it that way.  It is NOT about shedding a few pounds for reasons of vanity.  It is about maintaining optimal metabolic health and not falling prey to diseases of old age, many of which are proving to have a metabolic-based etiology.

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

OMAD and starvation are completely unrelated.  You can get all the nutrition and calories you need in one single meal a day.  OMAD is not at all about caloric-restriction.  it is simply about optimizing how our bodies are able to fuel themselves.

It's very simple actually...if your body is always in a fed state, meaning that glycogen does not significantly fall between meals, then the body's ability to access stored body fat as fuel can not be optimal.  Worse yet, it can lead to insulin insensitivity associated with people who are always in a fed state.

Again, I say...it is NOT a weight loss diet, though some misinformed people choose to see it that way.  It is NOT about shedding a few pounds for reasons of vanity.  It is about maintaining optimal metabolic health and not falling prey to diseases of old age, many of which are proving to have a metabolic-based etiology.

I understand what it is, and my point is, when you reach a point,  because you will loose body fat, and with body fat stored energy and nutrients. It will not be beneficial anymore. 

of course, if you sit all day long, do not work,do not work out, or study and use very little energy, it can be sustainable for long periods at a time. 

What many nutrients experts do recommend is to do Omad a few days a week, and eat normal rest of the week in a 8 hours window which is for most perfect. 

A restricted diet can be time restricted, calorie restricted, calorie surpluss, calorie limited, and all the other restrictions no meat, only meat, etc. Often wen people digg in to a new diet system, some of them become religious and feel the need to convince others, this is what going to solve your problems, and just want listening to others, claming we do not understand, ,,,,,,, guess what we heard it before, and not going to be last time. 

I asked you about your vitamin d deficiency, how is that working out with omad? 

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you do not understand DIET meaning, them you should be careful telling other people do not understand what OMAD is ???? Please 

As many things we are related to in daily life, we can agree experts do not agree about OMAD is healthy or not. 

Omad and many other popular trendy diet systems will work temporarily, but lifelong restricted diets I do not believe in. 

A healthy balanced diet kills any other restricted diets if you are a normal healthy person. If you have health problems a restricted diet can be a good temporary solution until you fix your problems. 

If serious health problems, restricted diets can be the only solution. 

With all due respect, you are missing my point completely.  I am NOT discussing fad diets.  I am discussing metabolic science.  When you speak of a "healthy balanced diet", just who is that is defining what that is?  In case you haven't figured it out, nobody really knows! That's because serious science-based inquiry into this question has only begun to evolve in the last few years.

Many of the myths that were accepted as gospel truth like "breakfast is the most important meal of the day", or the notion that 3 square meals a day" are necessary for optimal metabolic health have absolutely no scientific basis to support them at all!

Cutting edge clinical studies in the last few years of insulin sensitivity related to carbohydrates, and resultant metabolic response paint a picture that is far different than what was believed less than a decade ago, and the frequency of meals throughout a day is central to that.

Again, like I haven't said it enough...OMAD IS NOT A DIET except in the mind of uninformed people.  It has nothing to do with a weight loss strategy.  It is simply a strategy that allows the body to access stored body fat and use it as an alternate fuel in the most efficient way .  THAT is the goal for me, and for anyone who truly understands the science behind it.

There is NOTHING unhealthy about eating only once a day.  I am over 50 now and have been eating this way for a couple of decades now.  I feel fine, I have all the energy I need throughout the day for a sense of well-being not to mention daily training for triathlon pursuits.  My blood panels done quarterly are always spot on, so personally speaking OMAD has no negative effects for me that I am aware of, and I can say unequivocally, I start and end each day with a type of energy and enthusiasm I never felt when I was uncaring about having a nutritional strategy based on science instead of myth.

People get so bent out of shape about whether a nutritional strategy is safe or dangerous.  My response to that is "GIVE ME A BREAK!"  If you simply let your body communicate with you, you'll know if something is good or bad for you.  It has the ability to do that brilliantly and certainly a lot better than any pontificating, so-called "expert" !  

