Camping: Anyone Done It Lately? Where/When Is Good?

I just drove around south Thailand for a month. I learned that some national parks allow camping, and some even have tents to rent and other things to make it easy. One day I drove to Kui Buri National Park from Hua Hin. Unfortunately, it was closed (but I still enjoyed being up there). I was also in Khao Lak and thought about checking out Khao Sok National Park near there...but then I got too much sun while snorkeling one day, and just didn't want to be out in the hot sun and high humidity. And it's also possible they don't allow camping now (due to covid).

While I'm sure 'cool season' would be a better time to contemplate camping in the country, is it possible there's a place to do it now where it could be comfortable? Like, maybe up in some high hills it could be comfortable; at least mornings and evenings? If they had showers or swimmable streams or lakes, then you could rinse off when it got too hot.... Thanks for any *helpful* advice/info.

• Like 1

If you've got your own tent, then yes you can camp in pretty much all the national parks in Thailand.

Nakhon Si Thammarat, Ranong, Kanchanaburi, and Mae Hong Son offer some of the nicest spots without the crowds of some other places.

• Like 2

I have camped here, but never successfully at a national park!

I once arrived at the campsite in Sam Roi Yod NP. Beautiful site, clean toilets, restaurant, quiet and peaceful, everything you could want. I was just about to pull out the tent etc., when 4 coachloads of schoolkids arrived! Bedlam! My wife and I looked at each other, shrugged, and went to a hotel near the beach.

Chiang Mai Province, can't remember the name of the Park - same-same!

Van Chan Phen near Wattana Nakhon is a nice resort and campsite, owned by a German and his wife, with an airstrip and associated activities. 

Vanchanphen
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8FsuFFcQTTZ3zRSeA

• Like 2

we normally go to khao kho every other weekend 1 weekend beach Jomtien..1 weekend in the mountains.. depends what you are looking for in respect of comfort there are tents you can rent or take your own or go Glamping .. camping at another level we do the basic take our tent and equipment kids love it ..

If you're into combat camping, try Pilok Village, near Myanmar.  We didn't have a tent, so stayed in a guest house, but the hundreds (thousands?) of campers sure looked like they were having fun.   Piled in a little too crowded for my taste, but a good time was had by most, if not all.

It gives a whole new dimension to the phrase MOFN.  With a few hours on what we'd have called the Ho Chi Minh trail back when I was a kid.  With quite a few road washouts, from a recent storm.   

Still, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

national parks charge entry fee some 300-500b, and sometimes it's time limited (on some islands only 3 days), so if you plan to stay short 1-2 night might be better to avoid them. Pitching your own tent 30b. You can rent small tents 150b, large 250,  and they are not necessary new and very clean - for that money you can look for some basic accommodation outside park.

there are also Forest Parks under department of national parks, free entry, and you can camp for free, just asking permission.  There are not many of them, around same as national parks. Just search on google maps for "forest park" on your route. They have bathrooms, electricity. You can stay unlimited time and rules are lesser than in national parks (they would tolerate moderate alkohol drinking) 

I do travel with dogs, so friends stay in resort, hotel and I am in the extended gardens, unused parking lot, possible under a roof. Usually they allow me, often they know me from previous visits. On departure I offer them a bar of foreign chocolate as a "thank you". The cheapest places would allow proper camping for around 100b or at least bathroom/taking shower (and doing fast laundry) for 10b, but I would rather get a room and rest properly on the bed with running fan.

I do have a tent, but rather sleep in the car on folded flat chairs. If no mosquito I would sleep rough by the river on some veranda. For 1 night it's fine, but quality of sleep is not grate. Just good experience and good memories.

It's possible to pitch on the beach. I did 2 nights just behind tourist police boot in Ban Phe. 

There are many abandoned, empty buildings (guesthouses, restaurants) by the rivers and sea, some might still have running water, electricity. Those places are dirty so I would put up a tent for a night, but at least I have a flat floor and roof in case of rain. In one empty resort I logged into wifi entering resort's name. For several nights I have slept on a table in a temporary closed beach restaurant in Puek Tian (with security guard patrolling an estate ignoring me). 

Edited by internationalism