7 Dangerous Days: Day 3 - 54 killed, 373 people injured on Thailand’s roads

Jonathan Fairfield

413121003_Thailand_motorbikeaccident.jpg

Image: File photo

The day of Thailand’s so-called ‘7 dangerous days’ saw 54 people killed and 373 people injured from 388 road accidents in Thailand on Monday.

Monday’s figures raise the total number of deaths and injuries during the first three days of Songkran to 110 killed and 1,099 injured from 1,090 accidents.

Stats released by the Center for the Prevention and Reduction of Road Accidents on Tuesday found that most accidents were caused by speeding (30.15%)  and drink driving (28.35%).

Over 87 percent of all accidents involved a motorcycle.

Most accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm and involved those aged 50 and over. 

Police said 61,702 drivers face prosecution, with 18,210 found to not have a driving license and 16,553 were not wearing helmets.

Nakhon Si Thammarat reported the highest number of accidents (49) and injuries (52), while Chonburi reported the highest number of deaths (6) on Monday.

While the stats above might be shocking to some, on average between 50 and 60 people are killed on Thailand’s roads each day, so the figures so far appear to show no significant spike in deaths, despite it being Songkran.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-13

• Sad 2

" ... Monday’s figures raise the total number of deaths and injuries during the first three days of Songkran to 110 killed and 1,099 injured from 1,090 accidents. ..."

This really says something about Thai statistics.  Most of these are motorcycle crashes or mocy vs. car.  How many of the 1,099 "injured" were DOA or very soon thereafter? 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Or put another way, absolutely no reduction in daily deaths following huge police effort involving thousands of officers, hours of planning, man-hours and overtime. 

Which proves that it's not just the poor of action of the police but the abysmal attitude of road users that continue to perpetuate the horrific road carnage!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Or put another way, absolutely no reduction in daily deaths following huge police effort involving thousands of officers, hours of planning, man-hours and overtime. 

june 2019 to june 2020 saw 24470 deaths on Thai roads so 67 a day,  so most accidents between 4 and 8pm and drivers over 50, maybe poor eyesite.

Monday’s figures raise the total number of deaths and injuries during the first three days of Songkran to 110 killed and 1,099 injured from 1,090 accidents.

Figures like those mandate an immediate national lockdown, with permits granted on a case-by-case basis for limited inter-provincial travel.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hobobo said:

Most Thais are unaware of what the speed limit on the road they are travelling on is; most Thais seem unaware of how fast they are driving at any given time; and most Thais are clueless about the real acceleration possibilities of the vehicle they are driving. Taken together - a recipe for disaster!

So in other words according to you Thai's are useless? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Good to know they are keeping just slightly above the average daily death toll ! According to the  Center for the Prevention and Reduction of Road Accidents maybe they should rename themselves !

Centre for inadequacy ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

how can you have "speeding" if smarty pants increased speed limit to 120?

I guess you didn't read the complete notice the 120 speed limit is only on selected highways. The 90kph limit is still on 99 percent of all roads.

I have just decided to hand my Thai drivers license back after meeting that idiot at the U turn He nearly smashed into me because he thought he had right-away. No more because sooner or later my luck will run out I was taught when i got my license back home when making a U turn you must give way to all traffic What the hell were they taught here? Yes sometimes when there is a lot of traffic i do stop and let the U turn drivers through Its called being road polite

34 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

I have just decided to hand my Thai drivers license back after meeting that idiot at the U turn He nearly smashed into me because he thought he had right-away. No more because sooner or later my luck will run out I was taught when i got my license back home when making a U turn you must give way to all traffic What the hell were they taught here? Yes sometimes when there is a lot of traffic i do stop and let the U turn drivers through Its called being road polite

Your problem is that it’s the Thai driver needing to hand back his licence (although likely not even having one ????). They are taught nothing of value is the answer to your question and learn precisely nothing thereafter! If you’re not going to drive then you h ave to stay off the roads ,because if entrusting your safety to another Thai driver is increasing your risk exponentially.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

They seemed more interested in attempting to extract a bribe from me when I was pulled over and breathalised the other day, even though I told them I had not been drinking and the test was negative. They even went to the trouble of getting a different machine so I didn't have to test with the locals, offering the Police the opportunity to ask for a bribe had I been under the influence rather than following due process.

Could have worked in my favour if I was <deleted> up I suppose, but that defeats the purpose. 

Unfortunately you cannot change their base nature and this is why Thailand will never solve its problems.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They seemed more interested in attempting to extract a bribe from me when I was pulled over and breathalised the other day, even though I told them I had not been drinking and the test was negative. They even went to the trouble of getting a different machine so I didn't have to test with the locals, offering the Police the opportunity to ask for a bribe had I been under the influence rather than following due process.

Could have worked in my favour if I was <deleted> up I suppose, but that defeats the purpose. 

Unfortunately you cannot change their base nature and this is why Thailand will never solve its problems.

Hey....thought I was going to be a millionaire by now....re: the inside track on cryptos......what happened?