Thailand braced for infections spike after detecting UK COVID-19 variant

snoop1130

The Government should seriously consider halting public transport travel over Songkran.

Official #COVID19 update in #Thailand on Thursday:

Since 15 December 2020

26,073 people infected (+14 imported cases & +391 local cases)

1,403 of these cases were imported

35 dead +0

Since January 2020

30,310 cases

2,114 people still in care

95 deaths (0.31%)

2 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

There is a new strain in Brazil already spread throughout South America, U K ,Turkey & Japan.

This virus is going too be around for the next decade I feel .I hope I'm wrong. 

And now a Nigerian variant. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

"for every 1 person infected up to 30 more are also likely to be infected” "less than 2% fatality?"

All good...unless YOU happen to be one of the 30 or the 2%

There is no variant of Covid-19 with an R number of 30. During the spread of the B117 (Kent) variant in the UK I think the highest R value it had was around 1.7 - meaning each infected person would pass it on to an average of less than 2 other people.

That's still enough to cause an exponential spread, of course.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:
Thirty provinces around #Thailand have had #COVID19 cases in the last 1-2 days (red) and seven provinces in the last 3-6 days (orange). As you can see, it is half of the country now with reported infections #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

Anyone know which website he uses to get the daily figures so early?

16 hours ago, lovinglife said:

44% of all genome sequencing has been done by the UK. Sample came from Kent, original mutation could have occurred anywhere.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-u-k-became-world-leader-in-sequencing-the-coronavirusgenome-11612011601

Does it matter? Is it so important to absolve the uk or blame China? 

Is spain still trying to distance itself from the spanish flu?

Im rather more concerned at this point at who will end it, but I supect that wont be so cut and dried nor rapid as we might hope.

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The UK variant as we know is far more infectious and indeed more deadly. The previous dithering on the outbreak now needs to take a serious turn with head on measures to combat this or face a dark period of severe lockdown later. 

I was hearing an interview of a virologist Jhon Campbell wich , if I remember well , says that it is more deadly because the cases are much more than the previous mutation .... well cross fingers .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandhurstmolonski said:

That's correct, it's a virus it was never going anywhere , vaccinations may help a little but are not ultimate solutions  , just assisting .

As with every other virus ever , it must be lived with , exactly why lockdowns don't work , you can't play with nature , a strong functional , evolving immune system , same reasoning with stronger strains , all the above weakens the virus .

That's why Thailand has done so well and that's exactly why Thailand will continue to do well , 

As healthy as possible , few overweight , not much overuse of script meds .

You need an immune ,and you need to be as healthy as possible , you need to eat well , these are the messages that must be promoted , there is always a price to be paid , and immune must always evolve .

Vaccinations help us reach herd immunity.  Without losing millions of lives.  Until then, we have to deal with lockdowns.  Or, lose millions more lives.  They do help control the virus.  That's a proven fact.

Thailand has done well because they controlled their borders. Just like OZ, NZ, and many other countries.  All of which have used lockdowns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Can anyone please explain to me how the UK variant is spreading in Thailand when all but essential travel out of the UK has been banned for weeks, and Thailand has draconian measures in place for all those arriving in the country anyway, with certificates saying they are safe to fly and quarantine. If this variant or any other version manages to get through despite all that then we are all in deep trouble. I'd have thought that the only risk was from those coming across the border from Myanmar.

So probably imported from Myanmar wich got it from Bangladesh and India

• Like 2

There is one thing that nobody has said yet about how this UK mutation arrived here. It is quite simple to see how, you just have to look at time frames and it will tell you. Anyone who wanted to return to Thailand had to get a COE from the Thai Embassy or Consulate. To get that COE the applicant had to get a Covid test 72 hours before travel and that test must be negative. Time frame test 72 HOURS before travel. OK, I have my test 72 hours before travel and then like a good farang I go and have a farewell party with many other people some of who have Covid so now I am infected within that 72 hour timeframe and I take the infection onto the plane and give it to all the other passengers and the crew of the aircraft. The UK mutation is now in Thailand because my Covid test 72 hours before departure came back negative but I caught the virus between my test and the time of departure. Did this virus START in China? Remember is was recorded in China in December 2019 but there were 2 cases of people that had no contact with China recorded in France, 1 was recorded in November 2019 and 1 was recorded in August 2019, Plus France has a population of bats as well.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

Did the new study say how many inoculated got infected and how many of those died?

Vaccines do not provide 100% protection from getting infected. They do prevent against severe symptoms and death and greatly reduces transmission.

Depands from Vaccine to Vaccine .

For what we are due to know Pfizer and Moderna has a 90% ratio of not getting the virus and a 100 % ratio of not getting hospitalized .

AZ & Sputnik are in the same range .

Covax between 50 and 70% but there isn't enough statistics ....

