Shockwave Therapy

I'm interested in this, but for gall stones.

My research so far has turned up information saying SWT is a common cure for Patellar tendonitis and is the preferred method for gall stones. Kidney stones, too. I don't remember where I read the tendonitis info, but it was in the last 10 days.

People use it for ED I have learned. These people tout a clinic but don't say where. I'm not in Thailand now. Maybe you can call them. https://www.infertilityaide.com/services/shockwave-therapy-for-erectile-dysfunction-thailand

I'm following this, and hope someone turns up with places, prices and, people. (Drs.)

I had it for tendonitis if the elbow.

Seemed to speed healing but hard to be sure. I am not aware of any particular risks. It wasn't cheap though.

Shockwave for tendonitis is different from that used to dissolve gallstones/kidney stones, different machines.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I had it for tendonitis if the elbow.

Seemed to speed healing but hard to be sure. I am not aware of any particular risks. It wasn't cheap though.

Shockwave for tendonitis is different from that used to dissolve gallstones/kidney stones, different machines.

Do you mind tell us where you got it done, how much it was and all the details I don't know to ask?

Has to be cheaper than having the gall bladder removed.

Thanks!

Just now, bshw4kr said:

Do you mind tell us where you got it done, how much it was and all the details I don't know to ask?

Has to be cheaper than having the gall bladder removed.

Thanks!

I did not have it done for gallstones. I had it done for tendonitis. Entirely different thing, different (and much smaller/less expensive) machine.

SWT is not done often for gallstones because  1) only works on fairly small stones  and (2) Even if successful the stones tend to recur.

Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgical procedures and not very expensive as surgeries go.  Maybe 40k at a government hospital, 200k at a private hospital (if open - laparoscopic would be higher)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I did not have it done for gallstones. I had it done for tendonitis. Entirely different thing, different (and much smaller/less expensive) machine.

SWT is not done often for gallstones because  1) only works on fairly small stones  and (2) Even if successful the stones tend to recur.

Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgical procedures and not very expensive as surgeries go.  Maybe 40k at a government hospital, 200k at a private hospital (if open - laparoscopic would be higher)

The thought of having my gall bladder removed is growing on me. Do you have a recommendation for a government hospital. I hear there are some really good ones.

3 hours ago, bshw4kr said:

The thought of having my gall bladder removed is growing on me. Do you have a recommendation for a government hospital. I hear there are some really good ones.

Where in Thailand are you?

Where was the problem diagnosed? Has surgery been recommended and if so by whom/what hospital?

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Where in Thailand are you?

Where was the problem diagnosed? Has surgery been recommended and if so by whom/what hospital?

I'm next door. I have one single 6/7 mm cholesterol gall stone seen by ultrasound several times.

I monitor it once a month or so. I get  a variety of related blood test done periodically, too. Getting bilirubin, creatinin, lipase, amylase, eGFR, GGT, albumin, total protein, and others, back today. So far, so good.

Surgery has been suggested, but I don't trust their skill set.

I can go anywhere, once I get back to Thailand. Finding a great doctor at a government hospital would be really nice. I'm familiar with St Louis hospital.

You have a lot of knowledge Sheryl, and you've been on this board a long time. Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by bshw4kr
a word

I can recommend a surgeon

5 hours ago, bshw4kr said:

I'm next door. I have one single 6/7 mm cholesterol gall stone seen by ultrasound several times.

I monitor it once a month or so. I get  a variety of related blood test done periodically, too. Getting bilirubin, creatinin, lipase, amylase, eGFR, GGT, albumin, total protein, and others, back today. So far, so good.

Surgery has been suggested, but I don't trust their skill set.

I can go anywhere, once I get back to Thailand. Finding a great doctor at a government hospital would be really nice. I'm familiar with St Louis hospital.

You have a lot of knowledge Sheryl, and you've been on this board a long time. Any advice would be appreciated!

Are you symptomatic? As surgery usually not recommended for asymptomatic stones. And if the symptoms are vague may warrant further investigation first to be sure really due to the gallstone and not just incidental to it.

I can recommend Dr. Narongsak Jongsiri  at St Louis (which is a private, not government, hospital, but non-profit).  https://saintlouis.wewyn.com/m/GENERAL_SURGERY

I see from their website that they currently offer laparoscopic GB removal for 130,000 which is excellent price  https://en.saintlouis.or.th/m/Medical  Open would be a bit less

For government hospitals, Chulalongkorn is excellent and has a quasi-private channel through its "after hours" clinic (13th floor of main OPD building, register in first floor then go up around 3-3:30 PM to make an appointment.). It will cost less there but you will have to make multiple trips (cannot make appointment except in person) and there is often a wait to get the initial appointment and then a longer wait to schedule surgery, lots of red tape etc. For people who do not live in Bangkok they added time involved may make it not much of a savings once hotel etc are factored in.  Any of the professors/asst profs at Chula should be fine for this

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I can recommend a surgeon

Are you symptomatic? As surgery usually not recommended for asymptomatic stones. And if the symptoms are vague may warrant further investigation first to be sure really due to the gallstone and not just incidental to it.

I can recommend Dr. Narongsak Jongsiri  at St Louis (which is a private, not government, hospital, but non-profit).  https://saintlouis.wewyn.com/m/GENERAL_SURGERY

I see from their website that they currently offer laparoscopic GB removal for 130,000 which is excellent price  https://en.saintlouis.or.th/m/Medical  Open would be a bit less

For government hospitals, Chulalongkorn is excellent and has a quasi-private channel through its "after hours" clinic (13th floor of main OPD building, register in first floor then go up around 3-3:30 PM to make an appointment.). It will cost less there but you will have to make multiple trips (cannot make appointment except in person) and there is often a wait to get the initial appointment and then a longer wait to schedule surgery, lots of red tape etc. For people who do not live in Bangkok they added time involved may make it not much of a savings once hotel etc are factored in.  Any of the professors/asst profs at Chula should be fine for this

First, thanks!

I'm symptomatic if I eat trigger foods. I feel a slight pressure where the stone is, but if I stick to a fruit/veg/fish diet, no pain. I'm listening to my body and ruling out things to make sure it's just a gall stone.

So far, all of the blood tests come back in my favor. I get a bladder test back in the morning and will be doing an MRI and a rectal before I leave. I'm saving the probes and scopes for Thailand.

I think, or hope, if I behave, I will be able to get moved and set up, then solve this issue.

I think you've been dishing out medical advice for about 8 years, if I remember correctly. You should write a book. Thanks again!

16 minutes ago, bshw4kr said:

First, thanks!

I'm symptomatic if I eat trigger foods. I feel a slight pressure where the stone is, but if I stick to a fruit/veg/fish diet, no pain. I'm listening to my body and ruling out things to make sure it's just a gall stone.

So far, all of the blood tests come back in my favor. I get a bladder test back in the morning and will be doing an MRI and a rectal before I leave. I'm saving the probes and scopes for Thailand.

I think, or hope, if I behave, I will be able to get moved and set up, then solve this issue.

I think you've been dishing out medical advice for about 8 years, if I remember correctly. You should write a book. Thanks again!

From what you say it is far from clear that you need to have your GB removed. See what surgeon advises but I think with such mild/vague symptoms and limited to after eating certain foods, many would recommend expectant management instead

• Like 1