When is the next model Fortuner due ?

Tuvoc

Our 2.8 Fortuner TRD Sport has just turned 2 years old (and 82,000km and counting!).  Has been absolutely brilliant and we'll replace it with another one, it is just a matter of when. We are wondering when to get a new one again. The current model is best described as a facelift - minor engine revisions, different lights, alloys etc.  I'm thinking that an entirely new model may be due early next year ?  Has anyone seen anything about it ?

The current one has been 100% reliable, just standard servicing but I guess it will need new tyres in next 20k or so, maybe things brake fluid/coolant change which is usually every 2-3 yrs, it should be due for an autobax fluid change, possibly brakes, and maybe some other items when it hits 100k.  That is all just maintenance of course, and the bill for all of that maybe 50,000 - 100,000 baht wouldn't in itself prompt a change, but has got us thinking.

Edited by Tuvoc

I can see that there will be a new model in 2022 for sure, but not sure when. Could be 9 months from now or 18 months.  I'd guess Qtr 1 2022, and at least one article suggests that a diesel-only version may not be available, the diesel would have some mild hybrid tech as well. Probably prices rises on this.

Having moved back to Aussie due to Covid. I noticed Fortuners are not very popular here, even though they start at 1,200,000bht. Why, there are better SUV's available and Fortuners get mixed reviews.

I've always been a Fortuner fan and they remain the best looking SUV on the road in Thailand. But it's time Toyota delivered a car that performs as well as it looks. And get rid of those hard plastics in the interiors.

I'd look at current and future Toyota SUV's in other markets to get an idea of which direction they will take. The new Toyota RAV4 has grown and gets excellent reviews. Chinese are selling an SUV called HAVAL for 860,000bht. Looks great and gets very good reviews. I'm not a fan of Chinese, but there's no denying they are improving and moving forward. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DavisH said:

If I was in this position I would keep the current vehicle, as resale is very high, even for old fortuners.

Even for lots of miles ? If it had 30,000km on it I would probably agree, but 82,000km ?

Both the Fortuner and the CR-V are overdue for styling changes.  My partner and I are waiting for the CR-V makeover and were disappointed at the very minor changes made to the current model.  And, hopefully, there will finally be a hybrid model.

I have no desire whatsoever for a Hybrid model. More complexity and more to go wrong. Even more reason to buy the current model Fortuner before end of the year before it changes to Hybrid.  Thinking about it now, that is what we will almost certainly do. Either that or commit to keeping the current one for 3-5 more years. Even simple engine stop-start is incredibly painful, first thing I do every time I hop into the Fortuner is press the button to disable that.

In a predominantly rural setting when the car is doing mainly continuous  highway running, hybrids are less useful

Edited by Tuvoc

4 hours ago, happyaussie said:

Having moved back to Aussie due to Covid. I noticed Fortuners are not very popular here

They have just recently been for sale in Australia 

This is probably why they are not so popular.

Wait a few years.

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Even for lots of miles ? If it had 30,000km on it I would probably agree, but 82,000km ?

82k is absolutely  nothing, I stuck 300+k on a  hilux with very  little  problems and sold it at almost what I pad for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkside Gray said:

A pig with lipstick! truck with back seats.

555 - Depends what you want to drive. If in a big city then Fortuner probably unneccessay but still a safe and confortable vehicle. I would choose that over a Yaris funds permitting. As upcountry then Fortuner is a great choice for ruggedness, comfort and reliability. I bought a new Vigo 3.0 Auto 4wd 4 door in 2005 as an alternative to the Fortuner which was a lot more expensive. It drove very well and the only gripe may have been the rear suspension but I didn't buy it for racing around in. A vehicle such as Fortuner/Vigo should be good for well over 300,000kms if looked after and serviced. Personally I would keep the current Fortuner although I do understand the OP wanting to replace it before hybrid becomes the only option.

14 hours ago, DavisH said:

I wouldn't expect the "new" fortuner will be much different from the current one. The last one ran from about 2005 and didn't change drastically. It still had the 3.0 and 4 speed auto for years. If I was in this positiion I would keep the current vehicle, as resale is very high, even for old fortuners.

Indeed, the first generation Fortuner had some facelifts but was basically the same car for 10 years (2005-2015). The second generation ( = current generation) might last 10 years also, maybe a bit shorter or longer depending on what competitors do. So far the fortuners seen to be selling quite well, still, so there is no real need to upgrade already. 

My guess is that they will wait a bit longer with a new model, and will introduce it with a hybrid engine which will be more expensive and therefore require an updated design (why buy an expensive hybrid if it looks the same as a 2015 fortuner?). 