Do I know for certain that my personal strategy for health is ideal?  No!  Of course not.  The Metabolic Sciences are an evolving area of research.  Nobody know for sure what is ideal in terms of nutrition.  So, what do we do?  Do we just say, "Well until they know for sure, I will do nothing but follow unfounded myths?  I say No!  I say, it's up to every person who cares about staying healthy and happy into old age to do your due diligence and learn what you can about the ongoing research...and then decide FOR YOURSELF and have the courage to live by your convictions.

That's it!  That's my plan of action.  I'm not much for debating topics like this, or trying to convince others I am right, or have them try to convince me that I am wrong.  I'm just speaking my piece so that others that are on the fence wondering which way to lean have some encouragement to google teh current research as best they can and then JUST THINK FOR THEMSELVES! instead of taking the easy way, relying on outdated myths or opinions of a single so-called expert who likes to pontificate but doesn't really have the answers anymore than the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I understand what it is, and my point is, when you reach a point,  because you will loose body fat, and with body fat stored energy and nutrients. It will not be beneficial anymore. 

of course, if you sit all day long, do not work,do not work out, or study and use very little energy, it can be sustainable for long periods at a time. 

What many nutrients experts do recommend is to do Omad a few days a week, and eat normal rest of the week in a 8 hours window which is for most perfect. 

A restricted diet can be time restricted, calorie restricted, calorie surpluss, calorie limited, and all the other restrictions no meat, only meat, etc. Often wen people digg in to a new diet system, some of them become religious and feel the need to convince others, this is what going to solve your problems, and just want listening to others, claming we do not understand, ,,,,,,, guess what we heard it before, and not going to be last time. 

I asked you about your vitamin d deficiency, how is that working out with omad? 

Last words from me but you really need to learn more about the metabolic sciences before you make such unfounded remarks.  I have been eating one single meal per day for decades.  I am an "extreme" athlete even going into my 50's now, running 5k per day, swimming 1600 meters per day, and mountain biking on the weekends.  I have blood panels 4 times a year and they are ALWAYS spot on.  I maintain a healthy body fat percentage that does not vary at all...and all on one meal a day.  I am not the only person that lives like this.

I do not micro-manage my nutrition or my exercise the way you discuss.  I don't use these silly terms that flood out over YouTube like intermittent fasting, the 16/8 method, 2 day on 5 day off, or any of the other terms invented by health gurus who are trying to sell books.  Like I said before, I let my own body tell me what is good for it and what is not.  It knows far better than some so-called expert, or me for that matter!

I immerse myself in the metabolic sciences because I love learning about the research, but I let my body tell me what is right and what is not.  I love how I feel eating once a day, and I can't say that at all about how I felt before I started doing that.  I fast (water only) for 5 days, four times a year for "autophagy", and all of that is just how I choose to live my life.

As for the Vitamin-D you keep mentioning, I am fine.  Thanks for asking.  I was fine from the day I started to supplement, and continue to do so.  10,000iU per day.  Fact is I never felt any effects from the deficiency ever.  It just turned up when I had my first blood panel back when I started having them and was promptly corrected by the next panel 3 months later.

I hope you took none of what I said as mean spirited or confrontational.  I'm not out to convert people to my way of thinking.  Far from it since I hate when people do that to me.  My only reason in posting here is to SHARE the knowledge I've gained from a lot of time reading about the metabolic sciences that's resulting in too many notebooks to even count now LOL, and, most importantly, just to encourage people to do the same hard work of googling for science based information (not third-party interpretations of it) and then, as best as you can, make up your OWN mind what you think is right and what is not.

Kind regards ????

Edited by WaveHunter

19 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

With all due respect, you are missing my point completely.  I am NOT discussing fad diets.  I am discussing metabolic science.  When you speak of a "healthy balanced diet", just who is that is defining what that is?  In case you haven't figured it out, nobody really knows! That's because serious science-based inquiry into this question has only begun to evolve in the last few years.

Many of the myths that were accepted as gospel truth like "breakfast is the most important meal of the day", or the notion that 3 square meals a day" are necessary for optimal metabolic health have absolutely no scientific basis to support them at all!

Cutting edge clinical studies in the last few years of insulin sensitivity related to carbohydrates, and resultant metabolic response paint a picture that is far different than what was believed less than a decade ago, and the frequency of meals throughout a day is central to that.

