The week that was in Thailand news: Will Big Joke's comeback beat the foreign tourists?!

rooster59

I went to an island resort last week. How sad. An erstwhile thriving and vivacious tourist paradise where it is hard work to find restaurant open serving decent meals. I expected that some places would be closed.....but the proportion of places shut down seems to be the vast majority, whole plazas shuttered up and some big hotels also closed. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

rooting out online miscreants whose only crime is to have an internet connection and an opinion that differs from the elite.

Well,  rooster could have almost taken those words right out of my mouth .  Or my fingers,

as the case would be in the New World Order.   Surely Rumak can empathize with Big Joke , and just to be sure I have asked him just how many "points" he has accrued so far.   hahaha

he liked that joke .    I was going to suggest that “There is a grain of truth in every joke,” 

but then ,  as i often do nowadays,   I put that suggestion in my little box on the edge of my desk......    

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Believe me boys, as someone who loathed the pointlessness of my school days, I know how you feel to want to flee class!

And to the school director who wants to punish them I say "lay off!"

I just can't help myself .   Nowhere on TV  do i find such "enjoyable" material to comment on.

The above quote from our beloved schoolmaster Mr R  has me rolling around in mud puddles , confused once again as to who the REAL  Mr R  is.   Here I am believing that most of what the R  writes is definitely establishment material ,  toe the line rhetoric , and then wham...... out comes a Jekyl and Hyde line or two. 

Its OK .   I like it.    Shows the possibility that there IS  life after death.   I myself have come back a few times and laugh at the psychologists who call some people bi-polar.  How narrow minded they are.   Obviously they have never dated enough lovely lasses from the land of smiles to know that there can be many more poles than just two.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

My guess is that BJ will remain relatively inactive for a while before being given an unpopular job like head of the tech police rooting out online miscreants whose only crime is to have an internet connection and an opinion that differs from the elite.

be careful, next door, Myanmar they arrested some of the online miscreants because they did have a different opinion then the elites and/or ones in uniform, too many similarities with uncle P... a pig with a dress on still a pig, a military dictator with a suit and tie still a military dictator

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

A glory-seeking, spotlight-stealing, credit-grabbing bureaucrat who maxed-out a publicity budget solely for his own benefit and advancement.

I bet his colleagues and underlings hate him with red-hot passion.

Can I guess you're a bit negative about the guy?

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can I guess you're a bit negative about the guy?

Probably.

The only real difference between this guy and every other social-ladder-climbing Thai, is that this guy got caught. Not punished mind, just caught. Served a token amount of time and then made a comeback; presumably the upward transmission of money was reduced while he was contemplating the garden from his window seat. On full pay and privileges.

I think I can sympathise with the OP to this extent. Every Thai I have ever known has either been corrupt or was convinced that if they played the game for long enough they would be rewarded with corrupt riches. The obvious lack of honesty  among Thais is closely linked to the obvious dishonesty in what they say, which I commented on in a previous post. This same lack of honesty is evident throughout Thai society, even extending down to mother and father Thai  allowing a 10 year old child to ride their motorbike when the minimum age for riding a motorbike is  a bit higher. It's all part of the same thing, aided and abetted by the almost complete impotence of the RTP to do anything other than chase their own corruption rainbow. Even the government jobs in Thailand are not awarded on merit but are subject to a bidding process (to my certain knowledge).

Viewed from a certain angle, it's all rather sad, that a civilisation which prides itself on being better than its neighbours is doomed to sink into oblivion under the weight of its own dishonesty.

18 hours ago, Scottie12 said:

I used to get my retirement visa by showing proof of monthly income but this t..t screwed that up, hope he comes to a sticky end.

I still get my retirement extension if that is what you mean, by way of showing proof of monthly income.

I obtain a letter from the bank which is actually easier than obtaining the document from the Embassy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the news update,  I hope you all can get your vaccines before the Summer is over, or at least before October.

The murders in Thailand seem to continue on as usual,  and | doubt that the covid virus had anything to do with most of them.

I will have to wait and see how the tourism sector is doing this coming Winter.  If it looks like most of Thailand and other countries

have all gotten their vaccines, and all tourists have to be vaccinated to travel internationally, would make me feel happy as well.

I did miss the adventures of Big Joke and hope he does shine in the spot light a few times in the future.  If the watchman retired, I doubt that many 

would miss him.  

Geezer

• Like 1

I wonder how many comments about BJ  are from actual first hand experience.   I don't know what the guy is really like,  or what his "true" motives are.   Can anyone here actually understand the process in Thailand and all other countries  which enable the scoundrels

civil servants (555) who "govern" us to rise through the various systems in place ? Everywhere has its own peculiar system,  but they all require similar methods to move up  the ladder of power .   Power !   That word reminds me of the old hippie days "power to the people!"       Oh,  how idealistic they were.

Anyway,  one personal note on mr BJ .   When for a few years those of us in Chiangmai were really treated like animals.... waiting in line at 5 AM in the morning just to get in to immigration and being treated with disdain by the workers......... One day BJ came to visit the source of all the complaints which had fallen on deaf ears previously .   The next day all had CHANGED !   Suddenly the "system"  was working smooth and fast.   Helpful smiles appeared on the faces that had been scornful.   

So what ever one says about the man.........  he certainly cleared that mess up in a matter of hours.    I can personally attest to that .