Pink ID card

3 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Its interesting.  My license is only the 2 year temporary, and I will have it renewed (hopefully) end-July for a longer period of time.  My temporary license has no such restriction (but I did not use the pink-ID to get such). I will find out end-July, if the new license has such when I use the pink-ID.  As noted, DOT told me already, there would be no such restriction - but one never knows.

Still I confess I wonder if there could be more than 'just the pink ID' being the reason for the restrictions - although I have no valid alternate explanation.

Best not to show it, just in case.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is your passport too heavy to carry?

You need the passport too, well in Khon Kaen.

Only passport and yellow house book. Pink Foreigner card not accepted.

Edited by Neeranam

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

According to the law, the hotel must see your passport, for sure, there will be some that accept the card instead. 

The problem with this card, unlike the Thai ID card, is that the name is in Thai. Actually, for refugees/stateless people, the pink card is in English.

It surprised me Hotels would accept the ID, because to fill in an on-line TM30, one needs the Passport #.  Now I note both Pink-ID and Driver's License have one's picture, and both have the same address.  Further, driver's license has one's Passport #.  I did show both hotels both my Thai pink ID and my Driver's license, so I guess that gave them all they needed to fill in an on-line TM30 (assuming hotels do such)?   As noted, it surprised me, but they never the less accepted it.

Also (a bit off topic) - a week ago, I opened a bank account with Krungsri (here in Phuket) with the PinkID and my Yellow Book. Immigration COR was not needed.  The Bank found the Pink-ID useful, as it has my picture, with Thai spelling of my name, that matches Thai spelling of my name in the Yellow book - hence picture association with Thai name spelling was useful.  That helped them confirm Yellow Book was indeed my Yellow book.

For certain the Pink ID was NOT by any means necessary.  It simply helped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Also (a bit off topic) - a week ago, I opened a bank account with Krungsri (here in Phuket) with the PinkID and my Yellow Book. Immigration COR was not needed.  The Bank found the Pink-ID useful, as it has my picture, with Thai spelling of my name, that matches Thai spelling of my name in the Yellow book - hence picture association with Thai name spelling was useful.  That helped them confirm Yellow Book was indeed my Yellow book.

Did they not need your passport as well?

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is your passport too heavy to carry?

I lived in Thailand from 1997 to 1999 and by the end of 1999, my passport was in horrific shape, having carried it around with me every day. Further, it was an annoyance in my pocket due to its size. Not the weight - the dimensions!

The Pink ID I have today, its dimensions are far far superior.

I wish it was like the EU, where I have an EU ID card, which is accepted in lieu of one's passport (in the EU).  When traveling all around Europe (in the EU only) I never carried my passport with me. Only my EU ID.  It saved massive wear and tear on my passport. 

I am now experiencing the same ease with my Thai Pink ID. Its easy to carry, and saves massive wear and tear on my Passport.  And frankly, replacing a torn up passport, here in Thailand, is something I think i will find a major PIA.  I'm glad I won't need to do such because the ID is mostly sufficing for various activities (in lieu of the passport).

Edited by oldcpu

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Did they not need your passport as well?

I opened up both an account in Thai Baht, and a foreign currency account in Euros. They asked for the passport for the Euro account.  I don't know if they would have asked for it if only opening a Thai baht account - but I would have been surprised had they not asked for it.

My point thou for the bank (I guess I did not make it clear), was the bank accepted the "Pink-ID with the Yellow Book" in lieu of the Immigration COR, for proof of residence.

Edited by oldcpu

My point thou for the bank (I guess I did not make it clear), was the bank accepted the "Pink-ID with the Yellow Book" in lieu of the Immigration COR, for proof of residence.

Right, it is useful for proof of address, well sometimes. Actually, it is the yellow book that many ask for for proof of address. the pink ID might help once in a blue moon. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Right, it is useful for proof of address, well sometimes. Actually, it is the yellow book that many ask for for proof of address. the pink ID might help once in a blue moon. 

I guess  I have encountered many blue moons then.

• Like 1

Worth noting that the Pink Card, does apparently say, in Thai, that it can only be used in the province of issue.  That has never been a problem with me, except that Air Asia refused to accept it as proof of identity for a domestic flight from Buriram airport (province of issue)  Used it for the return journey though from Don Meuang!!!!!

Indeed it does say that.  Further it also says its NOT an ID card.  It also says one must carry it with them at all times !!   Like what ?

