Interesting to compare between Panama and Thailand

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Each country needs to decide on its priorities. Panama has had about 1,400 deaths from Covid-19 per million population. A similar death toll in Thailand would mean almost 100,000 deaths instead of the current 94. I personally agree that saving almost 100,000 lives of your citizens is worth restrictions on tourism. Others might have a different sense of the priorities.

Also Panama is not a manufacturing center. 

Tourism in Thailand represent 13% of GDP, and though significant , it is not  existential.  26%  wof Thailand GDP is derived from manufacturing, where panamas is 5%.  A substantial increase in  covid cases in Thailand as compared to Panama, would crimple the Thai economy and present an existential economic danger. 

• Like 2

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/panama/coronavirus

Panama is currently under a state of emergency, and a curfew is in place.

Measures in place to combat the spread

Nationwide measures

From 15 February, there is a nationwide daily mandated curfew from 10pm until 4am. Stricter provincial measures may also apply. Subject to provincial measures, leaving your home/accommodation is permitted between the hours of 4am and 10pm, unless you have any symptoms of COVID-19, or have otherwise been ordered to quarantine by the Panamanian authorities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/central-america/panama/crime-and-drugs-panama

Crime levels are high, and we're not talking about petty theft here. Violent crime such as armed robberies (which have been known to occur in restaurants), shootings, rape, muggings, car theft, car jackings, and ‘express kidnappings' from ATMs, just to name a few – and that's just in Panama city.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Tim, you and I both know the Thai figures are bs. It is just not statistically possible where thruput of chinese/foreigners is taken into consideration. Whatever.

There has been no "thruput" since March 2020, when borders were closed to all.  Only visitors  allowed into Thailand have had to go through required 14 day quarantine since last October/November.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

There has been no "thruput" since March 2020, when borders were closed to all.  Only visitors  allowed into Thailand have had to go through required 14 day quarantine since last October/November.

Every country was/is under reporting. Thai officials have admitted this. But as you say, the borders are closed. So I doubt their numbers are off by much. A bit for sure.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

Each country needs to decide on its priorities. Panama has had about 1,400 deaths from Covid-19 per million population. A similar death toll in Thailand would mean almost 100,000 deaths instead of the current 94. I personally agree that saving almost 100,000 lives of your citizens is worth restrictions on tourism. Others might have a different sense of the priorities.

My friends moved from Thailand to Panama 10 years ago. Start was tough although they spoke sufficient Spanish to get by.

Pandemic: they still have a curfew from what I was told 2 weeks ago. For months they could not buy alcohol  resp quantities were restricted. Panama had a tough time with tough measures. Vaccination has made a slow start.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is no guarantee that their numbers of Covid-19 deaths are correct. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

Mexico is similar. 

I ruled Mexico out. Lived all over for about 6 months as a poszible alternative to asia, since it's much easier from the usa.

The women were Ok, but the guys sucked big time. Must be the machismo culture. You just could not avoid them even if you try. I even cut my trip early and got out.

I'm hoping Panama, will be better in that regard, a tad more upscale, and still have the beaches.

After reading about it it no longer looks to great: 

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, GeKoSc said:

There is no guarantee that their numbers of Covid-19 deaths are correct. 

Indeed, in most countries the number of deaths from Covid-19 have been undercounted, especially in the early stages. Another issue is that many countries do not count Covid-19 deaths that occur over a month after the original infection which are a direct result of organ damage wrought by the virus. However, the Thai figures are in the right general ballpark. The true number of death is probably less than double the official figure. Large outbreaks that involved foreigners could not be hushed up.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:16 AM, glegolo said:

I do fully agree with you on this. I personally do not as a swede wish to have my fellow countrymen coming here offering both their Covid-19 AND their "bad behavior" when it comes to spread this <deleted>. The egoism among too many of the swedes are a VERY good reason to keep them out of here.

So Panama, good or bad, up to you, your country,, Maybe this little area/country is controlled by other factors than the local goverment. Maybe money/families dictates what goes on in Panama..???

glegolo

Maybe money/families dictates what goes on in Panama..??? Is there any country in the world where money is more important to a government than it is here? We have an unelected soldier who tries to be a politician, who  buys submarines, wants to send rockets to the moon, and now also wants to start some kind of space programme while millions of Thai people are badly affected by this pandemic, by losing their jobs and livelihood.

• Thanks 2

On 4/3/2021 at 4:48 AM, BritTim said:

Thailand has 16 times as many people as Panama. 16 times 1400 is about 22000 deaths. Don't exagerate!

• Like 1