I am still very happy with my 2017 TRD, and will not be selling it anytime soon. Pleasure to drive, maintenance has been cheap although the tires are up for replacement soon, and I see nothing better on the market for now (done a total of 35K so far in the past years but use is increasing with 25km a day to bring and pick up the kids from school). 

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, happyaussie said:

Having moved back to Aussie due to Covid. I noticed Fortuners are not very popular here, even though they start at 1,200,000bht. Why, there are better SUV's available and Fortuners get mixed reviews.

I've always been a Fortuner fan and they remain the best looking SUV on the road in Thailand. But it's time Toyota delivered a car that performs as well as it looks. And get rid of those hard plastics in the interiors.

I'd look at current and future Toyota SUV's in other markets to get an idea of which direction they will take. The new Toyota RAV4 has grown and gets excellent reviews. Chinese are selling an SUV called HAVAL for 860,000bht. Looks great and gets very good reviews. I'm not a fan of Chinese, but there's no denying they are improving and moving forward. 

The Chinese vehicles may be a great deal when compared to the Japanese,  however any cost savings at the front end will quickly disappear at the resale end, of course this doesn't matter if the plan is to keep the vehicle for the next 20 years. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I bought my diesel Fortuner new in 2005, finally in January 2021 it clocked up its first 100,000 km’s.

Only two things required replacement outside the standard Toyota dealership servicing was a new water pump fitted a few years ago. I think including the 10k service it was in for,  the bill came to just under Baht 9k. And in January this year it was Baht 15,000 as the front track control arms required replacing during the 100k service.

Outside the Toyota dealership I replaced 

Battery every 3 Years (Baht 3,100) and tyres (Baht 18,000) at 5 years

Low running cost compared to my other vehicles 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I can see that there will be a new model in 2022 for sure, but not sure when. Could be 9 months from now or 18 months.  I'd guess Qtr 1 2022, and at least one article suggests that a diesel-only version may not be available, the diesel would have some mild hybrid tech as well. Probably prices rises on this.

2005 fortuner launch
2012 fortuner minor change
2015 All new fortuner
2020 Fortuner minor change 

Probably 2024-2025 for all new facelift. 

Toyota doesn't like to risk and change to another facelift due to current selling very good. Much better then other brand which often doing facelift changes. 

You can join the fortuner group in FB. There are many insiders news. Many are working for toyota hq in thailand.  

6 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

In Thailand, the age of the car seems more important than the mlieage. Even old fortuners have asking priced of 400-500K on websites. Perhaps maybe cheaper when buying private.  

image.png

On 3/23/2021 at 9:06 AM, newnative said:

Both the Fortuner and the CR-V are overdue for styling changes.  My partner and I are waiting for the CR-V makeover and were disappointed at the very minor changes made to the current model.  And, hopefully, there will finally be a hybrid model.

This is the main problem with Honda CRV and Honda in general- they dump all their ancient technology engines on the Thai market with petrolversions (2 litre 2.4) years since discontinued elsewhere and the tiny 1.6 diesel again dumped years ago in Europe. I drove a hybrid in UK over 2 years ,impressive but no sign of it in Thailand. The problem is they’re charging premium prices !. Even HRV offering old 1.8 lump when Toyota Cross available with 1.8 hybrid. 
Don’t buy until they buck up their ideas !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

I bought my diesel Fortuner new in 2005, finally in January 2021 it clocked up its first 100,000 km’s.

Only two things required replacement outside the standard Toyota dealership servicing was a new water pump fitted a few years ago. I think including the 10k service it was in for,  the bill came to just under Baht 9k. And in January this year it was Baht 15,000 as the front track control arms required replacing during the 100k service.

Outside the Toyota dealership I replaced 

Battery every 3 Years (Baht 3,100) and tyres (Baht 18,000) at 5 years

Low running cost compared to my other vehicles 

Such a low annual mileage is not suitable for Diesel engines 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Such a low annual mileage is not suitable for Diesel engines 

Not necessarily. Depends how the mileage is accumulated.

- 2 x 60km journeys per week

- 14 x 8km journeys per week. 

Both are around 6,000km per year.

The first one is totally fine for a diesel engine and perhaps that is what is happening with the poster.  The second example is more problematic,  but less of a problem if there is no DPF or other emissions gear..

Edited by Tuvoc

My wife asked the Toyota dealer, and they confirmed that a new model is due next year. Not sure when.

Anyway, not sure what we will do but thanks all for your input.