Again, like I haven't said it enough...OMAD IS NOT A DIET except in the mind of uninformed people.  It has nothing to do with a weight loss strategy.  It is simply a strategy that allows the body to access stored body fat and use it as an alternate fuel in the most efficient way .  THAT is the goal for me, and for anyone who truly understands the science behind it.

There is NOTHING unhealthy about eating only once a day.  I am over 50 now and have been eating this way for a couple of decades now.  I feel fine, I have all the energy I need throughout the day for a sense of well-being not to mention daily training for triathlon pursuits.  My blood panels done quarterly are always spot on, so personally speaking OMAD has no negative effects for me that I am aware of, and I can say unequivocally, I start and end each day with a type of energy and enthusiasm I never felt when I was uncaring about having a nutritional strategy based on science instead of myth.

People get so bent out of shape about whether a nutritional strategy is safe or dangerous.  My response to that is "GIVE ME A BREAK!"  If you simply let your body communicate with you, you'll know if something is good or bad for you.  It has the ability to do that brilliantly and certainly a lot better than any pontificating, so-called "expert" !  

Do I know for certain that my personal strategy for health is ideal?  No!  Of course not.  The Metabolic Sciences are an evolving area of research.  Nobody know for sure what is ideal in terms of nutrition.  So, what do we do?  Do we just say, "Well until they know for sure, I will do nothing but follow unfounded myths?  I say No!  I say, it's up to every person who cares about staying healthy and happy into old age to do your due diligence and learn what you can about the ongoing research...and then decide FOR YOURSELF and have the courage to live by your convictions.

That's it!  That's my plan of action.  I'm not much for debating topics like this, or trying to convince others I am right, or have them try to convince me that I am wrong.  I'm just speaking my piece so that others that are on the fence wondering which way to lean have some encouragement to google teh current research as best they can and then JUST THINK FOR THEMSELVES! instead of taking the easy way, relying on outdated myths or opinions of a single so-called expert who likes to pontificate but doesn't really have the answers anymore than the rest of us.

I had to skip everything after your statement about breakfast.

When people worked, and I mean worked used their bodies and mind, breakfast was essential. For kids who is growing and using their energy to develop skills and essential motoric strengt and memory, need a well structured diet, as well elderly sick people. People who is under rehabilitation from illness, need a structured diet. I agree some could benefit from different diets as diabetics, and people who are allergic. 

Nobody who live a healthy life with healthy nutrition will ever ever need to take on a complicated diet fasting 23 hours a day! 

There is so much social and cultural in enjoying normal schedule for family and society that outweighs the benefits of joining such a limited diet as omad! 

Simple as that

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Last words from me but you really need to learn more about the metabolic sciences before you make such unfounded remarks.  I have been eating one single meal per day for decades.  I am an "extreme" athlete even going into my 50's now, running 5k per day, swimming 1600 meters per day, and mountain biking on the weekends.  I have blood panels 4 times a year and they are ALWAYS spot on.  I maintain a healthy body fat percentage that does not vary at all...and all on one meal a day.  I am not the only person that lives like this.

I do not micro-manage my nutrition or my exercise the way you discuss.  I don't use these silly terms that flood out over YouTube like intermittent fasting, the 16/8 method, 2 day on 5 day off, or any of the other terms invented by health gurus who are trying to sell books.  Like I said before, I let my own body tell me what is good for it and what is not.  It knows far better than some so-called expert, or me for that matter!

I immerse myself in the metabolic sciences because I love learning about the research, but I let my body tell me what is right and what is not.  I love how I feel eating once a day, and I can't say that at all about how I felt before I started doing that.  I fast (water only) for 5 days, four times a year for "autophagy", and all of that is just how I choose to live my life.

As for the Vitamin-D you keep mentioning, I am fine.  Thanks for asking.  I was fine from the day I started to supplement, and continue to do so.  10,000iU per day.  Fact is I never felt any effects from the deficiency ever.  It just turned up when I had my first blood panel back when I started having them and was promptly corrected by the next panel 3 months later.

I hope you took none of what I said as mean spirited or confrontational.  I'm not out to convert people to my way of thinking.  Far from it since I hate when people do that to me.  My only reason in posting here is to SHARE the knowledge I've gained from a lot of time reading about the metabolic sciences that's resulting in too many notebooks to even count now LOL, and, most importantly, just to encourage people to do the same hard work of googling for science based information (not third-party interpretations of it) and then, as best as you can, make up your OWN mind what you think is right and what is not.

