Higher Education Ministry Turns 37 Campuses into Field Hospitals

snoop1130

9b7d77478e1990e415ed903795fb67e3_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation has turned 37 universities and institutes nationwide into field hospitals and quarantine facilities in response to rising Covid-19 cases in the new wave.

Minister Anek Laothamatas said on Wednesday that every agency under the ministry has been instructed to survey suitable locations that can serve as additional field hospitals, as the ministry is committed to containing the outbreak as soon as possible.

The 37 universities and educational institutes that have been converted into field hospitals can accommodate 12,822 patients.

The sites are scattered across the country in major provinces, including Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Chiang Mai, Phitsanulok, Lampang, Nakhon Nayok, Amnat Charoen, Surin, Udon Thani, Chachoengsao, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Pattani, Narathiwat and Yala.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-04-15

They look like cardboard boxes placed together. However it illustrates how the penny has now dropped and this government is now running scared of a rapid increase in infections, or else they can not now hide the true infection rate. Or could these field hospitals be forward planning for another event ?

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

has turned 37 universities and institutes nationwide into field hospitals and quarantine facilities

this seems like a BIG number .......  I don't even think western countries are turning 37 universities into field hospitals...

well, let's see what the future holds..... good luck everyone

Just now, Ventenio said:

this seems like a BIG number .......  I don't even think western countries are turning 37 universities into field hospitals...

well, let's see what the future holds..... good luck everyone

Western countries don't hospitalise those with mild or no symptoms.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, timmyp said:

Great way to get a foothold in and control those universities that would otherwise lead protests critical of the government. I'm sure that's just an unrelated coincidence. 

What? Are you some kind of conspiracy theorist !?!

Besides uni's are closed now. 

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, timmyp said:

Great way to get a foothold in and control those universities that would otherwise lead protests critical of the government. I'm sure that's just an unrelated coincidence. 

You weren't here during the 2014 coup?  The universities went on strike and students marched to call for the coup.

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Minister Anek Laothamatas said on Wednesday that every agency under the ministry has been instructed to survey suitable locations that can serve as additional field hospitals, as the ministry is committed to containing the outbreak as soon as possible

Obviously expecting a problem

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

You weren't here during the 2014 coup?  The universities went on strike and students marched to call for the coup.

And you clearly were not here in 1992 and I have no wish to witness a repeat of that and I suspect nor would most of the population.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yes, I was here, and that's exactly my point, unless you are implying that the universities support the current regime (and I assume you're not saying that)

On 4/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, Curt1591 said:

What? Are you some kind of conspiracy theorist !?!

Besides uni's are closed now. 

My post was about the use of universities as quarantine centres, instead of some other area. It's not any statement at all about the dangers posed by covid, or criticising the science. Obviously quarantine facilities should be prepared, not even sure why I have to defend myself here... 

I'm guessing you're one of the people who immediately points a finger for ideas that differ with the government line. Give this a moment of thought: Is it really so crazy to think that the government would use covid as an excuse in an attempt to control a hot spot of anti-gov protests? Saying that it's not crazy doesn't mean that you think that covid isn't dangerous, or that quarantine facilities aren't needed. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, timmyp said:

Yes, I was here, and that's exactly my point, unless you are implying that the universities support the current regime (and I assume you're not saying that)

And I was responding to "John Drake".  So quite confused why you answered on his behalf. Apologies if I misunderstood that, must be time for my medication !!  However in answer to your question your assumptions are correct and I think that most students at Universities together with many outside people do not support the current regime and anything it currently stands for.  However as all education establishments outside of the state system are run for profit here I have no idea as to whether the owners and managers of these establishment think likewise.

Edited by Excel
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timmyp said:

My post was about the use of universities as quarantine centres, instead of some other area. It's not any statement at all about the dangers posed by covid, or criticising the science. Obviously quarantine facilities should be prepared, not even sure why I have to defend myself here... 

I'm guessing you're one of the people who immediately points a finger for ideas that differ with the government line. Give this a moment of thought: Is it really so crazy to think that the government would use covid as an excuse in an attempt to control a hot spot of anti-gov protests? Saying that it's not crazy doesn't mean that you think that covid isn't dangerous, or that quarantine facilities aren't needed. 

Don't get your knickers in a bunch. It was sarcastic humor. 

Want to know where I stand on "government's" decisions on Covid? I always look at the money. Money given to politicians says more than any science in that area. 

Take the USA for example. Illustrated below is who pays the most for "better government", aka lobbies. It also shows who might benefit the most from lockdowns and mandatory vaccinations.

lobbying.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Don't get your knickers in a bunch. It was sarcastic humor. 

Want to know where I stand on "government's" decisions on Covid? I always look at the money. Money given to politicians says more than any science in that area. 

Take the USA for example. Illustrated below is who pays the most for "better government", aka lobbies. It also shows who might benefit the most from lockdowns and mandatory vaccinations.

I see that now. Totally sorry for getting my knickers all bunched up. We're on the same page, I think. 

• Like 1