Asian Highway Becomes First New Maximum Speed Road

rooster59

47 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I don't know what the word is, but I live with a Thai women (my wife) has plenty of common sense! 

And no, I disagree. Folks pay little heed to speed limit signs anyway. Why plant yet more of them for motorists to ignore?

I find it amusing (and massively dangerous) the 7 motorway is 120km/h but it has 90km/h illuminated signage every other kilometer.

Often see people hurtling along at 120km/h go past one of the 90km/h sign and just after is an overhead speed readout, they dive on the brakes to slow to 90.

Those must be farang drivers, no? Thai drivers don't pay attention to flashing signage as it's outside their tunnel vision and confounded by their lack of spatial awareness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:
8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Circular road signs with a red border, such as speed limit signs, are classed as Prohibitory or Restrictive signs. The sign saying 120 doesn't mean that's the speed that you have to drive at. For example, if there was a 120 sign just before some u-turns, a tight bend, a built-up area, road works or a roadside market, what speed would you choose?

I would choose a speed appropriate to the road, traffic and weather conditions based on my 53 years of accident free driving.

Is the correct answer.

So why bother debating the foolishness or otherwise of increasing the speed limit and whether it will ever apply to the roads that you travel on?

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I find it amusing (and massively dangerous) the 7 motorway is 120km/h but it has 90km/h illuminated signage every other kilometer.

Often see people hurtling along at 120km/h go past one of the 90km/h sign and just after is an overhead speed readout, they dive on the brakes to slow to 90.

If this highway you speak of is 120 km/h why does it have signs posted reading 90 km/h?

At least those 'your speed is XXX' signs are having some effect.

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Is the correct answer.

So why bother debating the foolishness or otherwise of increasing the speed limit and whether it will ever apply to the roads that you travel on?

I was simply answering your last question.

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Note the term "private car drivers". Does this mean that buses, trucks and high sided pick-ups with their load covered in a blue and white striped plastic tarpaulin can drive as they always have with no ramifications?

There are speed limits for such vehicles but up to them.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Those must be farang drivers, no? Thai drivers don't pay attention to flashing signage as it's outside their tunnel vision and confounded by their lack of spatial awareness.

Yeah definitely white foreigners...... Very Thai looking white foreigners.

54 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If this highway you speak of is 120 km/h why does it have signs posted reading 90 km/h?

That would be a question for the motorways department as my crystal ball only has so many features.

• Haha 1

This is very simple to answer, the digital signs do not have the capability to display 3 digits, where it is most predominant is on the stretch between the service area and the toll heading towards BKK, this is mainly due to the badly constructed bridges. 

Regardless, the speed limit is 120.

Edited by Mattd

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

This is very simple to answer, the digital signs do not have the capability to display 3 digits, where it is most predominant is on the stretch between the service area and the toll heading towards BKK, this is mainly due to the badly constructed bridges. 

Regardless, the speed limit is 120.

Ah thanks. I see know. Those ''your speed'' signs must be meant for urban use. That's where I've only ever seen them.

I pass 2 of them regularly on either side of a village school. They've never worked in the 4 years that I've been passing through there. One of them doesn't even have the electronics pack fitted.  Fat lot of use they are!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The OP does say '120kph UNLESS HINDERED'.

Probably Hindered, as usual, by Tik driving her truck along the centre lane at 60km/h when there's nothing in the left lane. So the speed limit will be maybe 100-120 in the right lane, then 160 for overtaking in the left lane.

Also differing limits for different vehicles. 320km/h superbikes, for example, will be hindered by a 110km/h limit and not allowed to reach a heady 120km/h because they're so much slower than cars.

9 hours ago, phetphet said:

The part about "only the outside lane" will be totally ignored.

Yes indeed, especially by the interprovincial buses (and lorries) trying to avoid the ruts and ridges in the well-used left hand lanes, as I know from driving many journeys between Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai!

Search on for tour bus passengers after three test positive for Covid-19 |  The Thaiger

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

. One of them doesn't even have the electronics pack fitted. 

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You actually stopped and checked to see how it was wired up ?

