Pink ID card

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you're passport is in english, often you don't need as translation, I didn't with a British passport(in Lopburi and khon Kaen) 

Yet I needed one for my US passport in Udon Thani and then here in Bangkok just last year when I changed the address on my pink ID card.

53 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet I needed one for my US passport in Udon Thani and then here in Bangkok just last year when I changed the address on my pink ID card.

Really, which Khet?

All your information would have been on your yellow house registration book. Absolutely no reason for asking for a passport translation. 

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Really, which Khet?

All your information would have been on your yellow house registration book. Absolutely no reason for asking for a passport translation. 

Here in Sathon.  My yellow house book  was from my house in udon. They had to transfer everything to my yellow book for my condo. Same number was used.  It took them a week to sort it out. My pink ID card and my licenses now have the same address.

Edited by ThailandRyan

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you're passport is in english, often you don't need as translation, I didn't with a British passport(in Lopburi and khon Kaen) 

My wife and I run a translation service. We have helped may expats with yellow book requirements. Every single one of them has required a Thai translation of the applicant passport, regardless of what language the passport is in.

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you certified? ????

We abide by the rules (stamp with "certified a true translation" , name and telephone number) business letterhead. That is all that is required. 

Our translations have never been refused.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

We abide by the rules (stamp with "certified a true translation" , name and telephone number) business letterhead. That is all that is required. 

Our translations have never been refused.

I was joking, I know there are no certified translators. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was joking, I know there are no certified translators. 

Semantics is where we are having the disconnect here and is why I think your getting confused.  A translator stamps the document certified stating that the document they have translated is true and correct, and again that is why a certified stamp is placed on those documents.  This is also so that the company information and approved translator can be verified at the MFA if needed.  If they do not approve of the translated paperwork done by the translator as being certified correct, or they do not recognize the individual as being on a list, then the paperwork will be rejected and a new translation using an approved and licensed company will need to be done.  I had it happen with a small company here in Bangkok as they did not use the proper formatting as they had not been given the proper format required by the MFA, and had to waste another day having one of the companies in the building redo it.

Edited by ThailandRyan

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Semantics is where we are having the disconnect here and is why I think your getting confused.

I'm not confused in the slightest.

I know exactly what 'certified' means : -

All I was trying to tell you was that there is NO "official organization'(certifying body) for translators in Thailand, full stop.

image.png.d4d50f23caa8148f6b7596bbb34fbc84.png

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

or they do not recognize the individual as being on a list, then the paperwork will be rejected and a new translation using an approved and licensed company will need to be done.  

There is no list of approved and licensed translators or translation companies. As long as the translation and format are correct and there is a stamp on it, it will be approved. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:02 PM, Neeranam said:

Yes you can, in fact homeless(stateless) people can get them

I'm only responding to this for the benefit of anyone reading that might that be misled by the above comment. Historically these ID card we given to stateless people and they came with onerous restrictions attached to them, certainly not something anyone reading this would want. Nevertheless, I'd be amused to find out what would happen if any farang went to their Amphur to ask for a pink ID on the basis they are stateless. While it might be technically possible, I suspect they'd be laughed out of the building. . .

Tabien Baan first, Pink ID second.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:25 PM, Neeranam said:

AS you say, it helps and worth getting. Just not as useful as some make out. 

My accountant told me a few days ago I should start using my Pink ID number in place of anything else when making large purchases with a tax receipt as it will help her to reduce my tax burden. The fact you are not experiencing any of what I describe not withstanding, for the last few months it's been coming out of my wallet every week pretty much. Certainly, SOMETHING has shifted this year but I don't know what.

• Like 1

While I was just out I needed to pop into the Bank. 

I was asked for my passport.. of course, I don’t carry that with me everywhere. 

Pink ID saved the hassle of not having to go home and get my passport from my safe - not a biggie, but its a convenient ID to carry around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pink ID saved the hassle of not having to go home and get my passport from my safe - not a biggie, but its a convenient ID to carry around.

This sounds like you are making stuff up.

If you opened the bank account with your passport, you can only operate it with your passport, because your pink id card doesn't have your name in English on it.

If you opened it with the pink id card, you can only operate it with the pink id card.

So the situation that you just described probably didn't happen.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I had a pink ID, 3 banks wouldn't accept it when making large transactions, withdrawal and transfer. 

Which bank was this and what were you doing there? 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I had a pink ID, 3 banks wouldn't accept it when making large transactions, withdrawal and transfer. 

Which bank was this and what were you doing there? 

Bangkok Bank. Resetting mBanking app on phone.

