Spreading COVID May Justify Measure Review

webfact

17 minutes ago, Poet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the danger is when people are in an indoor area that is not well-ventilated.

These people are outdoors, bathed in UV rays and probably enjoying a sea breeze. No one will get Covid (or any respiratory illness) in this situation unless they kiss or share a beverage container with someone who is infected. The vitamin D their bodies are generating from the sunlight will also help to protect them.

I don't mind taking sensible measures but it alarms me when it shifts into the realm of hysteria. Seeing people wearing masks outdoors, and scowling at the people who aren't, tells me that we are also in the middle of a mental health pandemic.

Reasonable points you've brought up and I tend to agree with you on many. The risk however at the moment with the new clusters and people traveling to Phuket, is it worth it? We just don't know if anyone there is positive or passed it on but its certainly possible. 

Phuket has gone months without a confirmed case, is there really no covid here? I live here and have never heard of any testing going on anywhere in the province within the last few months.

Living and enjoying life is great, but perhaps better for those vaccinations to be distributed first then we can get back to normality as much as possible.

• Like 2

Richard Barrow in Thailand

UPDATE: The BMA has ordered the closure of 196 entertainment venues in three districts of #Bangkok: Wattana, Klongtoey and Bang Khae, for 14 days from 6-19 April 2021. Some venues in other districts could also be closed

9 hours ago, smedly said:

covid is very obviously spreading around certain areas in Thailand like Bangkok, but it is also worth noting that nobody knows how much it is spreading because they do not do mass random testing

Everyone complaining about the lack of testing... 

Personally everything I experience doesn't include Covid. Neither to me nor people around me, nor people around them. (talking about Covid and not the consequences of Covid) Only when looking at the news, I'm being reminded about Covid. 

I think Covid is real, don't get me wrong, but is it that bad? For a flu, yes, but there are plenty of things that cause more death than covid which get little to no attention. 

If we do all the testing, then many more cases will have popped up according to the most people here. 

Currently they are not being  tested and walking around freely (including people who, when tested, will be positive). Nothing seems to be spread as they say it would. Shouldn't the situation here now be just like in the USA or Europe? 

Or do the positive test results maybe make Covid more scary than it actually is? ????

Just ask yourself, if you just woke up from a coma and have no clue about what's going on... Besides the consequences of Covid and if you won't watch the news, would you really know what's going on? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the danger is when people are in an indoor area that is not well-ventilated.

These people are outdoors, bathed in UV rays and probably enjoying a sea breeze. No one will get Covid (or any respiratory illness) in this situation unless they kiss or share a beverage container with someone who is infected. The vitamin D their bodies are generating from the sunlight will also help to protect them.

I don't mind taking sensible measures but it alarms me when it shifts into the realm of hysteria. Seeing people wearing masks outdoors, and scowling at the people who aren't, tells me that we are also in the middle of a mental health pandemic.

Not exactly. Outdoors is definitely better but that's a lot of unrelated people very close together without masks. Of course this virus spreads that way. Duh. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Richard Barrow in Thailand

UPDATE: The BMA has ordered the closure of 196 entertainment venues in three districts of #Bangkok: Wattana, Klongtoey and Bang Khae, for 14 days from 6-19 April 2021. Some venues in other districts could also be closed

Is there a list, or are all venues in those areas closed?

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not exactly. Outdoors is definitely better but that's a lot of unrelated people very close together without masks. Of course this virus spreads that way. Duh. 

There is insufficient proof to raise your contention to a "Duh" level of certainty.

All the spreader events we are aware of involved prolonged exposure (15 minutes or more) to droplets in spaces with insufficient ventilation. We know of no cases in which people were infected outside. Experts are pretty certain that droplets get dispersed too quickly in the air currents that exist even on days that are not windy. Some also believe that the virus breaks up more quickly when exposed to the levels of UV light within sunshine.

To justify severe restrictions you must show that there is an actual point, supported by credible evidence. If you impose restrictions that make no sense on young people, they will simply ignore them. This is clearly already happening.

I am not denying that some people put themselves in situations that increase their risk of catching or spreading the virus, but that is not what is happening in that photo.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Poet said:

We know of no cases in which people were infected outside. 

We is you? And if I look at this Phuket party picture then I ask myself how many of them will have closer contact in a room later... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, samtam said:

The plan in England, (not UK) now is to provide all with a home test kit, which one needs to do twice weekly. I think people here in Thailand genuinely do not want to know whether they have Covid, because the impact is so severe: loss of job, hospitalisation, and worse.