Honestly?  I was with the 'nay sayers' who think such a card (which according to the card is not an ID card) was a waste of time to get.  

But I already had a 'Yellow Book' and my Thai wife was chatting with a falang girlfriend, who noted she and her falang husband had obtained their Thai pink-ID cards in Phuket.  Well - that was it.  Face saving for my wife was important.   So my wife immediately marched me down to City Hall to get my Thai pink-ID (which is not an ID).   I protested a bit initially, but 20 years of marriage to my Thai wife has taught me that while I might win the argument, I might never still 'hear the end of it'. 

So I decided an hour or two at City Hall to get (or not get) the card was worth not hearing my wife remind me about a Thai ID card all the time.  ???? ....  So we went to City Hall and obtained the Pink ID card, made relatively easy to get as I already had the Yellow book.

I have to now confess (but do NOT, I repeat do NOT, under any circumstances tell my wife), that the amount of time I have saved having this Thai card, has more than saved me the time it took to procure it in the less than 6-months in which I have owned the card (in saved trips to get my Passport (because my laminated passport copy not accepted) or to get my Yellow Book) . 

Further, as noted, it has saved on-going wear and tear on my Passport (due to passport dimensions, not due to passport weight)  - where replacing one's passport while in Thailand is IMHO a PIA. 

Still, this card is definitely NOT required - but Thailand being Thailand - for me, it has been proven useful.

If it is not an ID card, does it have any real purpose?

1 minute ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It might stop one from being constantly reminded by one's wife adnausium ????

It also suffices at times (not all the time) when a laminated copy of one's passport is not accepted - and hence it saves wear and tear on one's passport. For me that alone (in addition to the time saved and keeping my wife happy) makes it worth while. 

I consider that a real purpose - but of course some may not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

It might stop one from being constantly reminded by one's wife adnausium ????

It also suffices at times (not all the time) when a laminated copy of one's passport is not accepted - and hence it saves wear and tear on one's passport. For me that alone (in addition to the time saved and keeping my wife happy) makes it worth while. 

I consider that a real purpose - but of course some may not.

Have never carried my passport around with me. nor my PR book or Alien registration book and that has never been a problem. And it was my decision to get the Pink card (don't recall why though)

Despite it not being an ID card and not accepted outside the province of issue, I use it very regularly and countrywide as ID and nobody (other than Air Asia) have ever challenged it.

Checking into a hotel usually gets me superior service, no problem in the post office when ID required for sending packages, and I recently registered at a hospital using it (out of my province) in the hope I might get Thai prices - that remains to be seen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Yes... it places you in the ‘Thai system’ which is clearly and advantage for those Foreigners with the Pink ID who have already received the vaccine while those who insist its a waste of time and doesn’t have any purpose are flailing around still trying to register. 

The Purpose: 

It does serve as an ID card - places accept it as an ID card. Places accept it as proof of address.

My local DLT accept it (some don’t) - no need to get a 2500 baht letter of residence from embassy

The Bank Accepts it - no need to carry passport everywhere

Hotels accept it

Police accept it at a check point or police stop.

The pink ID serves a useful purpose. Its not important, its not a need to have. But its handy to have it. 

And with the vaccine roll out the Pink ID card has proved extremely useful. 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... it places you in the ‘Thai system’ which is clearly and advantage for those Foreigners with the Pink ID who have already received the vaccine while those who insist its a waste of time and doesn’t have any purpose are flailing around still trying to register. 

No it doesn't, the yellow house registration does that.

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I lived in Thailand from 1997 to 1999 and by the end of 1999, my passport was in horrific shape, having carried it around with me every day. Further, it was an annoyance in my pocket due to its size. Not the weight - the dimensions!

The Pink ID I have today, its dimensions are far far superior.

I wish it was like the EU, where I have an EU ID card, which is accepted in lieu of one's passport (in the EU).  When traveling all around Europe (in the EU only) I never carried my passport with me. Only my EU ID.  It saved massive wear and tear on my passport. 

I am now experiencing the same ease with my Thai Pink ID. Its easy to carry, and saves massive wear and tear on my Passport.  And frankly, replacing a torn up passport, here in Thailand, is something I think i will find a major PIA.  I'm glad I won't need to do such because the ID is mostly sufficing for various activities (in lieu of the passport).

I'm sure the wear and tear on your passport is negligible if you take it to the DLT once every 5 years.

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Also (a bit off topic) - a week ago, I opened a bank account with Krungsri (here in Phuket) with the PinkID and my Yellow Book. Immigration COR was not needed.