Saddle up Thailand. The first variant out of Asia was the weakest and since the country has been largely isolated from the outside world, it won't be prepared or be able to deal with the stronger variants that circulating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saddle up Thailand. The first variant out of Asia was the weakest and since the country has been largely isolated from the outside world, it won't be prepared or be able to deal with the stronger variants that circulating. 

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There is one thing that nobody has said yet about how this UK mutation arrived here. It is quite simple to see how, you just have to look at time frames and it will tell you. Anyone who wanted to return to Thailand had to get a COE from the Thai Embassy or Consulate. To get that COE the applicant had to get a Covid test 72 hours before travel and that test must be negative. Time frame test 72 HOURS before travel. OK, I have my test 72 hours before travel and then like a good farang I go and have a farewell party with many other people some of who have Covid so now I am infected within that 72 hour timeframe and I take the infection onto the plane and give it to all the other passengers and the crew of the aircraft. The UK mutation is now in Thailand because my Covid test 72 hours before departure came back negative but I caught the virus between my test and the time of departure. Did this virus START in China? Remember is was recorded in China in December 2019 but there were 2 cases of people that had no contact with China recorded in France, 1 was recorded in November 2019 and 1 was recorded in August 2019, Plus France has a population of bats as well.

-- You can be infected up to 3 days before your PCR test and still test negative. But, you will still get caught by the 14 day quarantine.

-- Reports of rare pre-covid covid in the West are based on antibody tests on old blood samples, etc, which  far from reliable for various reasons. There is no proof the real virus  existed.

-- Yes, the virus came from China. There is abundant evidence and records of infection in Wuhan well before December, including Chinese reports. Comprehensive genetic analysis based on large databases now suggest the virus first came into existence in the October time frame in China. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

-- You can be infected up to 3 days before your PCR test and still test negative. But, you will still get caught by the 14 day quarantine.

-- Reports of rare pre-covid covid in the West are based on antibody tests on old blood samples, etc, which  far from reliable for various reasons. There is no proof the real virus  existed.

-- Yes, the virus came from China. There is abundant evidence and records of infection in Wuhan well before December, including Chinese reports. Comprehensive genetic analysis based on large databases now suggest the virus first came into existence in the October time frame in China. 

What about the recorded Argentinian man with no connections to China that was recorded in France in August 2019, so  it did not come into existence in October 2019 it was around before that.

I am surprised that the good Doctor is surprised.

MuangThong Thani Entertainment Centre would make a great field hospital as the basics are all there.

In the meantime folks just take extra precautions,,,,,do not let your guard down

2 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Please don't say Glaxo or Pfizer because that's not true.

How about Ecohealth Alliance Inc. Head Office: New York. USA and the Poject Leader was Dr Peter Daszak an Englishman. Project Number is 1R01AI110964-01

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

What about the recorded Argentinian man with no connections to China that was recorded in France in August 2019, so  it did not come into existence in October 2019 it was around before that.

Read what I wrote, go study. I covered that in my post.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marco100 said:

I was hearing an interview of a virologist Jhon Campbell wich , if I remember well , says that it is more deadly because the cases are much more than the previous mutation .... well cross fingers .

Yes I've heard that also and sounds true enough. However the US National Institute of Health also says its more deadly period.

This variant is considerably more contagious than the original virus. It has spread rapidly around the globe and likely accounts already for at least one-third of all cases in the United States [1]. Now comes more troubling news: emerging evidence indicates that infection with this B.1.1.7 variant also comes with an increased risk of severe illness and death [2].

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/03/30/infections-with-u-k-variant-b-1-1-7-have-greater-risk-of-mortality/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rabas said:

Read what I wrote, go study. I covered that in my post.

Yes I have read what you wrote and you wrote "Comprehensive genetic analysis based on large databases now suggest the virus first came into existence in the October time frame in China." If it came into existence as you wrote then how is it recorded in France in an Argentinian man in August 2019

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

The Government should seriously consider halting public transport travel over Songkran.

Official #COVID19 update in #Thailand on Thursday:

Since 15 December 2020

26,073 people infected (+14 imported cases & +391 local cases)

1,403 of these cases were imported

35 dead +0

Since January 2020

30,310 cases

2,114 people still in care

95 deaths (0.31%)

They need to cancel Songkran and limit travel but the idiots in charge want people to travel and spend money 

• Like 2

Try reading the actual NIH Projects Report that was started in 2014 instead of trying the wikipedia which tells you nothing. Here is the link to the NIH Projects site which is not a small thing as you falsely claim with your false information.

https://reporter.nih.gov/project-details/8674931

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I guess it needs to be asked, is the Sinovac vaccine that they're using even effective against the so-called UK strain that is now set to wreak havoc here?

Thats a good question thats not been touched on yet because the Sinovac has never been trialed on the UK strain. 

The transport Minister who has tested positive had the first shot of vaccine in March and was due his second, although we know with any vaccine it takes a couple of weeks after the second shot to get the full antibodies needed. However if this vaccine is not as effective on the UK strain then there may be another problem here.

He is 59 years so I would have presumed he received the Sinovac?

• Like 2