Thailand reports 69 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

REUTERS file.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 69 new COVID-19 infections on Wednesday.

Of the new cases, 61 were local transmissions, while 9 were imported from people entering quarantine.

A further 107 people were discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

1,381 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre.

Most of the new cases were discovered in Bangkok, Samut Sakhon and one  in Pathum Thani.

Wednesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 28,349 with 92 deaths. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-24

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Complete nonsense.

Over 100,000 tests done in the past week. With 3% positivity rate (despite the testing being targeted to high risk groups/areas) which suggests the scope of testing is quite adequate.

http://nextcloud.dmsc.moph.go.th/index.php/s/mp5cc32JqSXszSS

Whenevre positivity rates have risen over the generally accepted 5% threshold testing has been increased. in keeping with standard international practice.

However you will still get the TVF experts ranting about lack of testing and the apocalypse being just around the corner. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Complete nonsense.

Over 100,000 tests done in the past week. With 3% positivity rate (despite the testing being targeted to high risk groups/areas) which suggests the scope of testing is quite adequate.

Whenevre positivity rates have risen over the generally accepted 5% threshold testing has been increased. in keeping with standard international practice.

I wonder why these figures are different from the MOPH Thai website that lists total PCR test at laboratories? The figures published on public web equate to anywhere from 2-6 a day recently?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Complete nonsense.

Have to say I'm not convinced on your link. It differs wildly to the official figures published daily here https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

that include the daily total number of laboratory tests.

For example here is the snapshot from official figures 1st - 11th Feb 

1st Feb: Total Tests = 6,024. Positive cases = 836. Positive Rate 13.8%

2nd Feb: Total Tests = 7,578. Positive cases = 836. Positive Rate 11%

3rd Feb: Total Tests = 9,720. Positive cases = 795. Positive Rate 8.2%

4th Feb: Total Tests = 8,506. Positive cases = 809. Positive Rate 9.5%

5th Feb: Total Tests = 9,822. Positive cases = 586. Positive Rate 6%

6th Feb: Total Tests = 5,736. Positive cases = 490. Positive Rate 8.5%

7th Feb: Total Tests = 5,564. Positive cases = 237. Positive Rate 4.2%

8th Feb: Total Tests = 8,027. Positive cases = 186. Positive Rate 4.2%

9th Feb: Total Tests = 5,564. Positive cases = 237. Positive Rate 4.2%

10th Feb: Total Tests = 5,564. Positive cases = 237. Positive Rate 4.2%

11th Feb: Total Tests = 5,564. Positive cases = 237. Positive Rate 4.2%

Now go to the spreadsheet you linked to and there is no match whatsoever? I wonder if you could explain what I'm missing here?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have to say I'm not convinced on your link. It differs wildly to the official figures published daily here https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Now go to the spreadsheet you linked to and there is no match whatsoever? I wonder if you could explain what I'm missing here?

My figures are from the MOPH website.  Check it again. http://nextcloud.dmsc.moph.go.th/index.php/s/mp5cc32JqSXszSS which is the MOPH lab database. It is more accurate than the daily dashboard numbers....which in any case do nto list number of tests performed.

I referred to the total for the period  16-21 March. Total is 104,557 tests with 3% positivity

Positive      Total tests

3/16/21 185 20141
3/17/21 83 18726
3/18/21 107 19697
3/19/21 110 18317
3/20/21 115 16202
3/21/21 348 11474

6 hours ago, Petey11 said:

I wonder why these figures are different from the MOPH Thai website that lists total PCR test at laboratories? The figures published on public web equate to anywhere from 2-6 a day recently?

What website do you refer to? These figures are from the MOPH lab database.

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My figures are from the MOPH website.  Check it again. http://nextcloud.dmsc.moph.go.th/index.php/s/mp5cc32JqSXszSS which is the MOPH lab database. It is more accurate than the daily dashboard numbers....which in any case do nto list number of tests performed.

