Thailand is the 54th happiest country in world

webfact

8 hours ago, Docno said:

I'm not convinced that these sorts of surveys are meaningful. For example, GDP per capita: it would seem to me that it would be also important to consider how that wealth is distributed (gini coefficient), in the hands of a very wealthy few or more evenly spread. We also know that there is a point at which more wealth does not equal more happiness... the curve flattens out. I doubt that's been considered. And what about things like crime rate and personal safety. That seems to be missing. People Singapore, for example, have less political freedom than Americans (and Singapore is much further down on the list), but they don't have to worry about gun crime and a woman can walk the streets alone past midnight without fearing for her safety. So one really has to ask oneself, the people of which country truly have freedom...  

Don't get too serious about a nonsense survey, not good for your happiness????

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Whatever happened to the "Land of Smiles?"

from the photo above,  i think it has now been renamed  the  "Land of Gums"

8 hours ago, Thujone said:

The two in the post pic look very similar to the two women outside a bar in Hua Hin beckoning to me and calling me handsome man.

Maybe NCC has seen them?

remember the topless housecleaner he talked about ?

Edited by rumak

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And now lets make a survey how many TV members would move to any of those countries even if they could live there forever without any visa hassle.

very few, I guess ! hotweather is very attractive ;  I have been in Sweden and Finland long time  ago in summer  ; Finland with thousands of lakes is wonderful, but ....  it's so cold,  in the north nights last 24 hours  in winter during many months  etc ...  moskitoes in summer  ; Swedish happy ? I have seen more drunk people in the streets than in any other countries , and I have read that rate of suicides is very high 

so this sort of survey for me is not complete, proof is Thailand, hot weather, good food, beautiful women, not expensive , beautiful landscapes  etc ... I am happy here, surely much more than I could be  in Finland 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

the United Kingdom (17) 

LOL REALLY!?  ????

for anyone that has been to the UK will know how miserable the weather and people can be. Stark contrast to Thailand 

Perhaps not for the many stuck in a tin hut in Isaan 40c+ in April,or relatives of 20,000 + killed on the roads each year (UK 1750) ...?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Having lived in both Thailand and he US, me and my Thai wife pretty much agree on the rankings.

She would have had us move from Singapore to the US directly, rather than my desire to retire in Thailand, but I'm an idiot and now get the 'I told you so' story!

My wife is starting to see all the glaring flaws with Thailand having lived outside the country for some time now.  Hard to say where we will end up in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2021 at 7:13 AM, drenddy said:

Happyness is subjective, but those indicators(healthcare, education and so on), not.

Anyways, I must reiterate, it is pure <deleted>....Scandinavians are not the most happy in the world.Of course, they can say that, they can share this perception about their one kind, but, for me, as outsider, it is completely false and, every time, I read about this kind of ratings and hear them ''oh, we are so happy'', for me, is pure arrogance, most of the time, driven by ignorance.

At one point, while I debated with some danes about danish healthcare system, ranked not in the best 15(according to a report), they could not accept it, as for them, it implies to be the best in the world, only because it's danish.

The only country, I think, they look up to, is Norway.

As a side note...The glorious nordic food, NOMA restaurant in Copenhagen, named best in the world, is not even close to traditional danish food, thats purely for tourists.I mean, these people eat chips with potatoes at Christmas dinner.

Now, no more rants about the happyiest depressants people in the Universe.

yes, correct.

And i think also Swedish, Switzerland countries in Europe, but also Uruguay country in the south of America continent can be in the list of best growing country, the only one country in the south America continent to be close to out of corruption is something noticeable too.

Let the Finns be happy if they feel like this. It should not be out of anyone in this forum. The happiness of Finns is due to everyday life experienced safety and trust in their system. The basic needs of all have been secured; Education, health care, democracy, the freedom of the word, etc. They are also the most pleasant taxpayers in the world because of this. There is no bigger alcohol or drug problem in Finland. The most common Finnish is quiet. Unnecessary laughing and talking is not a virtue that Finns appreciate. If a Finn doesn't smile, laugh or talk to you, does not mean that Finnish doesn't like you.

What a joke. Finland is one of the most miserable countries in the world, speaking from experience.

As ever, they are taking 'security' and 'stability' to represent 'happiness, when they are arguably its opposite. Take politics out of the equation, focus on the simple ability to laugh at life, and the results would be very different - the league table would possibly be reversed.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Derek said:

What a joke. Finland is one of the most miserable countries in the world, speaking from experience.

As ever, they are taking 'security' and 'stability' to represent 'happiness, when they are arguably its opposite. Take politics out of the equation, focus on the simple ability to laugh at life, and the results would be very different - the league table would possibly be reversed.

Happiness is the ability to drink beer and take a pretty young woman back to your home for the night for a reasonable price.

Thailand (and most of Asia) is happiness, the West is misery.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Derek said:

It is true the landscape of the Finnish mind is melancholy, but it does not mean life is unhappy. I am a melancholy serious normal Finnish man. Me makes happy most of my children's secured life in Finland. The Finnish system will take care of it. My ex thai wife lives in Finland and does not want to move back to Thailand from any price. She's happier in Finland than in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Naguu said:

<snip>

My ex thai wife lives in Finland and does not want to move back to Thailand from any price. She's happier in Finland than in Thailand. 

Never thought about that.

But wouldn't that be an interesting statistic to know how many Thai's, once they become permanent residents or citizens of some of those 'miserable' countries, to echo a few posters, ever return to the LoS happy happy as it is?

27 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Never thought about that.

But wouldn't that be an interesting statistic to know how many Thai's, once they become permanent residents or citizens of some of those 'miserable' countries, to echo a few posters, ever return to the LoS happy happy as it is?

It is all a matter of opinion...

33 minutes ago, ravip said:

It is all a matter of opinion...

Well it's not opinion so much, as what works at the time in whatever your view of happiness is.

People change, places change. What works today might not work next week for a myriad of reasons, happiness for sure being one of them, and isn't it ultimately what makes us happy, remembering of course this isn't a dress rehearsal for life

As I stated previously, my wife never wanted us to move from Singapore to Thailand, but I won that battle, but ultimately lost the war.

Vacations in Thailand are now what make us happy. My wife gets to see family and we can relax for a couple of weeks.

Now could that all change and we want to move back full time?

Possibly, but at this point in our lives we've probably hit the happiness sweet spot of a mix n match approach, for us at least

Edited by GinBoy2

On 3/22/2021 at 6:22 AM, webfact said:

Thailand ranked in 54th place overall, the same ranking as the previous year, was praised for its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Interesting as they have come out and said they hardly tested. No one knows the true numbers. Can a leopard change it's spots? Let's face it and I know it's only four but those beauties from the African continent that tested positive in quarantine never made the list. A uni doctor came out and said 100+ positives from a factory in SS was never published. 70ish in immigration lock up were confirmed and never made the count then BINGO they come out with 313 maybe a week later. The list which is that of smoke and mirrors is long and the true numbers like so many third world countries (esp. those under military control) are not to be trusted.

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

People change, places change. What works today might not work next week.

That's very true and important for people to remember who have long-term goals of eventually retiring to Thailand.  So many things can and will change over the course of our lives that will impact our decision on where to settle down.  Health, exchange rates, visa restrictions, any number of things could be contributing factors.

In our situation, my wife is now seeing the Thai government in a whole new light being outside the system and is absolutely disgusted by the way the country is conducting itself.  We still love Thailand and would like to keep an eye on how things progress going into the future, but as of right now with the current leadership - it is not looking good for anything other than annual trips to visit family and travel a bit.