Rules / Laws Regarding Burning of Grass etc

JetsetBkk

I just had my grass (dead grass) cut yesterday and the lazy workers didn't scrape up all the cuttings, so I did half of it today. Now have a very large plastic bag of tinder-dry grass to get rid of.

So I was wondering what the rules are about garden bonfires, if any.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

burning is illegal in Thailand. 

But incineration at night in small piles is overlooked?

OP's solution? Buy a Thai concrete charcoal burner and used dried grass to boil some tap water for drinking. Officer ????

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Put it out for the rubbish truck to take. They do take garden waste.

Or, just burn it. Grass cuttings will burn quickly. As for it being illegal........look at Chiang Mai.

All my Thai neighbours burn garden waste once in awhile.

Thanks, I thought the rubbish guys wouldn't take it. I used to hide some green grass cuttings under normal kitchen waste in the large plastic bag in my bin! ????

And you're right, it is so brown and dead that I don't think it'll produce much smoke.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks, I thought the rubbish guys wouldn't take it. I used to hide some green grass cuttings under normal kitchen waste in the large plastic bag in my bin! ????

And you're right, it is so brown and dead that I don't think it'll produce much smoke.

As long as it's cut down to a fit in the garbage bad type size they'll take just about any garden stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Now have a very large plastic bag of tinder-dry grass to get rid of.

The wife and her father just burnt two large piles of tree clippings, which we do every couple of months, with no problems. The amount you have will be gone in 5 minutes if it is dry. Don't be a worry wort.

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The wife and her father just burnt two large piles of tree clippings, which we do every couple of months, with no problems. The amount you have will be gone in 5 minutes if it is dry. Don't be a worry wort.

And when hundreds of thousands of people do it, no need to be a worry wart, right?

If you wish to make excuse for selfish and irresponsible land management  practice, it is your choice, but please even the most basic of gardeners understands the benefit of recycling and composting. Would it kill you to have a compost pit or to dig a hole and bury the clippings? 

Quite a laugh reading these replies!  ???? 

So, as I don't know any oxen, or anyone who owns any, and I like being a worrywart, but also like burning stuff, I will put the bag out tonight by my rubbish bin because the rubbish collectors usually come on Wednesdays.

But if the bag is still there after they've emptied the bin, then I'm going to have a bonfire, just as soon as the wind drops in the evening.

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Some real cute advice on here, don't worry about pollution or PM 2.5 just burn the buggar, well done people.

Do you drive a car, or motorbike? Then you put out so much more air pollution than a single burn of dry grass.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

And when hundreds of thousands of people do it, no need to be a worry wart, right?

If you wish to make excuse for selfish and irresponsible land management  practice, it is your choice, but please even the most basic of gardeners understands the benefit of recycling and composting. Would it kill you to have a compost pit or to dig a hole and bury the clippings? 

We do all that but burn the leftovers as we have over a hundred trees of our own that use the CO2, as well as the thousands of other trees in the neighborhood.

Make sure you read @KarenBravo above and stop using any form of motorised transport.