Which again had nothing to do with your pink ID card, you could have presented passport and yellow book and it would have worked in the same way.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Purpose:

It does serve as an ID card - places accept it as an ID card. Places accept it as proof of address.

My local DLT accept it (some don’t) - no need to get a 2500 baht letter of residence from embassy

The Bank Accepts it - no need to carry passport everywhere

Hotels accept it

Police accept it at a check point or police stop.

- So does the Thai driving license

- They accept the yellow book as proof of address, has nothing to do with the pink ID card

- That's correct, but how often does the average person do something at a bank which requires the passport? Once or twice a year? Not a big deal to take the passport on these occasions.

- If hotels accept the pink ID card, they also accept a Thai driving license

- Police check points also accept the Thai driving license

If somebody doesn't have a Thai driving license, the pink ID card might have its benefits, but other than that not much.

• Haha 1

Actually, I remember years ago my card had a use -  I was buying a 'Rolex' watch from MBK and the Burmese guy saw my card and said he'd give me discount as I was one of them. 

He thought only migrant workers had to carry them at all times. They can't choose if it worth having or not, they get put in jail if they don't get it. 

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

- So does the Thai driving license

- They accept the yellow book as proof of address, has nothing to do with the pink ID card

- That's correct, but how often does the average person do something at a bank which requires the passport? Once or twice a year? Not a big deal to take the passport on these occasions.

- If hotels accept the pink ID card, they also accept a Thai driving license

- Police check points also accept the Thai driving license

If somebody doesn't have a Thai driving license, the pink ID card might have its benefits, but other than that not much.

The card could help if you don't have a Work Permit or Driver's license. 

I used to board planes with just my DL and also book hotels. 

The problem with the pink card is that many Thais are confused as to what it means when they see a farang with one, as they've only known/seen on the news migrant workers with one. 

I'd bet a Burmese or Cambodian couldn't use this card to get Thai discount, like some farang wrongly get. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The problem with this card, unlike the Thai ID card, is that the name is in Thai. Actually, for refugees/stateless people, the pink card is in English.

That's not correct Neeranam--- The Thai pink card is completely written in Thai--there is not one English word on it.

I don't see a down side to having it--took me 90 min last month to get one-- come back PM to pick it up. If it only helps you out in just one or two situations, OK.

5 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

That's not correct Neeranam--- The Thai pink card is completely written in Thai--there is not one English word on it.

I don't see a down side to having it--took me 90 min last month to get one-- come back PM to pick it up. If it only helps you out in just one or two situations, OK.

Actually, it's "Non-Thai pink card". Some are in English.

image.png.12d3b928e8a9751aba2a6da7cbd60cd1.png

6 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I got mine in 30 minutes from the forensic police station a few years ago. 

• Like 1

I think that to sum up my view on these cards, it is worth getting one if you already have a yellow house book,but they don't actually give you any rights. You may get Thai discount at some places, might be lucky if someone, who doesn't know what they are, lets you prove your address or lets you on a flight or into a hotel, but you should also take your passport in case. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I got mine in 30 minutes from the forensic police station a few years ago. 

I don't think we have got a forensic police station in "Issan Barn Nok"........ but you beat me by an hour---I hope you spent the time wisely......

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, it's "Non-Thai pink card". Some are in English.

image.png.12d3b928e8a9751aba2a6da7cbd60cd1.png

YES ... my pink Card is completely written in Thai. 

TBH ...  10 pages of discussion when it is so simple to obtain. As Neeranam suggests just a couple of posts above ... Just get it, but if you think it is a waste of time don't. 

I have found it quite useful even though I have the Yellow Book.  I used it to register for my AZ vaccine injection which I received yesterday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

I'm sure the wear and tear on your passport is negligible if you take it to the DLT once every 5 years.

No - definitely not the case - there is wear and tear on a passport.

Following the Thai requirement to carry one's passport every day is a lot more than to the DLT once every 5 years .

Which again had nothing to do with your pink ID card, you could have presented passport and yellow book and it would have worked in the same way.

You were not at the bank.  I was.  They were very grateful to have the pink ID, stated it made their job easier.  .... 

Further - My wife and I often like to do things on the spur of the moment.  Which means with a pink-ID that in some cases (not all) can do the same as what one can with a passport, means I can do such on the spur of the moment, and don't have to drive home to get the passport.  I value that ability to be more spontaneous.  Obviously some don't value such.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1