No need to stop. The housing on the back of the unit is completely empty with the door left swinging open in the breeze. (I knew someone would ask) ????

Edited by Moonlover

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No need to stop. The housing on the back of the unit is completely empty with the door left swinging open in the breeze. (I knew someone would ask) ????

You noticed that as you went past at 90km/h ?

The stench of buffalo excrement is strong.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You noticed that as you went past at 90km/h ?

The stench of buffalo excrement is strong.

It's in a village that I pass through regularly at around 40km/h. And I pass through there both ways I get to see both sides of it.

34 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
36 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's in a village that I pass through regularly at around 40km/h. And I pass through there both ways I get to see both sides of it.

34 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

thanks for validating your claims.

If you had read my post properly in the first place it would have been pretty obvious that I would not have been flying through at 90km/h. I did mention that they were adjacent to a school!

I do not feel I have to validate myself to you or anybody else.

I also take exemption to being accused of falsehoods!

Well for once I agree with all the whiners. That section of Thai roads being as busy as it is would not have been my first choice. U-turns not with standing. When driving north that is the busiest section. 

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If you had read my post properly in the first place it would have been pretty obvious that I would not have been flying through at 90km/h. I did mention that they were adjacent to a school!

I do not feel I have to validate myself to you or anybody else.

I also take exemption to being accused of falsehoods!

I read your past post properly, You mentioned nothing about the speed you went past the camera.

Thank you  for the follow up and clarification, are school zones here limited like western countries ?

I regularly drive this highway from Bang Pa In to Nakhon Sawan and yes the section up to Ang Thong has either u-turn bridges ( up to Ayutthaya ) or underpasses.

Incidently it is not 120 kph all the way on the reported section ( Bang Pa In to Ang Thong ) as I drove the first 16 km to Ayutthaya 1 he ago and it was clearly still marked as 90 kph .

Further North ( Ang Thong to Chainat ) work is in progress to improve the underpasses, or create new ones , and no doubt the existing central u-turns will be closed, so expect another 120 kph section to be opened soon.

Plenty of accidents and lunatic drivers on this road , removing the central u-turns will improve things slightly but the increase in speed limit, IMHO, will outweigh that by a long way, expect delays due to shunts in the fast lane. A couple of months there were two within 500 metres, 13 cars involved.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The other thread about this speed limit increase implies that all multi-lane divided highways will be increased, this article suggests otherwise.....hence my question.

The article doesn't suggest that, at all.

Edited by Maliproto

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I appreciate that, but where on many other highways are there NO U turns....very few. So is it back to 90kph if there ARE the dreaded U turns or what?

All you have to do is to look at what speed limit is posted.

15 hours ago, Maliproto said:
On 3/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, KannikaP said:

I appreciate that, but where on many other highways are there NO U turns....very few. So is it back to 90kph if there ARE the dreaded U turns or what?

No quite. All that's needed is to drive at a speed dictated by the prevailing traffic and road conditions. If a sign says 120 or 90, it doesn't mean that's the speed that one needs to be barging along at.

It's so much simpler here. Years ago on LA1 to Fourchon, 30 mph was the norm passing through towns by the bayou and speed limit signs were posted. However, Golden Meadow had a 25 mph limit without any signs at all. When one of our engineers chose to challenge his speeding ticket in court, he mentioned the lack of posted speed limits. The judge waived him off with the statement that wherever you see a white picket fence roadside, that marks the extents of the 25 mph zone, "...and everyone here knows that."

Edited by NanLaew

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's so much simpler here.

Where?

It used to be said, when I was a youngster in UK, that if there were lamp-posts, then the limit was 30 mph. Don't know about these days though.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:
18 hours ago, Maliproto said:
On 3/14/2021 at 8:32 AM, KannikaP said:

Expand  

No quite. All that's needed is to drive at a speed dictated by the prevailing traffic and road conditions. If a sign says 120 or 90, it doesn't mean that's the speed that one needs to be barging along at.

"If a sign says 120 or 90, it doesn't mean that's the speed that one needs to be barging along at".

I didn't say that it was.

• Like 1