How much does Insurance go up after claiming and can you claim not your fault if other person doesn't stop?

Millian

New car 4 months ago, 2nd day we it had a motobike going down the centre of the road made a very deep scratch on rear door, had it repaired on insurance.

2nd Month we had it, motobike careering down the wrong side of the road hit the back and ruined the rear bumper, had it repaired on insurance.

Both accidents above, we just said we did it ourselves, as the motobikes didn't stop and we couldn't be bothered to get police report (can you even if they dont stop?)

4th month in, now the Mrs reversed into a gate and looks like we'll need an entire new boot door.

Approx how much will we expect the insurance to go up by next year?  For smaller dents and scratches is it cheaper to pay out of pocket than claim?  If the other party whose fault it is doesn't stop, can you still claim it wasn't your fault, and does that even make a difference on claim (your fault or not?)

Thanks

34 minutes ago, Millian said:

For smaller dents and scratches is it cheaper to pay out of pocket than claim?

I've had 2 hit and run and the damage to our truck is minor so will get a price and pay myself, because previous quotes were small.

The damage is on the nearside front wing and lower door panel.

Had damage on a Yaris we had front spoiler smashed by hitting a dog, new ABS spoiler same colour 2,100.

The rear ABS bumper was scratched up and cracked in a car-park by unknown it was repaired and respray 2,300.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Millian said:

Approx how much will we expect the insurance to go up by next year? 

Perhaps ask your broker if you use one?

I had a claim last year just before renewal where the truck was parked at a golf course car park (with security......)but no cameras apart from where you drop the bags off in front of the club house. Came back to the car after playing and found a big dent in one of the side panels at the rear. 

Cost I believe was about 6/7k to fix. I had to pay 1k - apparently standard where no idea who/how it happened - or standard with Axa anyhow.

The renewal premium went up 1.7k from what it was going to be before the claim.

I'm like you, I don't like to claim.

I chased 1 guy in his boss's pickup when he drove his bosses extra wide wheels into my car (see pic). He gave up pretty quick though. So first message - don't give up! Chasing bikes is tough though.

What I did when the wing mirror got knocked off the wife's car, was call the insurance and asked them. How much to fix and whats the impact on renewal. Decided I didn't want to pay 50k for a wing mirror and the penalty was less.

I like Thailand for stuff like this. Its all a negotiation.

FB_IMG_1617641161554.jpg

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 2

I just changed insurers and carried across a 50% no claims bonus from AXA to (Roojai). I guess if I were to make a claim on my insurance now I would loose that discount. That tells me when I ought to claim and when I ought to pay.

Personal experience. Small things and it doesn't go up, just stops it from going down as the value of the car drops. Bigger things and they raise the price 10% or so,could be more. Big things costing a lot: They'll just refuse to renew. Sampling a bit low obviously ????

Edited by MikeyIdea

On 4/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, Millian said:

Approx how much will we expect the insurance to go up by next year? 

We had a tree stump roll off of a small hill and hit our pick door (parked at the time) and the step up thing to get into the pick up.

Excess was 5,000 baht, they replaced the door skin and the step up thing which had a small dent, personally I wouldn't have bothered with the step up thing, but hey they were paying for it.

No increase in the policy and that was 3 years ago, still with AXA.

Panel beater said total cost was 20k when asked by my wife, so the excess was easy to pay, if they were going to up the policy price the next year, it would depend by how much, too much would mean I would shop around, but didn't need too.

Edited by 4MyEgo

It's depending of you insurance terms if the rate goes up; Thai 1st class car insurance works different from many Western countries, as here you begin with a high price based on the car's value, and the over time the annual fee is reduced a little every year.

A motorbike drove into the front of the car when my girlfriend was turning, just a minor damage, and nothing happened to the biker, that she claimed from the insurance. However, the insurance inspector later said it was her fault, she should have let the motorbike pass, so I expected that the car insurance would move a step up the following year, and considered if it was cheaper to pay the repair myself; instead I got a discount...????

13 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I'm like you, I don't like to claim.

I chased 1 guy in his boss's pickup when he drove his bosses extra wide wheels into my car (see pic). He gave up pretty quick though. So first message - don't give up! Chasing bikes is tough though.

What I did when the wing mirror got knocked off the wife's car, was call the insurance and asked them. How much to fix and whats the impact on renewal. Decided I didn't want to pay 50k for a wing mirror and the penalty was less.

I like Thailand for stuff like this. Its all a negotiation.

FB_IMG_1617641161554.jpg

I guess from the the photo you had a very good car to follow this pick-up. He had o chance to get away from you. Great !