I referred to the total for the period  16-21 March. Total is 104,557 tests with 3% positivity

Positive      Total tests

3/16/21 185 20141
3/17/21 83 18726
3/18/21 107 19697
3/19/21 110 18317
3/20/21 115 16202
3/21/21 348 11474

These are the official figures statistics and information as given out by the CCSA daily and published daily.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/situation.php Thai

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php Eng

16th March: Total Tests = 8,654. Positive cases = 149. 

17th March: Total Tests = 7,684. Positive cases = 248. 

18th March: Total Tests = 4,870. Positive cases = 92. 

19th March: Total Tests = 5,446. Positive cases = 100. 

20th March: Total Tests = 5,457. Positive cases = 119.

21st March: Total Tests = 2,898. Positive cases = 90. 

Total Test = 35,009. Total positive cases = 798. Positive Rate = 2.2% which of course is rather good.

Your spread sheet may be linked to the same website but they are not official figures? They have no reference or any notification as to what they refer to?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I believe this set of numbers  is only for the viral pneumonia surveillance program, which was set up about Jan 8, 2020.  It's their website. This program follows border surveillance, hospital admissions including walk ins, and some tracing.

Surge and migrant testing and who knows what are probably reported differently. Also note that Thailand figures on ourworldindata.com may be different again, and seem to be a summary. However, they are usually a week or two late.

I fully agree it is all confusing. I don't agree Thailand is not testing, rather, they are following standard international guidelines that recommend testing based on the percent of cases found. In fact, they tend to exceed them.

Edited by rabas

Just now, rabas said:

I believe this set of numbers  is only for the viral pneumonia surveillance program, which was set up about Jan 8, 2020.  Its their website. This program follows border surveillance, hospital admissions including walk ins, and some tracing.

Surge testing and migrant testing and who knows what are probably reported differently. Also note that Thailand figures on ourworldindata.com may be different again, and seem to be a summary. However, they are usually a week or two late.

I fully agree it is all confusing. I don't agree Thailand is not testing, rather, they are following standard international guidelines that recommend testing based on the percent of cases found. 

No that's not correct, the daily positive cases as reported from the spreadsheet also do not match daily reported figures by CCSA, you can check to see.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

No that's not correct, the daily positive cases as reported from the spreadsheet also do not match daily reported figures by CCSA, you can check to see.

I am talking about the testing numbers.

But what you say makes sense if they are reproting a subset of activity.

Edited by rabas

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well if on the spreadsheet the daily positive case count is wrong then its a good assumption that the test count is also wrong

You seem to suggest is that some centralized, national real-time reporting system is not adding up. I don't think there is such a system.

In order to show something is wrong, you must first know what it is.

Edited by rabas

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

You seem to suggest is that some centralized, national real-time reporting system is not adding up. I don't think there is such a system.

No I'm not suggesting anything, just pointing out the stark difference in a spreadsheet and the officail daily figures published in both testing and positive cases.

Its possible to make some speculation that the spreadsheet includes all tests not just PCR and also includes double tests for positive cases as apposed to the official figures which just count people tested? However then its still not adding up and does not explain the difference in the number of people daily being found positive.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Complete nonsense.

Yeah, because Thailand numbers don't bounce like a yoyo because of inconsistent and insufficient testing.

If they had been doing consistent and considered testing, Thailands numbers would be much more in line with countries that have been doing mass testing and whose graphs are much smoother - both in increase and decrease.

...they will find another pocket of 400+ infected people...when then expand their testing. Guaranteed.

Screen Shot 2564-03-25 at 12.31.47 PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

These are the official figures statistics and information as given out by the CCSA daily and published daily.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/situation.php Thai

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php Eng

16th March: Total Tests = 8,654. Positive cases = 149. 

17th March: Total Tests = 7,684. Positive cases = 248. 

18th March: Total Tests = 4,870. Positive cases = 92. 

19th March: Total Tests = 5,446. Positive cases = 100. 

20th March: Total Tests = 5,457. Positive cases = 119.

21st March: Total Tests = 2,898. Positive cases = 90. 

Total Test = 35,009. Total positive cases = 798. Positive Rate = 2.2% which of course is rather good.

Your spread sheet may be linked to the same website but they are not official figures? They have no reference or any notification as to what they refer to?