(mBanking App had updated and kicked me out, couldn’t log back in again - needed a new login - couldn’t be done with ATM or OLB).

If it pleases you, they could have sad no if I wanted withdraw a large amount of cash, or it could have been fine !

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I had the same richard--- @ B.Bank, I have a safety Dep box, and a friend ask be to store some (he said ) important papers, as he house shares. It would normally be them taking a photo copy of passport and me signing the photo copy to get into the box. But the Pink card was OK-- I think the more establishments see it--the more they accept it.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This sounds like you are making stuff up.

If you opened the bank account with your passport, you can only operate it with your passport, because your pink id card doesn't have your name in English on it.

If you opened it with the pink id card, you can only operate it with the pink id card.

So the situation that you just described probably didn't happen.

Sounds more like you are making stuff up. I opened my account at Bangkok with my passport. I use my pink ID for withdrawing money over the counter monthly. No, I don't have to "operate it" only with my passport. Next.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Sounds more like you are making stuff up. I opened my account at Bangkok with my passport. I use my pink ID for withdrawing money over the counter monthly. No, I don't have to "operate it" only with my passport. Next.

Seems to be a hit or a miss. Bangkok bank wouldn't let me withdraw using my pink card. Did you open the account with only the pink card?

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

it with your passport, because your pink id card doesn't have your name in English on it.

I obtained my Safety /D box some 16 years ago, with my passport--I hadn't at that time even heard of Pink Card. I hardly ever access it.

I don't see the problem with the names jackdd--My wife used her Thai Passport for various reasons when she was slow at reporting (& replacing)her lost ID card. The Thai Passport of course being in English.

Edited by sanuk711

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't see the problem with the names jackdd--My wife used her Thai Passport for various reasons when she was slow at report (& replacing)her lost ID card. The Thai Passport of course being in English.

The name of the ID card (Thai script) and the name that the bank has in their records (Latin script) does obviously not match.

You can't even board an airplane due to this mismatch, if a bank lets you withdraw money even though the ID doesn't match that's obviously very unsafe and I would worry about my money in this bank.

Thai passports have the name in English and in Thai in them, so of course they can be used for identification instead of an ID card.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The name of the ID card (Thai script) and the name that the bank has in their records (Latin script) does obviously not match.

You can't even board an airplane due to this mismatch, if a bank lets you withdraw money even though the ID doesn't match that's obviously very unsafe and I would worry about my money in this bank.

I would be very surprised if anyone could take out a large amount of cash using their pink card. It would be a big error by the bank employee. 

I opened accounts with 3 Banks more than 20 years ago and changed/added my Pink ID card for 2 Banks several years ago. SCB informed that they cannot do it.

Nowadays there is no need to go a Bank and my only visits are to meet the female manager of a Bank that I do not have an account with or if I want some help using the App when I don't really need it.

I use the Pink ID card everywhere necessary for me - hotels, airline check in and airport security, vaccine registration and going to receive vaccine, BRS, MRT, Kerry Express, etc.

Just went to get my passport translated and by chance the lady asked for my wife's ID (don't know why?)....but she spotted that my wife's married name, in Thai, was spelt wrong .....so we checked our marriage certificates and her name is spelt wrong on all of the doc's related to our marriage.......will this ever be a problem????

14 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Just went to get my passport translated and by chance the lady asked for my wife's ID (don't know why?)....but she spotted that my wife's married name, in Thai, was spelt wrong .....so we checked our marriage certificates and her name is spelt wrong on all of the doc's related to our marriage.......will this ever be a problem????

It could be a BIG problem in matters like: Land-office,etc.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

It could be a BIG problem in matters like: Land-office,etc.

Why?

The name is shown on on everything that has been done officially. House book and ID card for example.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

The name is shown on on everything that has been done officially. House book and ID card for example.

I experienced it, there was a letter (in Thai),wrongly written and it was a big problem. There was a difference between the blue PR book and the name on the house registration. Long time ago so I don't recall all of the story...

8 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I experienced it, there was a letter (in Thai),wrongly written and it was a big problem. There was a difference between the blue PR book and the name on the house registration.

That is a different case than the problem posted. His wife is Thai and the problem was the translation for her married name and that appears on all of her important documents and would never be questioned.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I experienced it, there was a letter (in Thai),wrongly written and it was a big problem. There was a difference between the blue PR book and the name on the house registration. Long time ago so I don't recall all of the story...

I had similar, official MFA translation turned out to be different from chanote. Had to run around and change to suit the MFA translation. 

Land office said it would have possed a problem when wifes marrie name doesn't match chanote owner name

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1