The COVID/Brexit cocktail: UK lost market share in U.S., Germany and China - report

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are correct, Thatcher crippled tge Unions and the result was ordinary working people being ‘done over’ in the work place.

Ordinary working people backed Thatcher and now blame immigrants for the mess the loss of work place benefits.

Wind forward a few decades, the working class back a Brexit funded by the hyper wealthy - but you think it will end well.

Suckered twice Insay.

Not really chomper,the " ordinary people " backed thatcher believing her lies about destroying the unions and golden dawns and got shafted however for her policies to work required a glut and a surplus of labour,enter freedom of movement and the nasty little traits of current working practises it bought with it,then we,ve got the party of the working class,momentum,sorry labour who famously proclaimed "we sent out the search parties to rub the right wings noses in it "natrually this had a detrimental effect on the indigenous working man.so i personally prefer the tories (as do the majority of the country,as proved by boris,es resounding victory in the last peoples election) as although i think the vast majority of politicians are 2 bob slags,at least you know you know where you are with the tories.

Edited by kingdong

7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

First point. Nope you never have answered the question.

Second point. It was you who said Thatcher smashed the unions. Now doing this did erode workers rights. This is why we ended up with a scenario of the EU having to pass laws to improve workers rights.

Third point. Its nice to hear that you have done OK. Its not so nice to hear that you are happy to see farmers struggling just to facilitate leaving the largest trading block in the world for no apparent reason. Or at least no reason you can give.

Farmer up the road from me runs 13 bootfairs annually,hes making far more than he did from farming without all the hassle of taking on casual labour he still does a bit of pick your own and has never been as well off,although he tells the taxman hes on the bones of his harris.

7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

First point. Nope you never have answered the question.

Second point. It was you who said Thatcher smashed the unions. Now doing this did erode workers rights. This is why we ended up with a scenario of the EU having to pass laws to improve workers rights.

Third point. Its nice to hear that you have done OK. Its not so nice to hear that you are happy to see farmers struggling just to facilitate leaving the largest trading block in the world for no apparent reason. Or at least no reason you can give.

Point one i hsve on several occasions pointed out the answer but you appear to be suffering from short term or should it be selective memory loss.second point what did the eu do for workers rights?you haven,t got any " w orkers rights " if you,re self employed or on a zero hour contract see above you,ve also been told this on several occasions before. Third point no i didn,t really do ok as i had to study on both occasions for professions now obsolete,trading block?if it would have remained a " trading block " i.e a common market we would have still been in it,what has having " freedom of movement " imposed on you got to do with being in a trading block?

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Point one i hsve on several occasions pointed out the answer but you appear to be suffering from short term or should it be selective memory loss.second point what did the eu do for workers rights?you haven,t got any " w orkers rights " if you,re self employed or on a zero hour contract see above you,ve also been told this on several occasions before. Third point no i didn,t really do ok as i had to study on both occasions for professions now obsolete,trading block?if it would have remained a " trading block " i.e a common market we would have still been in it,what has having " freedom of movement " imposed on you got to do with being in a trading block?

Point one. Nope you never have. Usually you answer that question with some waffle or deflection.

Point two. Zero hours contracts are a damned disgrace in my opinion. Of course they are always justified by right wing Brexiteers using some anecdotal story of someone they know who loves being on a zero hour contract.

Point three. So you still cannot give an example of a benefit of being out of the EU.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Loiner said:

I’ve got all I need - the Brexit I voted for. 

So you voted for a Brexit which puts fishermen, and women, on the dole, which increases the costs of small companies who export to the EU, which has seen jobs flow out of the UK and into the EU etc.; a Brexit of which you cannot find a single thing to say is a positive benefit?

Do you really hate the UK that much?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Loiner said:

I could also tell you to go look yourself, but you wouldn’t. I know what’s there and I’m happy with it. Why should I look for something to keep you happy?

You are the one who is constantly saying that there are tangible benefits to Brexit; yet you are always incapable of naming just one!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kingdong said:

Considering the damage done to the uk due to its membership to the eu the benefits will not occur overnight,he who laughs last laughs longest.

Here are 98 Reasons To Stay In The EU: Benefits Of Membership For The UK.

Can you counter that with a list of the damage you claim was done to the UK while we were a member?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kingdong said:

<snip> however did see the excesses of trade unionism despite copping out of it,however since thatcher smashed the the unions the working mans rights have been destroyed

Thatcher's emasculating of the unions had nothing to do with the EU nor our membership of it!

If anything, EU membership has improved workers rights through such measures as the Health and safety at Work directives, the Working Time Directive and the Agency Workers’ Directive. Like all EU members, the UK was able to improve upon these directives in our own legislation, and in some areas did. Although the EU regulation passed in April 2019 banning, amongst other aspects of the gig economy, zero hours contracts* wont become part of UK law. 

In December the UK government did promise to introduce some measure of protection for gig economy workers, though it didn't go as far as the EU's. What has happened to that promise since Boris took over, I don't know.

How many other worker's rights derived from EU directives will this government remove, I wonder.

*Addendum.

Not that they were widely used within the EU anyway.

Zero hours contracts: is the UK "the odd one out"? 26 JULY 2016

"Not all have an explicit ban, but it’s correct that most EU countries outlaw these contracts, heavily restrict them, or don’t see them widely used. The UK is one of around half a dozen European countries where zero hours contracts are both legal and fairly common."

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1