Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

23 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Mid 2016 get Line message mid 2016 with picture of RG announcement, but need to wait a while to get the documents from SB.

Final step  found out there is no clear time line when you need to get the Thai ID, so postponed it for a while as travelling a lot, and no time to get ID, then passport and then Visa

Enjoy your journey and be patient. If you meet the crtieria, and in some cases sing well, you will succeed, it just takes a long time. 

Basically 6.5 years in the queue.

A much braver man than me. Once I got the papers an interview was set up at the District Office (actually they called me before I even got the papers from SB). I would not have dared to postpone getting my ID card after all the stress I had gone through.

Anyway, congratulations.   

A much braver man than me. Once I got the papers an interview was set up at the District Office (actually they called me before I even got the papers from SB). I would not have dared to postpone getting my ID card after all the stress I had gone through.

Anyway, congratulations.   

Thanks and cheers - SB told me there is no law about when you need to pick up ID

Said they can do it whenever it's convenient to you and even recommended i complete my travels first before doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How many years you have to live in Thailoand before you eligible to apply?
How many years need to pay tax and be on WP?
Asking coz seeing confusing infos
Thanks

1, Substantially short and cheap if you are married to a thai. Total 3 years on WP and pay taxes on 40K/month salary

2, Substantially long and expensive if not married to thai. First step is 3 years on WP and pay taxes on 80k/month salary to get eligible for PR. After applying PR, may take any where from 3-6 years to receive PR status. Once receiving PR status, wait 5 more years to be eligible for applying thai citizenship. All this period still have to be employed on WP and keep paying taxes on 80K/month salary. Add up all above years and altogether it will be within 15-20 years to get your thai citizenship after starting your 80k/month job in thailand.

After applying PR, may take any where from 3-6 years to receive PR status. Once receiving PR status, wait 5 more years to be eligible for applying thai citizenship. All this period still have to be employed on WP and keep paying taxes on 80K/month salary. Add up all above years and altogether it will be within 15-20 years to get your thai citizenship after starting your 80k/month job in thailand.

Not that I recall. Very sure I submitted docs for PR in December, was I think there was a decision in April, and the next December, got my PR

Yes, citz takes for ever, about 6.5 years for me. From what I know you need almost constant employment so as not to be disqualified

So end to end about 8 years

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

1, Substantially short and cheap if you are married to a thai. Total 3 years on WP and pay taxes on 40K/month salary

2, Substantially long and expensive if not married to thai. First step is 3 years on WP and pay taxes on 80k/month salary to get eligible for PR. After applying PR, may take any where from 3-6 years to receive PR status. Once receiving PR status, wait 5 more years to be eligible for applying thai citizenship. All this period still have to be employed on WP and keep paying taxes on 80K/month salary. Add up all above years and altogether it will be within 15-20 years to get your thai citizenship after starting your 80k/month job in thailand.

IC

not that bad for a married person

So if you married and pay tax, got WP, its around 3 years to get thai passport?

12 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

So if you married and pay tax, got WP, its around 3 years to get thai passport?

That is the when you can apply for Thai nationality.

Hard to say how long it will be to get approval and then a Thai passport.

if read my write up above... my recommendation is clear..... don't waste your time thinking " I am eligible, I am not eligible ".

just go to SB, show them the docs they request for, they will do the maths and tell you straight out. If you don't, they will tell you what is next

I though I did not qualify, but I did.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PattayaBoy said:

So whats PR pros? You still need visas and all that right?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PR is completely different from applying for Thai nationality and is covered in another topic.

You apply for Thai nationality and wait for it to be approved. PR is not included in that process.

PR is completely different from applying for Thai nationality and is covered in another topic.
You apply for Thai nationality and wait for it to be approved. PR is not included in that process.

Link to that topic please.

Can you skip PR and apply for thai nationality?

12 hours ago, PattayaBoy said:

Link to that topic please.

Can you skip PR and apply for thai nationality?

17 hours ago, sas_cars said:

No need to get PR first if you are married to a Thai.

Topic about PR is this one.

I understand that PR is not taking as long as the 3-6 years it took in the recent past to process under the current government.  For those without a Thai spouse it is the only route to citizenship.  Immigration opened for PR applications early this year on 1 September till end December, whereas they normally only open for the last two weeks of December.  So anyone interested would be advised to apply now.  Under future governments, if it is only likely to get harder and take longer.  The same applies to citizenship applications under this government which has cleared a lot of backlog and speeded up the interview process.  No point in procrastinating further, if you are interested in either one and are already qualified.  Citizenship applications can of course be made on any working day of the year at Special Branch.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2016 at 4:07 PM, PattayaBoy said:

So whats PR pros? You still need visas and all that right?

It is a way stage towards citizenship, if you are interested in that and have no Thai spouse.  You don't visas any more if you have PR.  You just need to get a re-entry permit from Immigration, renewable annually, if you want to travel abroad.  If you don't want to travel, you can just let it expire and renew before you go on a trip.  You still need work permits which is rather a pain.  The biggest advantage is no more visas and no risk that rules will be changed on you or that additional documentation will be required the next time you renew.  Getting the annual re-entry visas is simply a matter of showing up, filling in the forms and paying the fees.  There is no hassle and minimal queuing involved.  PR is worth having but not nearly as good as citizenship.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any updated processing times between the NIA interview and the MOI for citizenship applications (Thai spouse)? Is it still approximately 4 years?

My NIA interview was 14 months ago and I haven't received any updates.

Four months after the NIA-interview I got a copy of the SB letter that my application had been approved and forwarded to the MOI.

After that it took 3 years and 10 months before I got the interview at the MOI.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aidenai said:

Four months after the NIA-interview I got a copy of the SB letter that my application had been approved and forwarded to the MOI.

After that it took 3 years and 10 months before I got the interview at the MOI.

So you received confirmation from your SB and not NIA directly?

I don't know if it matters, but I live several hours away from Bangkok. The NIA specifically came to my province to conduct interviews and I was under the impression that my local SB was no longer handling my application, but I guess I am mistaken. Should I be contacting my SB, the NIA, or both about my application status?

10 hours ago, sas_cars said:

What is NIA?

National Intelligence Agency. They do checks into your background and interview you. After that interview you would have no further contact with the NIA.  The previous poster should check with SB. If the application has already been passed on,  you should check with Bureau of Registration Administration (or perhaps  your local equivalent).

National Intelligence Agency. They do checks into your background and interview you. After that interview you would have no further contact with the NIA.  The previous poster should check with SB. If the application has already been passed on,  you should check with Bureau of Registration Administration (or perhaps  your local equivalent).

Guess these are the ones who conduct interview at Mcdonalds?

I looked on that site. 

I didn't need evidence of donations to anyone. 

Did not need 5 copies of anything. 

Did not need to show income, just my husbands. 

The interview at the police office was in thai because I was able to speak Thai. But for those that couldn't, the officers tried to communicate in English or translated through the Thai spouse. Why do people make things sound so complicated.