As explained several times this is the official lab data from the MOPH. it is not "linked" to the MOPH website, it is an MOPH website.

Thew daily situation reports, designed for mass public consumption,  which seem to be what you are using are incomplete and obviously not capturing all the tests perfromed. Which ones are missed, I can't say, but certainly the lab data is the most complete source as any COVID PCR test done must pass through one of the approved labs.

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As explained several times this is the official lab data from the MOPH. it is not "linked" to the MOPH website, it is an MOPH website.

Thew daily situation reports, designed for mass public consumption,  which seem to be what you are using are incomplete and obviously not capturing all the tests perfromed. Which ones are missed, I can't say, but certainly the lab data is the most complete source as any COVID PCR test done must pass through one of the approved labs.

I would ask the question why are the MOPH daily situation reports incomplete then or not showing the true lab tests. If they are publishing incomplete figures for mass consumption, what else are they not publishing true figures for? How can the public b confident that other figures been published daily are correct. It seems counter productive to publish lower testing figures than are actually taking place.

4 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

I would ask the question why are the MOPH daily situation reports incomplete then or not showing the true lab tests. If they are publishing incomplete figures for mass consumption, what else are they not publishing true figures for? How can the public b confident that other figures been published daily are correct. It seems counter productive to publish lower testing figures than are actually taking place.

They do not always have reports from all sources at the time the daily situation reports are issued. It is not that they are not showing "true lab results", it is that often some data is not available to them in time for the daily briefings. In fact I can recall hearing several times that the figures released did nto yet include results from mass screenings. And from the difference in the numbers I suspect it has to do with the logistical arrangements for mass screenings.

This obsession with exact number of tests and making sure every single set of numbers adds up consistently is pretty much an expat thing. The Thai public, for whom these press releases are intended, are generally content to know how many positive cases were found and where.

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Yeah, because Thailand numbers don't bounce like a yoyo because of inconsistent and insufficient testing.

If they had been doing consistent and considered testing, Thailands numbers would be much more in line with countries that have been doing mass testing and whose graphs are much smoother - both in increase and decrease.

...they will find another pocket of 400+ infected people...when then expand their testing. Guaranteed.

Screen Shot 2564-03-25 at 12.31.47 PM.png

Thailand has done very well by all international standards.

Blue is better.

Red is bad.

image.png.38c222c1689cbe0b5e3cd18a2e9b7df9.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually this is not a website its a self hosting cloud storage account with Nextcloud.com. MOPH have an account/sub domain and obviously have some of their files on there to share.

These probably are the complete lab tests carried out I agree and will include all tests, those that are doubled up and the 1000's of tests carried out on repatriation flights, quarantine etc so indeed there would be a far higher figure with all these totaled up. Those particular tests would have no need to be included in the daily official figures by CCSA as they are not really part of any active case finding or hospital walk ins.

The confusion is that this was not explained and so could only lead to uncertainty.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

Tests per confirmed case as graphs.  International recommendations suggest when you hit 5% you increase testing to lower it. Thailand maintains much better levels between 1 positive per 200 to 1000. You can see where they increase testing each time there is a spike.  Again.

High is good.

Low is bad.

image.png.4f757f184945100d30f1ef0d4745e5b5.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

They do not always have reports from all sources at the time the daily situation reports are issued. It is not that they are not showing "true lab results", it is that often some data is not available to them in time for the daily briefings. In fact I can recall hearing several times that the figures released did nto yet include results from mass screenings. And from the difference in the numbers I suspect it has to do with the logistical arrangements for mass screenings.

This obsession with exact number of tests and making sure every single set of numbers adds up consistently is pretty much an expat thing. The Thai public, for whom these press releases are intended, are generally content to know how many positive cases were found and where.

It's the same case in UK but overall the figures should still feed into published figures at some point. Figures in UK can lag by several days but are still reported. In Thai figures your stated 100000 tests should still feed into published figures at a later date. Compare the 100k you show on your table with the 36k on the MOPH site. By that reckoning we should see a huge surge in reported test numbers over the next week or so, unless they trickle them in over longer period, which would raise the question why?