Government House bans a female Thai reporter for alleged cultural faux pas

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The temporary ban followed an incident, during a press conference by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha at Government House on Tuesday, when the prime minister politely asked the reporter in question, who was sitting crossed legged with one leg pointing at the podium, to sit differently.

Ahhh, the cultural foibles of the easily offended Thai.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Surely an April fools day joke, if it is true how can they ban a reporter for having a negative attitude, she is there reporting on a negative bunch of loonies anyway.

I will report about 879 bar girls. They always point with their feet towards me.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As I understand it, you can not point your foot at anybody here in Thailand or it is seen as a bad thing and a negative attitude.  Guess when I go out to dinner and I see all of the Thais sitting in the chairs or on BTS with a leg crossed over the other and the toes pointing towards others they are in violation of this cultural law.  Time to get the cultural ministry police involved and start fining people.  On another cultural issue involving money, I watched yesterday as a Thai lady dropped a 20 baht note and the wind started to blow it, instead of just putting her foot down to stop it and then picking it up she kept chasing it until it hit the street and the note was run over by a car.  What's worse the face on the note being stepped on or being run over...just saying.  Yes I understand the culture but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta due.

She later reported the driver of the car for reckless driving and killing her 20Baht note. 

Meanwhile, the driver has been located and can expect a 5 year sentence in hotel Hilton.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Embarrassing for who? I think it's funny and highly entertaining!

A laugh a minute, and that's without the nonsense input  from the "politicians"..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It's normal posture, for a woman to sit with her legs crossed.

Also believe it would be the lower leg not the upper leg.

Yes, we understand the foot pointing thing but honestly, get with the program and move into the modern age.

He probably didn't want her to cross her legs but open them a bit more to see if there is no illegal substance hidden.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Thousands of Thai's are politely asking the Prime Minister to leave permanantly...when will he listen to them?

Not wanting to defend anyone here, just to be a devil's advocate. Maybe there are thousands of Thais who do not want him to leave. ???????? (There will be another election in a few years)

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Confused 2

It's the distraction strategy. This is what made the news, not what he said. He could, and probably did, say nothing important. So, to hide that fact, raise a 'cultural issue' with a reporter for a foreign company.

Pathetic, but a typical politician's ploy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

leaving her foot pointing at the podium, where the prime minister was

Whilst observing a drugs trial at a Provincial Court in Northern Thailand, when I was a Tourist Police Volunteer, a court usher approached me and told me not to sit with my legs crossed whilst the judge was present in court - not the done thing!!

Crossed Legs Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

He probably didn't want her to cross her legs but open them a bit more to see if there is no illegal substance hidden.

or could it be she was uttering khrap instead of ka, and he wanted to be sure he wasn't caught out actually leering at a woman?

57 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I am really surprised he didn't throw a banana peel at her. Because that seems to culturally acceptable... at least in HIS mind.

He could have at least sprayed her with hand sanitizer!

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A beaver shot perhaps.....

She was pointing at him with her beaver, not her foot.

She lifted up her leg and and foot and peed on him, just like a beaver.

Edited by DerbyDan

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

"Government House bans a female Thai reporter for alleged cultural faux pas"

"Government House bans a female Thai reporter for crossing her legs"......would have been a much better title.

If it had been a Japanese woman doing the same...???

the last sunday the very same reporter was ordered by a group of riot police to stop recording and after that she was followed by an officer who pressed rubber bullet gun against her shoulder.

Another officer followed and apologised to her saying "nothing has happen".

She had a very right to ask the PM question about this accident and have a reasonable answer - she instead was ignored and banned

https://www.thaienquirer.com/25905/exclusive-riot-police-threatened-journalist-at-gun-point-in-weekend-protest

Edited by internationalism

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

the last sunday the very same reporter was ordered by a group of riot police to stop recording and after that she was followed by an officer who pressed rubber bullet gun against her shoulder.

Another officer followed and apologised to her saying "nothing has happen".

She had a very right to ask the PM question about this accident and have a reasonable answer - she instead was ignored and banned

https://www.thaienquirer.com/25905/exclusive-riot-police-threatened-journalist-at-gun-point-in-weekend-protest

Must be a mis-understanding as no Thai would do that..... 

• Like 1