The week that was in Thailand news: Sugar and mental health are no laughing matter - unlike April 1st!

rooster59

I’ve noticed some very vocal regulars have disappeared or have become a lot less regular, and there are still some who I wish would become a lot less regular.

i don’t think my checking in habits have changed much unless perhaps I check more frequently because I spend so much more time at home. Normally my out of country time would be between 30% and 50% of the year.

For certain things TVF is an amazing resource, visas being the most obvious but on other topics 100 replies will get you 100 opinions most of which are instantly dismissible. It would nevertheless be a sad day that we witness the demise of TVF.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 7:07 PM, rooster59 said:

Another story that caught Rooster’s beady eye this week was the fact that 10 million Thais are suffering (mostly in silence) from mental health conditions and one million of these have Bipolar Disorder. 

A very good column this week I thought. It was great to read and understand some of the author's contemplative thoughts. Obviously there is a huge plus side to 2 decades of teaching at the top level - not only in terms of personal development and achievement, but in setting a positive role model for so many students.

I reckon mental health is a huge issue in Thailand. Many of the stories one reads in TV about posters having trouble with Thai wives / girlfriends stem from mental health issues (with the wife / girlfriend).

Mental health still has such a big stigma in the western world. Here in Thailand it is recognised, but not really taken seriously including by those affected (e.g. it is not part of 'Thainess' just as April Fools Day is apparently not part of 'Thainess'). Maybe it is seen as just a western thing. It is also hard for Thai people to take medicines for life. Once they feel better, they will often stop and the problem will come back. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 6:07 AM, rooster59 said:

In addition I married a Thai woman who I later discovered was an untreated schizophrenic. No wonder the sparks flew and the children fled for cover.

Schizophrenia doesn't develop overnight.  It's usually diagnosed in the 20s - 30s.

Either you married someone you didn't know very well or you ignored the symptoms. ????

On 4/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

What does the future hold for TVF? I used to look at it several times a day, but that has been reduced to a couple of times a week, if that. Now, when I visit, I get a mental image of being in the back seat of an old, two-seat Bi-Plane and the pilot is slumped over the steering thingy; mentally, I keep shouting "Wake Up! Pull Up! Wake Up! Pull Up!" but I am losing hope that he will hear me in time.

I agree and,

What's interesting is there now appears to be well under 200 regular posters, and nearly all the well known poster names have gone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

With respect Rooster,

Fact: sugar is not a drug

Fact: sugar does not cause obesity

Fact: sugar does not cause diabetes.

When people talk about sugar making them fat, they are talking about chocolate (50% fat), ice cream (50% fat), doughnuts (50% fat).  There's a clue in the name ... fat.

7 years ago Chef Jamie Oliver blamed sugar for childhood obesity. The UK government responded with a sugar tax on fizzy drinks.  Counties who've adopted this nonsense have gotten fatter.

Why don't people get caught at customs with bags of sugar strapped to their body?  Why is there not a 12 step program for sugar? Because it's  NOT a drug.   Coffee on the other hand is a neurotoxin.  People who need coffee in the morning are often those avoiding carbs and scared of sugar. Why aren't people banging on about how bad coffee is for us?

Type 2 diabeties is cause by a high fatty diet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:03 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Wake Up! Pull Up! Wake Up! Pull Up!

It's fairly obvious from the paucity of posts that the forum seems to be in a "crash and burn" situation reminiscent of the demise of the Amazon forums.

Various functions ceased and sub forums were shut down or stopped being supported leading to the members being "shed" and going elsewhere...then came the chop...

I have always viewed Rooster's column in reasonably neutral terms except for a period of time there when the rising Baht sent many pensioners as close to the wall as it was possible to get.After that I read them with a great deal more caution.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

Good to read your account of you and your family’s  struggles with mental issues. There is no doubt that the true account of these difficulties when  expressed in writing or spoken word to a public audience helps to alleviate ongoing suffering and somehow affirms our recovery process... confession is good for the soul. As with. alcoholism, often causing or the cause of mental issues, when one is in recovery , which is a lifelong persuit the programme includes sharing to others and provides relief and affirmation of a worthy struggle. 

Thank you for the honesty. ,  

4 hours ago, Never Been Abroad said:

With respect Rooster,

Fact: sugar is not a drug

Fact: sugar does not cause obesity

Fact: sugar does not cause diabetes.

When people talk about sugar making them fat, they are talking about chocolate (50% fat), ice cream (50% fat), doughnuts (50% fat).  There's a clue in the name ... fat.

7 years ago Chef Jamie Oliver blamed sugar for childhood obesity. The UK government responded with a sugar tax on fizzy drinks.  Counties who've adopted this nonsense have gotten fatter.

Why don't people get caught at customs with bags of sugar strapped to their body?  Why is there not a 12 step program for sugar? Because it's  NOT a drug.   Coffee on the other hand is a neurotoxin.  People who need coffee in the morning are often those avoiding carbs and scared of sugar. Why aren't people banging on about how bad coffee is for us?

Type 2 diabeties is cause by a high fatty diet.

Ha, ha, ha! You actually think dietary fats = body fat? I thought only children held that misconception.

Dietary fats, like all foods, are broken down into sugars, which is what the body uses for energy. When you take in more sugar than your body needs, the excess is stored as body fat. Some dietary fat contains high amounts of cholesterol, which can be converted to a type of body fat that likes to be stored in your arteries. 

