Pink ID card

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Translations can be certified by the Thai Consulate in the UK, but not in Thailand. 

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok certifies translations. When it is done they require the document that was translated and the translation of it. I am aware of cases where they disapproved them due to an error in the translation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Is it though?

I believe you need a yellow book first. Is this easy to obtain? What are the requirements? That is an impossible question. Many districts have different rules.

As an example, my local district want the passport translation to be certified by MFA in Bangkok. That is a hassle in itself. For what? To avoid the need to get a residency cert for a DL every 5 years?

Yes you do need the Yellow Book and that was made clear on the first page of this topic.

Once you have that it is easy to get the Pink Card.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok certifies translations. When it is done they require the document that was translated and the translation of it. I am aware of cases where they disapproved them due to an error in the translation.

'Certifies' is the wrong word as there is no certifying body(like other countries). The MoFA 'legalizes' documents by  authenticating and affixing their official seal. "Certified' just means adding a signature.

When I submitted docs to the Ministry of Interior for my Citizenship they had been legalized in different ways. Some were attested/legalized by the UK embassy in Bangkok before being translated by a uncertified, but registered, translation company. Others were translated by myself and legalized by MoFA. Another was legalized in the UK, before being 'attested by the Thai Embassy in London, then translated and authenticated at MoFA  

I'm also aware of cases that were not accepted, a few even from the translators that work there. 

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

As an example, my local district want the passport translation to be certified by MFA in Bangkok

Same here....but the MFA refuse to translate the passport until it is certified (legalized?) by the British Embassy......going off the whole idea.

43 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Yes you do need the Yellow Book and that was made clear on the first page of this topic.

Once you have that it is easy to get the Pink Card.

My point is that getting the yellow book is part of the process of getting a pink ID card.

The process of getting a yellow book is not simple. Thus, getting the pink ID card is not simple.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

'Certifies' is the wrong word as there is no certifying body(like other countries). The MoFA 'legalizes' documents by  authenticating and affixing their official seal. "Certified' just means adding a signature.

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA website has both certifying and legalization shown on it.

See: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/page/cate-6441-รับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร?menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c008184

For translations it shows this on a infographic.

image.png.b138d23114eb812bffe2effa689d5cf0.png

Source: https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/ขั้นตอนการรับรองเอกสาร

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Same here....but the MFA refuse to translate the passport until it is certified (legalized?) by the British Embassy......going off the whole idea.

Thats pretty much the crux of it... 3 steps - none difficult, just require a little leg work and can be made much simpler if you use a translation service in town. 

Step 1: Obtain Certified Copy of your British Passport from the British Embassy.

Step 2: (a) Go to MFA building (Chaengwattana) use one of the translation services there to Translate the Embassy certified Copy of your Passport (cost for translation about 300 baht I think)

Step 3: (a) Take the Translation of the Copy of your Passport up to the second floor, MFA desk, leave the documents, there for legalisation. Once done MFA will post documents to your address (about 3-4 days) or you can go back and collect them (2-3 days) - (Cant remember the cost, about 1-200 baht I think).

OR... use a translation service in town: 

Step 2: (b) Go to one of the translation services (just south of Ploernchit BTS) - they can translate the Embassy certified Copy of your Passport.

Step 3: (b) The transition service will also take your documents to the MFA for legalisation, this will take about a week and you can collect your documents from the translation service later 

(cost for this is about 800 baht I think). 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats pretty much the crux of it... 3 steps - none difficult, just require a little leg work and can be made much simpler if you use a translation service in town. 

Step 1: Obtain Certified Copy of your British Passport from the British Embassy.

Step 2: (a) Go to MFA building (Chaengwattana) use one of the translation services there to Translate the Embassy certified Copy of your Passport (cost for translation about 300 baht I think)

Step 3: (a) Take the Translation of the Copy of your Passport up to the second floor, MFA desk, leave the documents, there for legalisation. Once done MFA will post documents to your address (about 3-4 days) or you can go back and collect them (2-3 days) - (Cant remember the cost, about 1-200 baht I think).

OR... use a translation service in town: 

Step 2: (b) Go to one of the translation services (just south of Ploernchit BTS) - they can translate the Embassy certified Copy of your Passport.

Step 3: (b) The transition service will also take your documents to the MFA for legalisation, this will take about a week and you can collect your documents from the translation service later 

(cost for this is about 800 baht I think). 

Brill thanks for that......I'll explain it all to the wife and pack her off.....555

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Many translators do it by mail, could have saved you a trip. My point was they are not certified, just recognized ???? or registered. 

Why insist on making things up, I never said "they" were certified.

Try reading before making comment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Is it though?

I believe you need a yellow book first. Is this easy to obtain? What are the requirements? That is an impossible question. Many districts have different rules.

As an example, my local district want the passport translation to be certified by MFA in Bangkok. That is a hassle in itself. For what? To avoid the need to get a residency cert for a DL every 5 years?

After the local Amphur not knowing what ro do it took just the letter from immgration for my address and Mt passport nothing needs to be translated. This was Confirm with several other provinces had my ID and yellow book done soon as the Boss could fill in the form. 

3 minutes ago, arick said:

After the local Amphur not knowing what ro do it took just the letter from immgration for my address and Mt passport nothing needs to be translated. This was Confirm with several other provinces had my ID and yellow book done soon as the Boss could fill in the form. 