Kind regards ????

Well, just saying, when you have to supply 10k IU every day, you are far from fine. 

Good luck, you proved my point, as long you believe in it, good for you. I would never ever be so curtain about anything in life as you are, but if it works for you, great! Just do not convince everybody about this is the way to go without critical thinking and advising.

First of all, Diet means what we eat, no matter it is a restricted or special food. Simple as that! 

This nutrition dr sums it up very well in a short informative video most have time to watch in double speed, what I personally think about one meal a day long term diet. 

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

Well, just saying, when you have to supply 10k IU every day, you are far from fine. 

Good luck, you proved my point, as long you believe in it, good for you. I would never ever be so curtain about anything in life as you are, but if it works for you, great! Just do not convince everybody about this is the way to go without critical thinking and advising.

What I said does NOT prove your point at all!  You obviously do not do not read my posts carefully.  I am talking about the difference between pseudoscience and genuine science! 

If you are going to criticize my remarks about metabolic science topics, perhaps you should be more well-read on the current science-based research, and I don't mean by following a few YouTube health gurus and watching TedTalks where so-called "experts cherry pick only facts and half-truths from legitimate research that support their own (often biased) narratives.

The current research in the metabolic sciences is very complex and constantly in a state of flux.  Yet many so called online experts like to simplify it all and paint a simplified picture that is often heavily biased to fit their own narrative.   When you only rely on them, you are doomed to making very poor lifestyle choices for yourself.

I do not try to "convince everybody" to adopt my own strategies on these topics at all! That criticism insults me greatly because that is the single thing that infuriates me about all of the YouTube gurus that do that simply for self-serving reasons!

I try to convince people to NOT accept third-party interpretations of scientific research by guru-types or so-called experts, and instead spend time googling the research FOR THEMSELVES, not only research that supports their beliefs, but research that contradicts it as well, and not just doing that for a few sources, but spend time exploring MANY DIFFERENCE sources, so that you get an in-depth understanding of the topic. 

With complex topics such as this, there very rarely are 100% science based facts to go by so you have to look at many different sources before you can form YOUR OWN opinion.  THAT IS WHAT I TRY TO CONVINCE PEOPLE TO DO...TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES, and not just accept a so-called expert's opinions that sound like they have the definitive answer...because there often is no definitive answer!

It's hard work and you have to love the topics you explore or you'll never have the patience to do it...BUT that is the only way you can decide for yourself what is right and what is not.

It's a lot of work and most people are unwilling to take that approach since it's simpler to just latch on to a single expert that makes you feel good and paints a simplistic picture of a complex topic for which there is no right answer. 

There are plenty of YouTube Gurus who make a living doing that, and if you rely on that approach you are just doomed to making very poor lifestyle choices.  NOTHING GOOD EVER COMES EASY!  DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

FYI, I take 10,000 iu as protection against Covid infection.  I selected that dosage based on A LOT of research from well vetted, science based sources.  I do not need that amount for good blood panels.  It is just "insurance" against potential Covid issues.  BTW, That amount is BY NO MEANS harmful, and Vitamin-D is dirty cheap.

Edited by WaveHunter

Just now, WaveHunter said:

REVISED

What I said does NOT prove your point at all!  You obviously do not do not read my posts carefully.  I am talking about the difference between psuedo-science and genuine science! 

If you are going to criticize my remarks about metabolic science topics, perhaps you should be more well-read on the current science-based research, and I don't mean by following a few YouTube health gurus and watching TedTalks where so-called "experts cherry pick only facts and half-truths from legitimate research that support their own (often biased) narratives.

The current research in the metabolic sciences is very complex and constantly in a state of flux.  Yet many so called online experts like to simplify it all and paint a simplified picture that is often heavily biased to fit their own narrative.   When you only rely on them, you are doomed to making very poor lifestyle choices for yourself.

I do not try to "convince everybody" to adopt my own strategies on these topics at all! That criticism insults me greatly because that is the single thing that infuriates me about all of the YouTube gurus that do that simply for self-serving reasons!

