Booking a business class flight to UK now- Good idea or not?

Scouse123

There are some very good return business class flight deals to the UK being advertised at the moment if you purchase them this month.

Etihad and Qatar are offering business class deals around 1450-1500 GBP. I am looking at buying now, as the special offers are on, but travelling in late September returning early October.

My son is booking a month off in October from his firm in the UK to return to Thailand with me.

Surely, we should be out of the woods by then taking an educated guess?  If I book direct with the airlines as opposed to agents, I should be covered if things take a turn for the worse.

However, different points of view will always be listened to from TVF members, Anybody else thinking about doing this?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

"Surely, we should be out of the woods by then taking an educated guess?"

That's what most people were saying last March.

Until a sizable proportion of the Thai population are vacinated, expect a Mandatory hotel quarantine when returning to Thailand.

Also be careful where you transit through. If that country is in a Red zone, then you may need to quarantine in UK.

I thought if we were only air side and not landed then we weren't classed as entering a country regarding red zone countries?

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

I booked return flights with Emirates a year ago. Normally it's £300 each person each change , however the T's+c's of my tickets are fee free changes. I'd look carefully at the change options as it's anyone's guess presently when and where will be free from travel restrictions.

£1500 is a good price, normally I've been paying £2800.  I'd personally always book direct with the airline as the critical information on cancellations/refunds/changes etc. can  (and often do ) get interpreted incorrectly by agents.

Let me know what you find in the detail when you finally book. Thanks.

Will do!

9 minutes ago, VBF said:

Not fake. What @Joe Farang said is correct - if you fly, say from Thailand to UK on Emirates, you change aircraft in Dubai. All the UAE is presently in the UK's "red zone" thus you will have to quarantine  in a hotel at your expense upon arriving in UK

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transport-measures-to-protect-the-uk-from-variant-strains-of-covid-19

"If you have been in or through any of the countries listed below....."

As you rightly say, all such rules are subject to change.

Same with Qatar transiting via Doha :( 

Other thing to watch out with Qatar is their basic Business Class tickets no longer include lounge access or seat booking, I have vouchers for a couple of Business Class return tickets originally booked in Q-Suites BKK-Man for May 2020 & am a bit p155ed off to find out it's now basically Premium economy with a bit of extra leg room :|

Will still be using them as soon as I can though (been 18 months since I've visited family in the UK).

• Thanks 2

The way I'd look at it is, do you see any reason that the prices would go up & the offer would not be extended / enhanced?

At the moment, it's low-season, very few tourists in and out, Thai's aren't flying back so I can't see a reason for an increase in numbers/price.

Hanging off may bring a little further clarity re positions in both countries.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

basic Business Class tickets no longer include lounge access or seat booking

Blimey that's  just terrible, but then it's  like  economy now  has 10000000000000 different  classes, crazy and not easy to navigate through at  all.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Will do!

I have taken a chance and just booked with Emirates for about the same time. I also had flights with Emirates last year and when the flights were cancelled opted for the vouchers and was quite impressed with the speed of response.

I have just converted the vouchers into 2 trips, Sept and Dec. The process was very easy, one flight was less than the voucher and I had a new voucher for the balance within minutes and then used that with the other voucher and a small balance in cash for the other trip.

Emirates currently offer insurance with the booking but that is due to end 31st March.

For  anyone with vouchers, it would appear that validity on all vouchers issued in respect of covid is until 19th May 2022.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have taken a chance and just booked with Emirates for about the same time. I also had flights with Emirates last year and when the flights were cancelled opted for the vouchers and was quite impressed with the speed of response.

I have just converted the vouchers into 2 trips, Sept and Dec. The process was very easy, one flight was less than the voucher and I had a new voucher for the balance within minutes and then used that with the other voucher and a small balance in cash for the other trip.

Emirates currently offer insurance with the booking but that is due to end 31st March.

For  anyone with vouchers, it would appear that validity on all vouchers issued in respect of covid is until 19th May 2022.

Which is why I didn't  accept  vouchers and also bcause THEY  cancelled  my flight leaving me  in a much better position.

3 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Which is why I didn't  accept  vouchers and also bcause THEY  cancelled  my flight leaving me  in a much better position.

You omitted to say "why".

Emirates cancelled my flights so why should you be in a better position.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You omitted to say "why".