Like I said previously, many districts want different things. I can confirm 100% that, in order for me to obtain a yellow house book I will need to get my passport translated and stamped by the MFA in Bangkok.

4 minutes ago, arick said:

Each and every Amphur has different requirements, with every report of someone who went to a different Amphur office with the requirements matching those expected of you, there is another report of someone who went to a different Amphur office at which the requirements are different. 

The only way to find out exactly what the exact requirements of your Amphur office are is to go there and find out. 

It took my Wife two visits to just find out as the first time my Wife (who was renewing her ID at the time) visited the Amphur and asked, she was told I could not obtain a Yellow Book on my current Visa (Thai Elite). My Wife returned to me with this news and I had to tell her she was wrong; we went back to the Amphur to tell them they were wrong - things progressed from there and I was given a specific list of requirements.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Why insist on making things up, I never said "they" were certified.

Try reading before making comment.

"Probably because the translator must stamp the document as "Certified Correct Translation" with a name and telephone number. Only the translation is certified, not the content.

Documents are normally unacceptable without the stamp, they don't want your GF doing the translation."

Oh sorry, must be another sandyf on this forum. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

"Probably because the translator must stamp the document as "Certified Correct Translation" with a name and telephone number. Only the translation is certified, not the content.

Documents are normally unacceptable without the stamp, they don't want your GF doing the translation."

It depends what it is and what it is for.

Uk visa applications will be accepted with self translations, signed and dated but not stamped.

I have seen it done.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Uk visa applications will be accepted with self translations, signed and dated but not stamped.

I have seen it done.

I was quoting someone

After reading this, I find it unbelievable that they will let you into the country with your passport as it is, but not let you stay without it being translated.

How does Ashton-under-Lyne or 28/12/1947 translate to Thai apart from the year, which is in English on my Thai Driving License? 

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

After reading this, I find it unbelievable that they will let you into the country with your passport as it is, but not let you stay without it being translated.

How does Ashton-under-Lyne or 28/12/1947 translate to Thai apart from the year, which is in English on my Thai Driving License? 

It is just transliterated in Thai. 

In Khon Kaen, I wasn't asked for a translation of my Passport, nor in Lopburi.

They want to make it hard for Westerners as these cards were started for migrant workers and refugees. When Westerners start asking for them, it means more, unnecessary work for the govt officers. 

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What part of this statement did you find difficult - "Only the translation is certified, not the content."

At the end of the day it is a bit irrelevant what you think, if the stamp says "certified", people will refer to it as a "certified translation".

If the authorities want to see a stamp, they want to see a stamp, end of story.

translation stamp. (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I have seen it done.

Exactly, different entities different requirements.

All about establishing what is required.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What part of this statement did you find difficult - "Only the translation is certified, not the content."

Now I am confused. First you told me you never said 'certified'.

To be honest, I find all of that difficult to understand.

Do you mean the translation is certified? If so, that is wrong, translations can't be certified in Thailand. There is no certifying body here.

If  it does not have the type of stamp shown a few posts above the MFA won't stamp and legalize the document. I have over 20 different translated documents which have the original stapled behind it and legalized by the MFA. Each translation done either by a company in Udon Thani or in BKK have that certication of translation stamp on them.

Edited by ThailandRyan

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

At the end of the day it is a bit irrelevant what you think, if the stamp says "certified", people will refer to it as a "certified translation".

If the authorities want to see a stamp, they want to see a stamp, end of story.

translation stamp. (2).jpg

My point is that I(or you), an uncertified translator, could buy a stamp for 50 baht and call myself(yourself) a certified translator and have a stamp exactly like the above. It is up to you to believe that or not, but really quite simple. 

Many of the companies I use have this shown on their websites as well:

"translations are certified and bear the signature of an authorized person in our company as well as our company seal. They can be used in most embassies and government agencies. Our translations can also be used in court in Thailand.

In certain instances, certified translations may need to be legalized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is a service we provide and we can handle the process on your behalf"

On 3/6/2021 at 3:44 PM, CharlieH said:

Now heres another example of how things can vary. I went to a Hotel a few days ago, they didnt ask for anything! Nothing at all. Just the wifes ID was enough. Thailand ...geez.

Had that experience many times. Wife usually goes in first and gets the room while I park up and get the luggage out .

When we use a curtain hotel the only thing they ask for is the money !!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Each and every Amphur has different requirements, with every report of someone who went to a different Amphur office with the requirements matching those expected of you, there is another report of someone who went to a different Amphur office at which the requirements are different. 

The only way to find out exactly what the exact requirements of your Amphur office are is to go there and find out. 

It took my Wife two visits to just find out as the first time my Wife (who was renewing her ID at the time) visited the Amphur and asked, she was told I could not obtain a Yellow Book on my current Visa (Thai Elite). My Wife returned to me with this news and I had to tell her she was wrong; we went back to the Amphur to tell them they were wrong - things progressed from there and I was given a specific list of requirements.

Forget the wife you need a childhood friend of the amphur manager or Sisters in other Amphur District offices. 

21 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Like I said previously, many districts want different things. I can confirm 100% that, in order for me to obtain a yellow house book I will need to get my passport translated and stamped by the MFA in Bangkok.

Also depends what country your passports comes from... Also