There are a few on here who will agree with you, I am one of them. Yet there are those that will name you as a fear monger because your being a realist.  They will also say if covid is so bad, why are the hospitals not full and where are all of the bodies stacked up.  They will tell you that your just not praising this government for a great job they have done.  True the numbers reported are low but they are growing now, but could they be bigger if they tested and did not force folks into the hospital if positive, yes they could be, but we will never know.  Thanks for your post and insight.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, RichardColeman said:

Uk is on the verge now of vaccine passports. I 100% support this.

Hopefully Thailand bars will soon be asking for phone app or official document data from all customers before serving or letting them in.

Do I like the idea , no, but if it's temporary I think most of us could live with it.

Well the theory is good but unfortunately the biggest killer is road deaths and for 100 baht you get a fit to drive medical certificate so I would suspect a 100 baht will similarly get you a "covid free" document here.

23 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Looks like people enjoying themselves and living life.. Good for them  hope they enjoyed it. 

COVID concerns raised over Phuket beach party guest.

We have been notified directly from one attendee that they tested positive for COVID 19 on April 6th. The guest visited all 3 Kolour events in the past weekend. 

Cafe Del Mar Phuket Apr 3rd

https://www.thephuketnews.com/covid-concerns-raised-over-phuket-beach-party-guest-79595.php

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Oldie said:

And if I look at this Phuket party picture then I ask myself how many of them will have closer contact in a room later... 

You should stop asking yourself this when you see a photo of young people engaging in normal socializing. Whether conscious or subconscious, your desire to control the lives of others is alarming. This is where serial killers come from.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Poet said:

You should stop asking yourself this when you see a photo of young people engaging in normal socializing. Whether conscious or subconscious, your desire to control the lives of others is alarming. This is where serial killers come from.

I only complain that laws and regulations are not obeyed by some idiots. Such people are a danger for others. But you obviously find this good. This is alarming. Serial killers don't care much about anything but themselves. They enjoy causing harm to others. I don't think that people obeying laws and regulations like I do belong to this group. But for you such people seem to be the real criminals... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poet said:

Well, thats context gone astray then. The poster was making an observation on the risk of covid and low and behold this behaviour is a trait of potential serial killers. Can I make the observation that such a misplaced statement by you is a trait of twisted minds, or maybe watching too much netflix, I can't decide.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 8:27 AM, mtls2005 said:

No covid in Phuket then?  I don't know how people can complain about closing entertainment venues when it's so obvious that this will lead to increased spread of covid.

Maybe if there were zero community cases, you could argue this is OK (but still it wouldn't really).  With active cases wondering around, obviously this shouldn't be happening.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, faraday said:

I am somewhat concerned,  as to whyAnutin has a latex glove - which are used for intimate examinations, over his clenched fist.

????

Because he couldn't get it over his head when trying to insert it up his cat-flap ?

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And a bit more detail on MoPH's proposed changes for the coming two week period:

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&pto=aue,boq&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=th&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://pr.moph.go.th/%3Furl%3Dpr/detail/2/04/156327/

1. The highest regulated areas (red) in 5 provinces, including Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Nakhon Pathom, with restaurants and entertainment venues open no later than 21.00 hrs.

2. The control area (orange) has 9 provinces: Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Chumphon, Tak, Ratchaburi, Chon Buri, Suphanburi, Narathiwat and Kanchanaburi, where restaurants and entertainment venues can eat and drink liquor no later than 23.00 hours...

3. The highest surveillance area (yellow) has 10 provinces: Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Phetchaburi, Ranong, Rayong, Songkhla, Yala and Khon Kaen, with restaurants and entertainment venues, eating and drinking alcohol, not exceeding 24.00...

The government's CCSA concluded their meeting and briefing today on the country's COVID status WITHOUT announcing any decision or change on the proposals above -- which include banning alcohol sales and early closing hours for restaurants, bars and entertainment venues in BKK and four other provinces.

They did not announce any new timeframe for when a decision might be announced on the above proposals.

Meanwhile separately, the Bangkok administration has announced that they will be ordering closed "entertainment venues" in 3 Bangkok districts because of COVID for the coming two weeks, those being the Khlong Toei, Watthana (Vadhana) and Bang Kae districts.

The order says it covers "entertainment venues, pubs, bars, and karaoke shops" in those 3 districts, which include a good portion of the areas adjoining Sukhumvit Road in central BKK.

https://prbangkok-eng.com/index.php/2021/04/05/bma-orders-the-temporary-closure-of-entertainment-venues-in-3-districts-from-april-6-to-19-2021/

"Therefore, the BMA Communicable Diseases Committee Meeting resolved to order the temporary closure of all entertainment venues, any establishments providing similar services to those of entertainment venues, pubs, bars, and karaoke shops located in Vadhana district and Khlong Toei district where the Thong Lor cluster was found. This includes the temporary closure of all entertainment venues, any establishments providing similar services to those of entertainment venues in Bang Khae district where a large number of COVID-19 infection was detected."