Emirates cancelled my flights so why should you be in a better position.

duh?COVID,  if an airline cancels  your  flight you have rights  to a  REFUND, if  you  cancel  your  flights  due to covid you are  only entitled to vouchers. You just said "when the flights  were cancelled"  you  didn't  say if YOU cancelled them or Emirates, it makes a  big  difference to what you can get legally  from them.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

duh?COVID,  if an airline cancels  your  flight you have rights  to a  REFUND, if  you  cancel  your  flights  due to covid you are  only entitled to vouchers.

What part of this are you finding difficult   "Emirates cancelled my flights ".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What part of this are you finding difficult   "Emirates cancelled my flights ".

What part aren't you understanding, in your ORIGINAL  post you said "when my flights were cancelled   "you did  not specify  "who"  cancelled them until AFTER that and thats  very important for what you are entitled to, ie  vouchers ONLY if  you cancel or refund or  vouchers if THEY cancel

Edited by gunderhill
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I thought if we were only air side and not landed then we weren't classed as entering a country regarding red zone countries?

If you are going inot the Terminal then it is still classed as RED as other people from that country also use the terminal. This is what we were advised and we had to switch to travelling via Turkey.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

The way I'd look at it is, do you see any reason that the prices would go up & the offer would not be extended / enhanced?

At the moment, it's low-season, very few tourists in and out, Thai's aren't flying back so I can't see a reason for an increase in numbers/price.

Hanging off may bring a little further clarity re positions in both countries.

lol sorry but i found this hilarious at the moment its low season so very few tourists in and out.....did you think before posting that comment. I would say it is more becasue of Coived there are no tourists and it wouldnt matter if it was low or high season there would still be little or no tourists.

I would say when things are getting back to some kind iof normality and there are a rush on flights prices may change.

Edited by stretch5163
spelling
  • Like 1

What part aren't you understanding, in your ORIGINAL  post you said "when my flights were cancelled   "you did  not specify  "who"  cancelled them until AFTER that and thats  very important for what you are entitled too, ie  vouchers ONLY if  you cancel or refund or  vouchers if THEY cancel

Obviously your weakness in the English language caused you to jump to conclusions.

if you wish to try and air some superior knowledge on airline procedures do not use my post.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Obviously your weakness in the English language caused you to jump to conclusions.

if you wish to try and air some superior knowledge on airline procedures do not use my post.

I can use whoevers  post  I  like, if you don't like it  don't post in a public  forum,  you clearly did  not state WHO cancelled the ticket and it  would be helpful to other posters who don't  know what you can and cannot get from  the airlines, but  you keep  banging away with your rhetoric, Ill  leave you to it.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, stretch5163 said:

I would say when things are getting back to some kind iof normality and there are a rush on flights prices may change.

I would think that is almost a foregone certainty. With every airline in the world having suffered during the pandemic they will all be looking to increase profits as soon as they can. More a question of when rather than if.

I can use whoevers  post  I  like, if you don't like it  don't post in a public  forum,  you clearly did  not state WHO cancelled the ticket and it  would be helpful to other posters who don't  know what you can and cannot get from  the airlines, but  you keep  banging away with your rhetoric, Ill  leave you to it.

Poor face saving exercise.

23 minutes ago, polpott said:

Currently Emirates, Qatar and Etihad not flying to UK. I think Oman Air now the same. No date for flights to restart.

Same for British Airways - I have a voucher but it is currently unredeemable due to them having no flights from Thailand. When I tried to get a refund on my voucher they told me flights 'may resume' from October 1.

Valid till April 2022 but I can't see me using it to visit Scotland over the winter.

Seems unfair if you just can't use it.

For tickets booked before the end of April for travel thru the end of 2021, Qatar tickets are fully refundable. Details on their website. 

I have booked and canceled two round trip business class tickets in the past 3 months. In both cases the refund was back in my credit card account in 5 days. You could book flights, and if something changes or you find a cheaper one on another carrier you could get a refund. I did have to call to cancel rather than using the website. 

If you find a good fare, I'd book it now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, LouisdariPhuket said:

Surely there are other airlines one can choose from to return to the UK such as Thai Airways, Air France, KLM, Lufthansa or Singapore Airlines.  Why is there a perennial obsession over the 'Big Three' Middle Eastern carriers?  

I need to arrive in Manchester. Traditionally the Middle Eastern airlines had the most flights and were cheaper. I also prefer my stopover mid journey. However, need to book a flight today and am mulling between transfer in Holland and Finland. Probably go with Finland as situation is deteriorating rapidly in Holland and may be declared a red zone before my flight.

• Like 2