I try to convince people to NOT accept third-party interpretations of scientific research by guru-types or so-called experts, and instead spend time googling the research FOR THEMSELVES, not only research that supports their beliefs, but research that contradicts it as well, and not just doing that for a few sources, but spend time exploring MANY DIFFERENCE sources, so that you get an in-depth understanding of the topic. 

With complex topics such as this, there very rarely are 100% science based facts to go by so you have to look at many different sources before you can form YOUR OWN opinion.  THAT IS WHAT I TRY TO CONVINCE PEOPLE TO DO...TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES, and not just accept a so-called expert's opinions that sound like they have the definitive answer...because there often is no definitive answer!

It's hard work and you have to love the topics you explore or you'll never have the patience to do it...BUT that is the only way you can decide for yourself what is right and what is not.

It's a lot of work and most people are unwilling to take that approach since it's simpler to just latch on to a single expert that makes you feel good and paints a simplistic picture of a complex topic for which there is no right answer. 

There are plenty of YouTube Gurus who make a living doing that, and if you rely on that approach you are just doomed to making very poor lifestyle choices.  NOTHING GOOD EVER COMES EASY!  DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

FYI, I take 10,000 iu as protection against Covid infection.  I selected that dosage based on A LOT of research from well vetted, science based sources.  I do not need that amount for good blood panels.  It is just "insurance" against potential Covid issues.  BTW, That amount is BY NO MEANS harmful, and Vitamin-D is dirty cheap.

Why are you short on Vitamin D? lots of sun about

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why are you short on Vitamin D? lots of sun about

Love your selfie ????. I'm a big fan of Kramer, and remember that episode where that portrait was made!

That was the question I asked myself when my blood panels came back with that news.  At the time I lived in Florida and was an avid surfer, spending 3 hours a day on weekdays and all day on weekends on the water under a very intense Central Florida sun.  It turns out that in some people the human body does not produce enough Vitamin D from sunlight as many believe.

I was never deficient to the point where I had any noticeable symptoms.  I felt fine, but my doctor felt it wise to supplement which I did (and still do) and on the next blood panels 3 months later, all was good.

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Love your selfie ????. I'm a big fan of Kramer, and remember that episode where that portrait was made!

That was the question I asked myself when my blood panels came back with that news.  At the time I lived in Florida and was an avid surfer, spending 3 hours a day on weekdays and all day on weekends on the water under a very intense Central Florida sun.  It turns out that in some people the human body does not produce enough Vitamin D from sunlight as many believe.

I was never deficient to the point where I had any noticeable symptoms.  I felt fine, but my doctor felt it wise to supplement which I did (and still do) and on the next blood panels 3 months later, all was good.

yeah i heard black people can be deficient, not sure if that applies to all or variations

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

First of all, Diet means what we eat, no matter it is a restricted or special food. Simple as that! 

This nutrition dr sums it up very well in a short informative video most have time to watch in double speed, what I personally think about one meal a day long term diet. 

LOL...now you made my point for me!  If you get your information from sources like Youtube and TedTalks, all you are getting is someone else's opinion, often biased to fit their narrative, and often incentivized for self-serving purposes....A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK and Google for GENUINE 1st-hand research topics from truly science-based sources!  Google is your friend...DON'T BE LAZY...USE IT!

Edited by WaveHunter

50 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL...now you made my point for me!  If you get your information from sources like Youtube and TedTalks, all you are getting is someone else's opinion, often biased to fit their narrative, and often incentivized for self-serving purposes....A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK and Google for GENUINE 1st-hand research topics from truly science-based sources!  Google is your friend...DON'T BE LAZY...USE IT!

No need to shout, and trust me I use common sense not YouTube gurus to prove my point, and I try to find a clinical trails on long term omad. I hoped you would finely provide it. 

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

This guy is a holistic doctor running a "lifestyle changes" clinic in SIngapore.  He may be an MD, but clinics like this are suspicious to say the least.  He is certainly not a well vetted science based researcher, that's for sure!  When you look at his website, it's obvious that his YouTube videos are just a way to funnel prospective clients to his clinic!

He is EXACTLY the kind of YouTube guru I was describing so you could not have made my point better if you tried!

Nonetheless, I watched his video and it is all full of half-truths and downright misinformation!