Dietary sugar comes in a number of types and forms. Complex sugar types are a bit better for you because your body has to work to break them down into the simple form your body needs for energy. The simple kind is available for the body's use immediately, so if you don't use it right away it is a fast transition to body fat. This is why is great to take a walk after meals.

Excess sugar intake IS directly related to obesity.
Too much sugar in the blood steam over time affects insulin levels with CAN lead to diabetes (if your genetic makeup is prone to it.)

Now you know just a bit about dietary fats and sugars. Let's move on to your gross misconceptions about how much "fat" is contained in chocolate and ice cream... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rumak said:

Forums are meant (imo) to allow different views to be presented.

Tvf gives a very narrow view of Thailand. I assume all the staff are older males from the UK and the USA.

That is why Trump and Brexit topics were so popular, and much of the news that is important to Thais in Thailand isn't even reported here.

Biggest Thai story of today is not to be found here. 

This results in a mainly older UK and USA male readership. 

As far as I can see there isn't a single Thai on this forum, or Indian or Chinese person. There are not any females under 60.

Some of the questions people put forward would be much better answered by a Thai person rather than an old foreigner just guessing and stating as fact something he heard on the beer bar stool.

With the predominantly older, white male content and readership, racism and sexism seems to be accepted which would discourage younger people from different countries who are more open minded to contribute.

I would be much more interested to hear a view and experiences, for example, from a young Chinese woman living and working in Thailand than the endless comments from old English retirees who don't really do much here, who have married a bargirl and live in some isolated village.

They really should employ some young staff in the news section and also have a Thai moderator to crack down on the endless Thaibashing that is boring and useless.

Edited by RobMuir
  • Confused 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:09 PM, PatOngo said:

Here, here!

Thai Visa, through the pandemic has kept expats informed, us trapped that went home for Xmas and those still in Thailand. 

I am making plans to return I hope b4 Xmas, with wife and family. 

The world is in a sorry state, but I take my hat off to Thai Visa for keeping us informed and humoured through tough times, and to posters like Ubon Joe who goes out of his way to help people with visa problems, so well done, Thai Visa 

12 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Tvf gives a very narrow view of Thailand. I assume all the staff are older males from the UK and the USA.

That is why Trump and Brexit topics were so popular, and much of the news that is important to Thais in Thailand isn't even reported here.

Biggest Thai story of today is not to be found here. 

This results in a mainly older UK and USA male readership. 

As far as I can see there isn't a single Thai on this forum, or Indian or Chinese person. There are not any females under 60.

I'm Thai. I'm not retired. I am in full employment in Thailand. Don't post much on TVF though. 

22 hours ago, allencraig said:

Ha, ha, ha! You actually think dietary fats = body fat? I thought only children held that misconception.

Dietary fats, like all foods, are broken down into sugars, which is what the body uses for energy. When you take in more sugar than your body needs, the excess is stored as body fat. Some dietary fat contains high amounts of cholesterol, which can be converted to a type of body fat that likes to be stored in your arteries. 

Dietary sugar comes in a number of types and forms. Complex sugar types are a bit better for you because your body has to work to break them down into the simple form your body needs for energy. The simple kind is available for the body's use immediately, so if you don't use it right away it is a fast transition to body fat. This is why is great to take a walk after meals.

Excess sugar intake IS directly related to obesity.
Too much sugar in the blood steam over time affects insulin levels with CAN lead to diabetes (if your genetic makeup is prone to it.)

Now you know just a bit about dietary fats and sugars. Let's move on to your gross misconceptions about how much "fat" is contained in chocolate and ice cream... 

Actually, yes, the fat you eat IS the fat you wear.  Put a person's body fat under a microscope and it is obvious if that fat is from pork or fish or whatever.

FAT

The body only needs about 5% of its food intake from fat.  Excess fat  is stored as fat (doesn't matter if it's so called good fat or bad fat, it's still stored as fat) until it's needed as a fat or converted to sugar as a last resort. (and we all know how long it takes to shift body fat)

SUGAR

Sugar on the other hand (carbs from rice, fruit, table sugar etc) is stored as glycogen in the muscles.  Excess sugar is <deleted> out. 

Basic human physiology every cell needs sugar.

Yes it is possible for the body to process sugar into fat but this is a last resort, and in actuality rarely happens.  Most of us overeat fat, as I mentioned above.

When sugar is slow to leave the blood, it is because of too much fat in the blood from that or previous meals.  Fat is the problem, NOT sugar.  Type 2 diabetes can be reversed (cured 100%) by cutting right back on dietary fats, but cannot be cured by cutting back on sugars, that's an absolute myth, not helped by the previous mis-labeling as 'sugar-diabetes'.

If sugar caused diabetes, diabetes would be rife in Thailand and China. Ask yourself why the countries with the fattest diets have more diabetes.

I agree my percentages of fat in chocolate, doughnuts and ice cream are slightly exaggerated for effect...but only slightly.  These are all high fat foods.  Look at the fat content of any chocolate bar label, it will be a whopping 40%, and as I previously mentioned we only need 5% maximum as fat.

Folks we've had a number done on us. Intelligent people in there masses are avoiding SUGAR while waistlines are increasing like never before, its not a coincidence.  If there's one food we need to severely restrict it's not sugar, it's fat. ❤????

On 4/4/2021 at 7:09 AM, PatOngo said:

Here, here!

And not all that slow. Something basically wrong with the business model I fear.

And as for the reliability of the software... the change in platform has been a disaster.