Thailand to introduce new road checkpoints from 1 April - here’s what you need to know

webfact

5pm.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

The D-Day for the new style Royal Thai Police checkpoints on the Thai roads is tomorrow - April 1st. 

And Thaivisa reports that it is no joke - the RTP will be keeping a watch on themselves as much as the public.

Naew Na reported in their headline that drunks, drug users and street racers would need to watch out.

But the police would also need to make sure they are following new RTP chief Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk's new checkpoint regulations to the letter.

His deputy in charge of special ops Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat said that it was all about transparency and public confidence.

Mobile CCTV cameras will be in operation to make sure that everything is above board.

This along with tech like helmet and body cams will ensure the police are doing their job properly and the public who are caught won't have loopholes to escape justice. 

In addition to clear signage at the stops, there will be the 1599 hotline number clearly visiible so the public can report any RTP wrongdoing. The number of the local chief will also be on display. 

All traffic, alcohol, pollution and crime checkpoints will follow Suwat's new policies, part of the TPCC - Traffic Police Checkpoint Control measures. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Can I phone the 1599 number to report police waving through vehicles that are obviously overloaded/dangerously loaded or unfit for the road? It'd be a "RTP wrongdoing" so I guess it'd be welcomed.

Worth a try, no shortage of offenders in the categories you mention. Should keep the buggers busy but I have my doubts...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Mobile CCTV cameras will be in operation to make sure that everything is above board.

That is surely a joke, like the camera that covered the place i had my accident, the time of the accident coverage managed to disappear.

• Like 2

"Can I phone the 1599 number to report police waving through vehicles that are obviously overloaded/dangerously loaded or unfit for the road? It'd be a "RTP wrongdoing" so I guess it'd be welcomed."

------------------------

Be sure to use a burner phone!

Edited by Curt1591

On 3/31/2021 at 11:24 AM, webfact said:
This along with tech like helmet and body cams will ensure the police are doing their job properly and the public who are caught won't have loopholes to escape justice. 

In addition to clear signage at the stops, there will be the 1599 hotline number clearly visiible so the public can report any RTP wrongdoing. The number of the local chief will also be on display. 

They did not hang about in my area out at 9 am this morning .

Re the above,no body and helmet cams on anyone , no 1599 on display, they did have one  CCTV  camera 

Quite a few unhappy looking people about ,getting fined for what ever the infringement was.  

They were out in my patch this morning. No signs, just a pick up and a bike parked in a lay by, half a dozen cones in the road, with a copper at each end waving those red batons to direct those selected into the lay by where a couple more waited to collect the cash. No signage, no video cameras, business as usual!

On 3/31/2021 at 11:44 AM, MartinL said:

Can I phone the 1599 number to report police waving through vehicles that are obviously overloaded/dangerously loaded or unfit for the road? It'd be a "RTP wrongdoing" so I guess it'd be welcomed.

Can you afford the phone bill??

No matter what I am glad to see the Thai police are making an effort to curb the traffic fatalities here. Get the drunks and drugys off the roads, check the motor bikes that all lights are functioning and all passenger's have a helmet with no more than three passengers per bike, this I believe is most important to the safety of the motorbike riders. All vehicles must be road worthy and have had the vehicle checked at an inspection station when ten years has passed and a windshield sticker in place. 

• Haha 1

Everyday I see quite a few cars with the rear number plate removed obviously so that if they're involved in an accident they cannot be identified. They can hardly claim the plate has been stolen as most of them replace the screws hmm... very thoughtful thieves??

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bt2017 said:

Everyday I see quite a few cars with the rear number plate removed obviously so that if they're involved in an accident they cannot be identified. They can hardly claim the plate has been stolen as most of them replace the screws hmm... very thoughtful thieves??

nobody remove black color on plates but car wash. It happened to me on different cars, so get your facts right before speaking or you might look ridiculous.