I have been eating only one meal a day for almost twenty years now and suffer none of these effects he mentions.  What's more, I lead a VERY active lifestyle, running 5k five days a week, swimming over a mile per day, and riding mountain bikes on the weekend...and I am now in my 50's!  I am not unique either.  I know many other athletes who embrace the idea of eating only once a day, and for the same reason as I do...because it makes them better athletes, it is how your body is supposed to work metabolically, and it just feels good when you wake up in the morning fully energized and ready to greet a new day!

Just to go through his issues with OMAD:

1) I have no problem at all consuming enough calories or macronutrients (protein)

2) No issues with micronutrients, simply supplementing where necessary

3) His notion that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is pure bunk!  Research over the last few years has soundly disproven any truth to this notion!

Perhaps his half-truths might apply to dumb people who try to follow a rigid OMAD protocal promoted by YouTube gurus with stupid names my the 16/8 method or other equally rediculous names designed to get them a following on YouTube, but someone who really has studied nutrtion from a science-based perspective does not follow such protocols AT ALL!

I eat one meal a day.  It is as simple as that.  No fancy sounding names, no specific timing of the meal.  Fact is, I start my one meal of the day when my work is done and I can relax.  I eat a little, take a break, and eat again a little later.  My meal may span several hours with my goal just being to enjoy eating, that's all!  I eat until I no longer feel like eating, and that's that.   

Pretty simple, huh?  I get ALL of the macro and micronutrients I need for the next 24 hours, and when glycogen levels start to run low the following day, my body easily shifts over to a fat burning metabolism which allows me to engage in my running and swimming without any problem at all. 

Of course, there are those occasional days when I just feel like being naughty, and go to McDonalds and then eat a quart of ice cream LOL!  No rules, no rigid protocols...just satisfying my body.  It talks to you, you know?  Sometimes it tells you to do stuff like that, and if you're truly smart, you listen to what your body tells you!  It knows far better than you what it really needs.

As strange as it may sound (if you do not really understand how your body works in metabolic terms) the lack of eating throughout the day actually makes my body MORE efficient at using stored body fat as an efficient fuel source when glycogen levels become low.  ow this happens is to complex to describe here, but is has all been thoroughly studied in peer-reviewed studies, including one researcher who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 2016, Dr. Yoshinori Ohsumi.

You can listen to these fake gurus to get all of your information if you like, but I prefer to educate myself by sourcing GENUINE, well vetted, and purely 1st hand, science-based information in order to decide what is a good plan of action for ME.  Am I guaranteed it is correct?  Of course not!  Is it worth trying anyway?  I would say YES!

I spend months meticulously studying a metabolic science topic before implementing it on myself, not just watching a few arbitrary YouTube videos.  I use Google to comb through past and current research, not just from sources that support my beliefs but sources that contradict them as well. Is it as quick and easy as listening to some fake guru on YouTube?  No!  Is it worth the effort? YES, ABSOLUTELY!

On the topic of nutrition alone, I now have well over 40 notebooks filled with notes!  Don't believe me?  Take a look!

328129348_ScreenShot2022-10-26at2_00_05PM.thumb.jpg.cabb79320ea3a4400d94195cd4884b16.jpg

All of these notes are from WELL VETTED, science based sources, and that gives me the confidence to basically bio-hack these ideas to see FOR REAL whether they work for me or they do not, and one meal a day works for me, and it works for a lot of others as well, especially athletes looking for ways to optimize their performance.

Edited by WaveHunter

25 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

This guy is a holistic doctor running a "lifestyle changes" clinic in SIngapore.  He may be an MD, but clinics like this are suspicious to say the least.  He is certainly not a well vetted science based researcher, that's for sure!  When you look at his website, it's obvious that his YouTube videos are just a way to funnel prospective clients to his clinic!

He is EXACTLY the kind of YouTube guru I was describing so you could not have made my point better if you tried!

Nonetheless, I watched his video and it is all full of half-truths and downright misinformation!

I have been eating only one meal a day for almost twenty years now and suffer none of these effects he mentions.  What's more, I lead a VERY active lifestyle, running 5k five days a week, swimming over a mile per day, and riding mountain bikes on the weekend...and I am now in my 50's!  I am not unique either.  I know many other athletes who embrace the idea of eating only once a day, and for the same reason as I do...because it makes them better athletes, it is how your body is supposed to work metabolically, and it just feels good when you wake up in the morning fully energized and ready to greet a new day!

