Facing 'crisis of century', EU threatens ban on COVID vaccine exports to UK

webfact

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/17/eu-threatens-to-halt-covid-vaccine-exports-to-uk-unless-it-gets-fair-share

right now we do not have enough vaccine but we are sending them abroad

so we have exported 41 doses

anyone knows how many doses the UK is exporting? I remember the question was asked by Von der Leyen to Jonhson last monday

... what i understand is the UK is not reciprocating  

indeed 

so they say "no export ban", but "Britain first"

.. and in the meantime most of our export go to the UK

and note the UK mostly makes the "inferior AZ vaccine" while the EU mostly manufactures the "best" Pfizer vaccine

well there must be an explanation?  Or is it just a repeat of the usual scenario with the Brits in the EU for the last 40 years?

"The Brits complain while in fact we are being taken for a ride"

Von der Leyen is right “we will have to reflect on how to make exports to vaccine-producing countries dependent on their level of openness. And on whether exports to countries who have higher vaccination rates than us are still proportionate.”

I'm OK to make sacrifices, to help countries really needing help, but I'm not OK to help a country with a high vaccination rate, which moreover is importing our vaccines and giving nothing in return.

Rubbish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Go and read our own postings. You have used the term Brexit not me.  You really need to keep up and direct your comment to the poster who you aimed it at who also I agree with by the way.

Well if Wikipedia say it then it must be true. There is a reason at universities and writing research papers that you can't use Wikipedia as references. They are considered a source that is questionable and they lie.

So in plain English do you think the EU has done a better job with the vaccine rollout than the UK?

So if it is not Brexit you talk about, what is it than that UK have paid so much for to EU? About Wikipedia, they as all internet and also written papers should be carefully used, but not accepted? I work as a teacher and researcher at an university so I know that they all could be used in academic writing. For internet (including Wikipedia) your quote should include the date you visited the site.

And no, I have never said that EU have done a better job than UK. What I said was that EU should learn to never trust UK.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You just don't answer questions do you.  I will break down in simple terms for you.

I never used the term Brexit. I said leaving the EU.

Using Wikipedia as a source is not acceptable because:

• Wikipedia is not considered scholarly
  • Wikipedia acknowledges that its information is not properly vetted
  • The site has included hoaxes
  • People have created and edited pages to drive traffic to other websites
  • Anyone can edit or vandalize the site

https://apuedge.com/why-you-cannot-use-wikipedia-as-an-academic-source/

If your university allows this then it is not a quality university.

So again, has the EU done a better job than the UK in its vaccine rollout? Its a simple yes or no, or will you refuse to answer this like the others.

Once again read my lips I have not said anything in that matter, just that UK not is not trustable.  About the university, you have to understand that how and what you can quote in an academical paper is not up to an individual university. it is decided on a much higher level.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

In this situation wouldn't you? I would take the AZ, and give the Pfizer-BioNTech to those who need it more than I do. 

Now it is interesting Brexiteers are OK with receiving 10 millions Pfizer doses from us, give nothing in return. 

.. And still play the victim!

Clearly you haven't read all the recent posts as you would have found that

And parts of the Pfizer vaccine are being made in East Yorkshire. which is in the UK

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Listen to Raab 

Keep in mind the UK is putting the vaccine produced in UK while denying the “lawfully contracted supplies” by the EU 

So he is lying to our face 

.. And then, the guy is "surprised" 

And when we ask AZ why they are not delivering their contracts.. 

What do you think?

I'm really tempted to believe we are being taken for a ride: the UK government is pretending they have no export ban, while doing exactly that. 

So the least we have to do is to stop sending the vaccines we manufacture to the UK now and serve our own citizens. 

If we want a fair balance of trade, we could send one dose of Pfizer-BioNTech against 2-3 doses of AstraZeneca - Oxford. 

Anyone not OK with that? Right now, we are sending 10 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech and getting zero in return. 

Are you VDL taking a break from EU commission business , Do you know that some of the ingredients for the Pfizer-BioNTech are produced in the UK and then exported to the EU

2 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Do not hesitate to share the reference again, so that we can examine this in detail. 

I suppose these supply chain were set up before Brexit.

In the future, none of our critical supply chains should be UK-dependent anymore. They were set up with the assumption that the UK was a reliable partner. Big mistake. 

References already posted suggest you read the thread

You mean like this one

EU pledges vaccine controls will not hit UK supplies

https://timesnewsexpress.com/news/business/eu-pledges-vaccine-controls-will-not-hit-uk-supplies/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Are you VDL taking a break from EU commission business , Do you know that some of the ingredients for the Pfizer-BioNTech are produced in the UK and then exported to the EU

Since when ingredients are ready made for use vaccines.....????  , no other defense line you could find ? ????

Edited by david555

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

So EU blocks the UK from receiving any  vaccine produced in the EU and the UK blocks any ingredients that the EU requires to produced the  vaccine in the EU. End result EU unable to produced any vaccine

you think so ...?  it should be serious delay or problem to find elsewhere but not impossible ..... but your side problem would also be there ..... maybe .... for other things.....start building electric supply facilities up more , as the French let already hear something few months before vaccine row.... 

A trade war can be a nasty thing  .....????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Same as for  the people from 27 countrys ....

It appears not

On Tuesday, Brussels criticised member states for having "unused reservoirs" of vaccines. EU member states have received 62.2 million vaccines under the bloc's joint procurement and administered 77 percent of those, which is about 48 million shots. About 14.8 million of those are AstraZeneca vaccines, with less than half – 7.3 million – being used. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/17/eu-may-trigger-little-used-emergency-article-122-clause-force/

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

It appears not

On Tuesday, Brussels criticised member states for having "unused reservoirs" of vaccines. EU member states have received 62.2 million vaccines under the bloc's joint procurement and administered 77 percent of those, which is about 48 million shots. About 14.8 million of those are AstraZeneca vaccines, with less than half – 7.3 million – being used. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/17/eu-may-trigger-little-used-emergency-article-122-clause-force/

Proves only that they blocked them and stored ...not yet use them ...as others i am sure The brexit gang would call it as  stolen ...as now it is only blocked ....up on waitng to common sense from your side & A.Z.  

BTW.... i would think in a very later state  A.Z. could exspect some claims from E.U. .......( just a thought ...)????

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comments removed
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It appears not

Not aware in detail about the vacc. roll out program   but as you U.K. start finding out now,as your program seems to stop at age 49 for same reason of not sure enough supply delivered .... the jabs must become in a certain time order  , and so must be sure to have enough delivered by the A.Z. contract , which is not ....,they start failing to do it seems ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Proves only that they blocked them and stored ...not yet use them ...as others i am sure The brexit gang would call it as  stolen ...as now it is only blocked ....up on waitng to common sense from your side & A.Z.  

BTW.... i would think in a very later state  A.Z. could exspect some claims from E.U. .......( just a thought ...)????

You need the read the Contract that AZ has with the EU, there is an clause there that states the EU will not take legal action against AZ