Just to go through his issues with OMAD:

1) I have no problem at all consuming enough calories or macronutrients (protein)

2) No issues with micronutrients, simply supplementing where necessary

3) His notion that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is pure bunk!  Research over the last few years has soundly disproven any truth to this notion!

Perhaps his half-truths might apply to dumb people who try to follow a rigid OMAD protocal promoted by YouTube gurus with stupid names my the 16/8 method or other equally rediculous names designed to get them a following on YouTube, but someone who really has studied nutrtion from a science-based perspective does not follow such protocols AT ALL!

I eat one meal a day.  It is as simple as that.  No fancy sounding names, no specific timing of the meal.  Fact is, I start my one meal of the day when my work is done and I can relax.  I eat a little, take a break, and eat again a little later.  My meal may span several hours with my goal just being to enjoy eating, that's all!  I eat until I no longer feel like eating, and that's that. 

Pretty simple, huh?  I get ALL of the macro and micronutrients I need for the next 24 hours, and when glycogen levels start to run low the following day, my body easily shifts over to a fat burning metabolism which allows me to engage in my running and swimming without any problem at all. 

As strange as it may sound (if you do not really understand how your body works in metabolic terms) the lack of eating throughout the day actually makes my body MORE efficient at using stored body fat as an efficient fuel source when glycogen levels become low.  ow this happens is to complex to describe here, but is has all been thoroughly studied in peer-reviewed studies, including one researcher who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 2016, Dr. Yoshinori Ohsumi.

You can listen to these fake gurus to get all of your information if you like, but I prefer to educate myself by sourcing GENUINE, well vetted, and purely 1st hand, science-based information in order to decide what is a good plan of action for ME.  Am I guaranteed it is correct?  Of course not!  Is it worth trying anyway?  I would say YES!

I spend months meticulously studying a metabolic science topic before implementing it on myself, not just watching a few arbitrary YouTube videos.  I use Google to comb through past and current research, not just from sources that support my beliefs but sources that contradict them as well. Is it as quick and easy as listening to some fake guru on YouTube?  No!  Is it worth the effort? YES, ABSOLUTELY!

On the topic of nutrition alone, I now have well over 40 notebooks filled with notes!  Don't believe me?  Take a look!

328129348_ScreenShot2022-10-26at2_00_05PM.thumb.jpg.cabb79320ea3a4400d94195cd4884b16.jpg

All of these notes are from WELL VETTED, science based sources, and that gives me the confidence to basically bio-hack these ideas to see FOR REAL whether they work for me or they do not, and one meal a day works for me, and it works for a lot of others as well, especially athletes looking for ways to optimize their performance.

I hear you laud and clear, and his point was a clear reference to what I believe. Nothing more nothing less. Seems you do not read what i wrote previously. I do not believe this is a good diet system even you loud and clear many time deny it a diet system or call it regime. 

what I have said it can be a good temporary fix but not long tem because the evidences you are talking about I can not find, and you have not provided it to me. 

You continue calling me out as stupid, I can live happily with that after reading your posts. Have a nice day and good luck.

Just provide me one clinical trail and ideal with a control study as well. 

54 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No need to shout, and trust me I use common sense not YouTube gurus to prove my point, and I try to find a clinical trails on long term omad. I hoped you would finely provide it. 

I can not show you a single study that will prove what I believe to be true  There is no single study that is compelling enough to account for why I believe what I believe.  What I believe is based on reading hundreds of studies and forming opinions of what seems to make sense and what does not.   

If you're passionate enough to REALLY want to find answers, you have to put forth the effort on your own.  It's the only way it will be relevant to you.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to convert anyway to MY views on these topics; only to put in the effort so that they can intelligently decide for themselves, and not just resign themselves in believing what some guru tells them is so.

57 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I hear you laud and clear, and his point was a clear reference to what I believe. Nothing more nothing less. Seems you do not read what i wrote previously. I do not believe this is a good diet system even you loud and clear many time deny it a diet system or call it regime. 

what I have said it can be a good temporary fix but not long tem because the evidences you are talking about I can not find, and you have not provided it to me. 

You continue calling me out as stupid, I can live happily with that after reading your posts. Have a nice day and good luck.

Just provide me one clinical trail and ideal with a control study as well. 

First of all, I never called you stupid.  I may think you are playing the "devil's advocate" since you do not acknowledge any specific points I make (i.e.: that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is soundly disproven bunk), or my mention of the studies of a Nobel Prize winner, which you could easily Google to find out more. These were all "clues" to help readers have things to Google to learn more without me providing what might be considered biased links to support my own beliefs.

I can not spoon-feed you the studies that make me believe in this.  There is no single study that I base my beliefs on.  I read literally hundreds of research studies (both pro and con) to form an idea about one meal a day eating, but the real proof to me was trying it out on myself after I read everything I could get my hands on.  THAT'S what proved it to me.  

You can Google the same way I did and find legitimate, truly science-based research studies (as opposed to third-party, biased interpretations of them) that support one-meal-a-day eating, and those that are against it. 

It's like being a juror in a court case.  If all you do is listen to one side of the story (that only supports the view you already believe in) you will never find the truth.

You have to have the passion to do the searching for yourself with an open mind, or nothing I say, nor any studies I provide will convince you one way or another.  That's all I'm saying.

I actually hate YouTube for that very reason.  It is full of fake gurus, who's only motive is to spoon-feed lazy people with half-truths and misinformation merely to line their own pockets while disingenuously pretending to be your friend who really cares about you.  Im my personal opinion, those kind of gurus are real creeps, and a total waste of one's time.

Edited by WaveHunter

28 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I can not show you a single study that will prove what I believe to be true  There is no single study that is compelling enough to account for why I believe what I believe.  What I believe is based on reading hundreds of studies and forming opinions of what seems to make sense and what does not.   

If you're passionate enough to REALLY want to find answers, you have to put forth the effort on your own.  It's the only way it will be relevant to you.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to convert anyway to MY views on these topics; only to put in the effort so that they can intelligently decide for themselves, and not just resign themselves in believing what some guru tells them is so.

I have been living a high intense life doing sports all my life, and also been hitting the gym 6 days a week in my younger days, and for me it was more convenient with 6 meals a day when putting on more mass, and metabolism was great and I even stayed lean while doing so. Now Im more 3 balanced meals a day in 8 hour window and that works great for me

Since you are a science nutrition reader this might please you, and it is more if you want me to provide to you. 

At last I will say any time and calorie restricted/balance diet system will work no matter what it is, as long your body have time to digest and absorb it. Supplies is ok for me nutrients but not everything. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6520689/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6004924/

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(22)00397-7?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS1550413122003977%3Fshowall%3Dtrue#

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(22)00361-8

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

First of all, I never called you stupid.  I may think you are playing the "devil's advocate" since you do not acknowledge any specific points I make (i.e.: breakfast being the most important meal of the day is bunk), or my mention of the studies of a Nobel Prize winner, which you could easily Google to find out more.  In my posts I intentionally have left "clues" that could be googled, so you could decide for yourself and not have it seem like I am giving you biased links.

I can not spoon-feed you the studies that make me believe in this.  There is no single study that I base my beliefs on.  I read literally hundreds of research studies (both pro and con) to form an idea about one meal a day eating, but the real proof to me was trying it out on myself.  THAT'S what proved it to me.  

You can Google the same way I did and find legitimate research studies that support one-meal-a-day eating, and those that are against it.  It's like being a juror in a court case.  If all you do is listen to one side of the story, simply to support the viwew you already believe in you will never find the truth.

You have to have the passion to do the searching for yourself or nothing I say, nor any studies I provide will convince you one way or another.  That's all I'm saying.

I actually hate YouTube for that very reason.  It is full of fake gurus, who's only motive is to spoon-feed people with half-truths and misinformation merely to line their own pockets and disingenuously pretending to be your friend.  Im my personal opinion, most of them are real creeps, and a total waste of one's time.

As I mentioned earlier, it all depends on your life what you do and if you have family. For kids structured diet is important, and food is a social and cultural happening that also is an important factor for most people. 

The real enemy is what we eat and how much we eat, not breakfest lunch and dinner, or if we eat 2 times a day or 8 times day. 

I stand by my 4 points described by the medical dr, randomly picked out of many youtubers, and because of lenght and straight to the point. Never seen him before, and do not follow him.